***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

No - they don’t.

The reason I highlighted UNPAID is that for IMGs, it may make sense to emphasize that in the medical elective/rotations letter they obtain from the university/hospital they are doing rotations.
It just makes it clear for the Immigration officers.
End of the day, they will decide your entry.

1 Like

Hi! I was wondering if your personal statement on the Common App has to be about medicine? I have a family friend who was an admissions officer at one, and she said you should probably include a little something about medicine. I’m applying to both bsmds and regular 4 year colleges, and I have a pretty good essay written but nothing about medicine. Is that okay? Also are there any resources that anyone knows of about how to write essays for bsmds? Thank you!

Hello

New parent here. A friend point me here.
Totally confused about the BS MD application process.

There is a mention of external counseling/ consultant by @mywish4u, @nbaj123, @dudeperfect, @happyFlamingo.

Can you share the contact details of them?

Others also please share any guidance to help me get a handle on this process.

1 Like

If you have the resources to hire a consultant, it’ll make your students’ life more organized, but by the time they are in the application phase, they pretty much either have it or not have the minimum profile to be considered for the program. In my opinion, the two areas that the professional might add value: personal statement (the why medicine essay and other essays to supplement this) and interview prep. Even then it’s not impossible to do both of those on your own.
I just want to add that there is so much collective wisdom and experience in this forum from our senior contributors that you’ll generally can find out almost anything about any program.

2 Likes

The medical schools collect money from students and pay it to the hospitals or whoever to cover the cost of training. The 3rd and 4th years are considered a burden on the hospitals (!).

I find it interesting that the Harvards and Stanfords collect 65k in tuition while the state schools collect 20-45k for the same and state is subsidizing the rest when the students spend most of their 2 to 2.5 years running around hospitals, learning from interns, residents and attendees. Not sure who exactly gets the money - does the hospital pay attendees with that money or use it for general expenses or does the university keep the money?

1 Like

I found an article that addresses the real cost of running a medical school. Really eye-opening. It’s hard to believe that med schools pays more per student to keep the school above water than what they get in tuition. https://medschoolinsiders.com/pre-med/the-cost-of-medical-school-explained/

1 Like

@BSMDDad1-

How to get into BSMD checklist (previously, I shared this in 2020-21, 2021-2022 forums)

I would recommend looking at stats/perspectives posted in the BS MD results cc forum for 2020/2019/2018. The later ones are better. Admission process in my opinion keeps getting more competitive year over year. Based on the stats /perspectives shared by many students/parents in BS MD results forum, I have summarized the findings into ten points -

1. For BS/MD admissions, strategy is very important for coming up with a college list (BSMD programs vs. UG college ratio). Many people including @rk2017 has posted on these.
  2. Soft factors (essays, interviews) are also important and many people have quoted this to be the deciding factor
  3. Medical ECs are more important than regular ECs. These provide material for essays and interviews. Some questions to think on - “Why medicine? Why BSMD?”
  4. BSMD programs seem to care for clinical research and patient facing volunteering.
  5. Stats such as GPA, Test scores, APs are all important and used for screening students. Once interview invite is received, all students are at the same level.
  6. STEM awards at national, state level for competitions (USNCO, USABO, AMC/AIME), Intel research, science Olympiads etc. are considered best for BS MD. Some students also have mentioned publishing papers or holding patents on their inventions. On the other hand, having a holistic, balanced profile with music, sports etc. cannot go wrong either. BSMDs are looking for very well accomplished students beyond their near perfect stats.
  7. Non-medical ECs such as varsity sports, Robotics etc. take up a lot of time. Kids need to strategize, pick and choose their ECs carefully at the beginning of the high school.
  8. Earlier Admission guidance (via CC or any other) could be important for coming up with a strategy, college list. Many people have quoted benefit and wished they look at CC earlier.
  9. Competition for BS MD is cut-throat (there are way too many qualified candidates). Apply widely to BSMD programs and some strong UGs (reach, match, safety). On an average, students interested in BSMD have ended up applying to 18 colleges not including the secondary medical college application/essays.
  10. Start working on applications early during the summer of junior year. Start with a resume, some staple essays (Why medicine, Why BSMD program, Why particular college) etc.

Finally, there are two major ways of becoming a Doctor - 95% of the students apply to medical school via Undergrad route and only 5% via BSMD. So apply widely but keep an open mind about the various colleges.

3 Likes

@newt_15 - Yes, I agree with @junebug20 - excellent idea on mapping with AAMC’s physicians’ core competencies

Your videos are great and well thought out!

You should have your kid review the videos that @newt_15 put together

Points 7 and 8 are very complicated.

It is very hard to discourage your kid from pursuing their passions. I told my older D that her rank will drop if she did orchestra because it required one year of regular music while everyone else will get honors credit for an alternate class (1.25 vs 1) and she will lose the rank. Just by picking that one class in 9th, her rank dropped by 10 in the school. She wanted to do music as an IB subject and the heart wants what it wants!

Having known all this ahead of time, I couldn’t force my kid to do what I thought helped. Most parents here show up probably when their kids are in 10th or 11th which is when people start college planning. At that point they are still figuring out whether their kids measure up to be able to apply and where.

I still remember some of my first posts here on CC in 2010-2011 complaining about programs like RSI not picking my daughter who had almost perfect scores and started talking to another parent who said his kid had perfect scores (not ALMOST) and was also not picked! Both of our kids were classmates in undergrad!

1 Like

I think @newt_15 has set the new bar for reporting back results. That was impressive and well thought out. She’s confident enough to show the world her emotions through various stages of her long journey. I’m not sure everyone is cut out for that, but kudos to her for a job well done!

@BSMDDad1 Everyone usually follows what they’ve seen others have done to accomplish similar goals, but this is the first time I’ve seen the ECs matched up to the AAMC physicians’ core competencies. That’s a really good angle to approach. I think it would definitely help someone write the medical school personal statement (why medicine).

2 Likes

Interesting email one of my students received from the Yeshiva/Einstein BS/MD program on their request for more information:

"You aren’t eligible for this program unless you are an Orthodox Jew or are willing to spend six hours per day learning Hebrew and studying Jewish religious texts in addition to your secular studies. "

Wow!
Is this even legal? Does this count as discrimination on religious grounds?

Thank you very much @junebug20 and @Vicky2019
Truly appreciate your great advice and guidance here.

@Vicky2019 my child has been working on the common app essay in the summer - but only in late July. I seemed to like it but when it was shown to his English teacher there was some strong feedback. So it is back to the drawing board and it just feels we are short of time.

Thank you for your message as well.

We are overwhelmed and thanks to my friend for directing me here.
Still consuming all the information here.

1 Like

@NoviceDad

Can you please message me?
I somehow cannot message you.
(But I could reply to @Vicky2019 message. Something is strange.)

That program was on our list.
I guess we have to drop it.

That is a good question.
I also want to know about this.

Sounds pretty shocking. Is there something that Yeshiva needs for an admission?

I see a couple of articles stating different things - one saying rules to be determined and the other primarily discussing scores.

Yes its allowed … and they state is “Very clearly in their website and application”

Many of my students try that… and i have to point to them… that “CATCH/requirement” … LOL

1 Like

Yes, it is shocking.
Seems like a requirement they do not adverse.

@Rali_Jan
Here is the link to the program:

Nowhere do they mention you need to be an Orthodox Jew or spend 6 hours studying Hebrew and Hewish religious texts.
They mention an optional 1-year program in Isreal.

Can you point in where on their website they state one must be a Jew or study Hebrew?

advertise (not adverse)
Sorry for the typo

2 Likes