***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Like others said…

Colleges trust your Kid and takes their words for granted.

But they can smell it from far behind… similar to how they can smell plagiarism on essays (or others writing).

If they get caught then it’s much worse (maybe upto blacklist).

1 Like

I’ll give a counter opinion to what most are saying:

My sister went to Cornell the last 4 years for pre med and she has LOVED it. Despite the grade deflation, she has maintained a 3.85 and a 98th percentile MCAT. She did this while taking courses like Organic Chem and Physics at the same time. Although Cornell is a difficult place grade wise, don’t be scared off by it. It is a wonderful campus, has the ivy name, and in the end, Med school ADCOMS will take into account grade deflation at any school when evaluating the candidate. If your daughter falls in love with Cornell, don’t be afraid to pursue it just because you’re scared of grade deflation. If she works hard, then she can easily overcome it.

3 Likes

GPA deflation consideration is in comparison to other applicants from the same school. Your sister did quite well GPA wise and so she wouldn’t have seen much of a problem when she applied but since she has 3.85, someone applying with her from Cornell and having 3.6 to the same schools as her would be completely ignored. If someone went from Texas to Cornell and got 3.7, the top schools in Texas would not accept them unless they had the 95%ile + MCAT to go with it to compensate for the 3.7 GPA. We have a 90% residency requirement and many like to have variety in student population but what ends up happening is many top students do apply back home, get admitted and not actually attend.

The leeway is 0.1 or less GPA for most schools to decide whether they want to admit an Ivy league student compared to someone else they are considering assuming they had something more to offer to compensate for lower GPA. The top students applying from each school at many schools and getting admitted everywhere blocks everyone else with a lower GPA even from getting interviews.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information!

1 Like

Would an Asian female with a 1510 SAT and a 4.0 UW GPA have a shot at a BS/MD program?

1510 is an excellent SAT score. But as you have read, BSMD admission is harder than Ivy admissions. Your SAT may be in the lower 25% percentile of average SAT scores in BSMD, which means, students with your SAT scores have been admitted previously. Those students must have had excellent ECs and essays to make up for that SAT score, so make sure you are good into those areas. Good luck.

Your SAT score is on the lower side.
Please explore if you can give it one more time in the August/September time frame.

If needed, take some tutoring help to improve on your weaknesses.

@amperee
5-10 years ago 1510 SAT (convert to old SAT format) would have been a competing score, but not now. Assuming you are applying for Fall 2023, you have over a year to retake SAT for improvement. Check if you can write ACT and score 35 or above. You can try the test-optional route too, if the program allows. Good luck.

1 Like

If they are applying for Fall 2023, they only have till October to take a test, as practically all BS/MD programs will have deadlines from Nov 1 to Jan 15.

1 Like

Looking at two BS/DO programs: LECOM EAP or NSU/KPCOM.
Which one do you think is more competitive (4+4)?

Also, does anybody know what NSU Premier Application is asking for? The form is currently closed (will reopen in August). Just curious to know what they are asking…
And is there a benefit to apply early? I know you get the answer from NSU 2 weeks after the interview, but does interviewing earlier increase your chances of acceptance?

Does getting your EMT certification at 17 look good for programs? Will be applying fall of 2023.

1 Like

Yes, it helps but it depends what you did after you got one.

Both are competitive.

Question - why a particular interest in Nova?

Any chance you have some program related statistics to share?

Why Nova? My kid seems to like that college (at least based on the Internet search, we have not visited), the dual admission program is larger (unlike others with very few spots) and matriculation requirements seem somewhat reasonable.

@2018Summer2018
In the Fall 2022 results thread, @moodybluepapaya posted a good review of several BSDO programs including Nova/NSU BSDO. You may want to check out.

1 Like

Yes, I saw that incredibly detailed and helpful post. Thank you so much for mentioning it!
I was hoping somebody else will share their experience as well.

1 Like

NOVA has a beautiful campus. One of the best dorms for undergrad students.
the undergrad is manageable and with the appropriate effort, you can maintain the 3.5+ GPA needed.
NOVA medical school had some challenges in its 2018-2020 period where its COMLEX scores and residency match results were relatively lower for an established school. This was also the time when the management was focused on getting its MD school up and running. I see in 2021, the COMLEX and residency matches have improved.
The medical school administration at NOVA is stricter than its undergrad.

LECOM has over 100+ feeder schools giving you an option to pick an undergrad school that aligns with your interests. It has collectively more seats than NOVA. LECOM also has a dress code and mandatory attendance.

1 Like

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I also noticed that LECOM matriculation requirements are less strict than the ones for Nova.
My kid wants to apply to both.

LECOM changed the admission process and became much more competitive in the cycle that just passed. I tried to be in touch with them directly to get some statistics, but it does not look like they are willing to share it. I wonder if anybody here has any insight.

Nova was a bit more open and said that average SAT for accepted applicants was 1400 last year (I wonder how it related to LECOM averages). I also asked them about program attrition rate, but they said they do not keep track of it because the program is non-binding and students can enter a different agreement within Nova, change their mind or simply apply out. I also read somewhere that many students fail to achieve MCAT score requirements (502).
Deadline to apply is February 1. I wonder if doing it earlier increases acceptance chances because they accept students on a rolling basis (2 weeks after interview).
LECOM announces their decisions in March for all. So, it sounds like it does not matter when to apply to LECOM.

I also heard that LECOM EAP form is super simple unlike Nova’s form. Does anybody know what Nova is asking in their Premier Application?

1 Like

University of Nevada - Reno will not be accepting applications for this 2022-23 cycle.

UNR Med’s BS-MD Pathway Program is currently on hold for a comprehensive review of our pathway programs’ objectives, curriculum and outcomes.

As a result, we will not accept applications, nor will we matriculate a BS-MD class for the 2022-23 academic year.

Wow!
Any chance you are aware of any new programs that are opening up in the upcoming cycle?