***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Most people don’t prefer sharing such details (consultant contacts, personal info) on a public forum. The best way is to reach them directly by Private/Direct messaging (often shortcut as PM/DM by folks here).

To private message an individual, click on their name handle and it opens up his/her profile (if they chose not to hide it). For example if it is me you need to PM, you need to click on rk2017 at the top of this message. You should see a click button “Message” and once you click, it opens a text box for you to type in and a send or similar option at the bottom to send it. If they respond, whenever you login to this forum you will see some sort of indication and also get an email.

However if you are new here and haven’t yet posted certain number of messages (believe 15 before they upgraded, but not sure if they still have that restriction), you may not even see the option to Message someone. You will have to be patient till you post enough messages on college confidential and keep checking for the option to be activated automatically.

2 Likes

Thank you.
This is very helpful.

I will reach out to them privately.

Looks like I need a minimum number of posts like you suggested before I can see the message option.

So, I will wait till I reach that number.

Maybe you can request those folks to message you directly.
You can reply to their messages.

ok.
Hopefully they will read this general message and respond.

I will send you a direct message.

Thank you.

Thank you.

1 Like

@mywish4u
How did your discussions with the colleges go? Any changes?

Thank you @mywish4u
I did reach out to the coach and will be having a discussion later today.
Will see how it goes.

All

Any suggestions on what I should get my child to do for the summer. They got rejected from the summer research programs they applied for.
Thinking of enrolling them in some summer college courses. Is that a good idea?

Make sure your child gets enough medical-related experiences - shadowing, volunteering, and any community service-related ECs.

Summer college courses - They should be driven by any needed requisites for the following year.

3 Likes

Thank you.
This is helpful.

I am reminded of @GoldenRock 's detailed post on possible pitfalls with college level courses while still in high school. While it looks attractive to put on your college application that the student over achieved beyond their peer level, any bad grade(s) can potentially haunt them for a long time, especially if going traditional route, since during med school application it seems every college level course and the grade has to be listed on some common application. Some college level courses like differential equations can be very challenging for a high schooler since you are in a class with fellows above your peer level in a competitive setup and need to keep up to the expectations of the college faculty. You can search for @GoldenRock 's posts and go through them in this regard. Think s/he posted in last year’s general thread or the year prior.

Of course child did couple of college level courses while in HS (Business/economics and English) and got A-s in both and so didn’t matter, more so bcoz of being BS/MD route further. So if they are more like humanities/liberal arts kind it may be fine but be very careful in science, math etc and do due diligence like finding out course rigor, load, grading toughness etc before deciding. Also many private universities may not give credit or ask the students to take higher level course in place of it, so won’t benefit much (except may be in state schools)

3 Likes

JMHO…

You got to be careful to NOT “overwhelm” or “burn” kids and they end up hating the whole process.

I have seen kids doing sports practice for varsity team to kids doing "college level courses " and I have seen “good and didn’t matter” in all cases. It’s purely individual centric on how much a person can take with interest.

I usually recommend to sprinkle some fun activity (of their choice) along with some other (study) to keep in balance.

Good luck

2 Likes

@NoviceDad - Can you please PM me? I am looking for guidance on BSMD college list for my D.

Done.

1 Like

@mywish4u

Thank you for the consultant info.
I had a very fruitful discussion.

1 Like

You are welcome.

FYI

Also a post from the previous thread, with reference to similar claims (4th paragraph)