***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

My personal opinion is that you should not be stating you are getting an associate degree when you apply to colleges, BS/MD or otherwise. You can have dual credits but stating that you are getting an associates or aiming for one does put you in a different category for admissions, almost like a transfer student.

I think you have to disclose it and submit the transcript as well. It states all transcripts of all institutions attended (I think).
Also if it is a dual program with high school I think the highschool transcript may state it or the HS Counselor letter may state it.
So it is not good to omit these things depending on the wordings in the application.

1 Like

Most programs typically require you to NOT yet graduated high school.

Is the associate degree important to you?
If not, disclose the courses you have taken as college-level courses and not get the degree.
That will avoid any grey areas for interpretation.

2 Likes

My own experience based on what my kids told me about some JAMPers they had in their summer mini medical programs say that thereā€™s little dumbing down. The competitive spirit is as high among them. These summer programs are a bonus to the BSMD students, but they are intended to be used for match placement for the JAMPers. As a result, all of them studied into the nights and some actually got much better assessment scores than their BSMD counterparts. At Baylor COM, any student without any immediate family members who work as a physician is considered ā€œfirst generation.ā€ They have advisors, counselors, tutoring for them. All they need to do is to come forward and ask for help. I wonder if most med schools are like that.

1 Like

For people worried after Northwestern, Rice, BU, Cincinnati etc programs all closed, Brown has no intention of shutting down PLME. They just did an internal and external review and found ā€œAll three reports agreed that the Program in Liberal Medical Education continues to be a successful signature program of Brown University and The Warren Alpert Medical School, as measured by longevity, graduation rate, and satisfaction among its students and graduates. Moreover, it serves an important role in empowering people with different perspectives and backgrounds to enter the field of medicine.ā€

1 Like

@ramen2020
Is the Cincinnati program closed?
https://med.uc.edu/connections-dual-admissions/home

Agree. I am stating that you list the dual classes without an intent to obtain an associate degree which can automatically be considered transfer student status.

1 Like

Thanks for your responses @NoviceDad and @texaspg. So, can I submit my college transcript and just not say that I am getting an Associateā€™s degree? Why should I not get an Associateā€™s degree though? Does it disqualify me from the BS/MD programs?

@ghermione
IMO, Except UMKC, no other program accepts transfer students.
I suggest, better checking UMKC BAMD program reqs. Good luck.

1 Like

It is in grey area and you want to avoid that.
You want to make them easier to select you.

It is not just the question of saying you are not getting an Associateā€™s degree.
You should make sure you do not get awarded one.

U-Cinn BS/MD is open for applications!

1 Like

Hey everyone! Iā€™m planning to apply to quite a few BSMD programs for the 2023 admissions cycle. I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether I should go test-optional given my application description. For context, I am a senior at a Health Sciences Magnet Academy.

Grades:
Unweighted GPA: 3.9/4.0
Weighted GPA: 4.5/4.0
6 AP Classes, all other classes are honors and DCC health science (Med term, Anat & Phys, Clinical Research, etc)

SAT: 1500 (740 Verbal, 760 Math) No superscore.

ECS:
Very very good

• Lots of leadership (Pres. of Student Gov., Board of Ed Position, P/VP of three local councils, President of State Executive Council w/ over 80 local chapters
  • Nearly 1,000+ total hours of direct patient care (certified EMT, shadow, hospital volunteer, etc.)

Letter of Recs are also good and current BSMD prog students have told me my essays are pretty strong compared to their upon application time.

Unfortunately, my SAT score is a 1500 which is mid-tier for competitive programs like Penn State PMM. Do you think I should go test-optional or itā€™s fine to submit and still be a competitive applicant?

In my personal opinion, an associate degree is meant for obtaining jobs and adds little value (probably more negative) when applying for BS/MD. If I am not mistaken many in California attend community colleges to transition to a 4 year program (last two years) with an associate degree and they have specified curriculums in place at the 4 year colleges to accept the associate degree and provide guidance as to what they do in the last two years. The moment you mention an associate degree, the first thing admissions will think of is that you are not a true freshman.

In the end, my guess is that @NoviceDad and I are agreeing with your private counselors more than with your school counselors - dont get that degree, just to do the courses you want.

1 Like

I was thinking that if I get accepted into a BS/MD, then I can choose to not get my degree. Would that work?

Why is that associate degree that important to you?

If you are Asian-American, yes, do test optional.

Penn state PMM programā€™s deadline is 10/15. My D submitted her application on Thursday with ā€œinclude SATā€ option but sent her SAT score only yesterday. We didnā€™t know SAT score will be sent by college board only on certain days! Now the application shows SAT score is missing:(
We called the admissions office to change her application as test-optional but there was no one to attend the call. So sent an email requesting the same.
Is there any other other way to still consider her application?

You donā€™t know if her application wonā€™t be considered. I think the email explaining why she wants to go test-optional should do the job. Hopefully, sheā€™ll hear from them comes Monday. If not, she should follow up with them.

2 Likes

Check if you can change it online.
Otherwise, they may consider your application incomplete.

We donā€™t see an option to change it online but in FAQ they have mentioned that we can send an email before Nov 1 to change that. It is a little confusing as in one page 10/15 was given as the deadline for PMM and in some other pages it was 11/1.
So keeping our fingers crossed.