***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

Last year, my daughter submitted the AMC supplemental November last week and got the interview invite on Jan 4th. I think her interview was also sometime in January. She applied thru Union.

1 Like

I agree. No need for a third one–I submitted my research mentor and my chemistry teacher.

2 Likes

I said those who could handle stress at a competitive high school will also do well at tier 1 UG schools

2 Likes

FYI –
TCNJ has started forwarding applicants to NJMS.

1 Like

@NoviceDad I haven’t herd from NJIT honors program yet. When I last checked with them in Nov, they said they are sending invites in December as well. Will they notify
if they don’t send interview for honors program?

@CottonTales
IMO, you my be able to find answers to your questions in this thread “BSMD vs Traditional Path”:

1 Like

Scored doesn’t matter, when Upstate selected and sent you the supplement for the feeder, move forward. Good luck!!!

select medicine and pay

Yes, they communicate if they do not interview you for the honors program.

1 Like

I know that thread. I’m just wondering why most BSMD applications are middle eastern

Where did you get that? Most are south East Asian and toughest ethnicity to get medical college admissions. Given that they are opting for BSMD.

2 Likes

@CottonTales
In the US, over 2,000 colleges and universities offer four-year programs in which students earn a bachelor’s degree. “Crappy” in general means “very poor quality” or “bad quality”. You need to define “Better UG”, is that mean T10 or T20 or even T100? Most BSMD schools are within 100 of the US News ranking. BTW, there is an HYPSM acronym popular within T10. Is HYPSM better UG instead?, and all rest are “Crappy”? The Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) is an accrediting body for educational programs at schools of medicine in the United States and Canada. Without LCME accreditation, graduates of medical schools can’t enter into residency to my knowledge. On a separate note, two known people in my circle went on two different paths. One went to T50 school for UG, landed in T4 medical school, then went to T50 school for residency. The other went to MIT, then to T50 school in FL for medicine, and now applying for residency. A family physician I met told me recently “hardly 2-3 patients asked me where I did my UG - in 2 decades of my service”. If someone is interested in the academic or research side of medicine, obviously prestige matters. Prestige in residency matters too, but only after 20-30 other factors such as Step 2 score, Grades, Personal Statement, Dean’s letter, etc. If someone wants to pursue a BS/MD route as guaranteed admission towards fulfilling their dreams of serving needy people in emergency medicine or something else, why do they have to sweat the traditional path at a “better UG” school shelling out nearly $70K/yr school fees? In general, any UG school is typically associated with a nearly 83% pre-med dropout rate and a nearly 33% success rate in the MD admission after that. BS/MD seats are typically less than 5% of the total MD seats that are available across the nation. So nearly 95% of physicians come out of the traditional path anyway.

5 Likes

Sorry, that is what I meant.

1 Like

Same here for my son. Union to AMC interview.

FYI -

Drexel has started forwarding applications to its medical school.

4 Likes

@NoviceDad Do you know how many students are forwarded from TCNJ to NJMS at this stage ? Also, is there a percentage from that list who will get an interview?

1 Like

Reading from some past posts, it was reported that Drexel forwards all (that meets the minimum criteria) to Med School (some lamented that this is an effort to collect as many $100 fee they can). Do you know if they apply any further criteria besides minimum qualification to pass the application to medical school ? Is there any stats how many are forwarded to medical school ?

No this is not true. My C got rejected and we didn’t have to fork out the $100 fee. He got the grade, score and EC. It could be that his essay wasn’t that convincing and his research experience wasn’t substantial. Perhaps Drexel minimum for going forward to its med school is high enough that they actually filtered out quite a bit. They definitely didn’t go for the fee.

2 Likes

Here is from 2022 session

1 Like

Thanks. That’s very useful. Does this mean all 811 applicants were forwarded to Med School ?

2 Likes