***Thread for BS/MD/DO 2022-2023***

811 students sent to Med School. Out of 811- Med School invited 127 for interview.

1 Like

My D also got the email. Did everyone who applied for BS/MD get this email or did they filter some folks out? $100 Fees - while not exorbitant, hurts a bit!

1 Like

From TCNJ’s FAQ for last year (Please note they have received a lot more applicants this year, so I have not idea how these numbers will turn out):

What is a typical numeric breakdown of the high school senior applicant pool for the Seven-Year Medical program at TCNJ?

Applicant Pool Number
Students who apply 400
Students academically eligible to interview 200
Students who receive an interview at TCNJ 100
Students who receive an interview at NJMS 80
Students who are accepted into the Seven-Year Program 40
Students who enter the program Fall semester 20
1 Like

That is not true.
While in the past, Drexel Medical school had rejected students within 2-3 days of submitting the application fee, Drexel undergrad does NOT send all applicants to the medical school.

Stats from their website:
For fall 2022, the applicant pool for the BS/BA+MD Early Assurance Program comprised the following:

• 2,705 total applicants.
  • 811 applicants met the minimum GPA, SAT/ACT and deadline requirements to be reviewed by the Drexel University College of Medicine.
  • 127 applicants were selected for an interview.
  • 63 students were admitted to the program.

Thank you for responding and posting the stats.
I did not realize you had done it and I basically reposted the same stats.

Please see responses from @ToBeGrad and myself.

Thanks for your replies to many of the queries. It is perplexing to note that Drexel gets so many application (2705) vs your other post regarding TCNJ where they only get 400 applications. My understanding is that Drexel program is no loner a true BSMD program whereas TCNJ is. I still think 811 forwards to Med school is too many and may have some motives. If you compare with TCNJ, Drexel ratio is 811/127 (6.5 forwards) vs TCNJ is 200/80 (2.5 forwards). Of course comparison is not exactly comparable as Drexel does not do an undergrad interview.

Better comparison would be to combine all feeder programs into NJMS and then compare the stats with Drexel.

I can feel the frustration(don’t we all feel same?) though.

Drexel is considered a national program as a private school and students who applied to all the others without wondering about the instate bias also applied to Drexel. There may be a generation or two of Drexel BS/MD graduates out there just like PLME.

I am curious how long TCNJ program has been around and how many OOS students get admitted.

2 Likes

Drexel is a true BS/MD- if you meet the undergrad requirements, your medical school seat is guaranteed.
So, is TCNJ/NJMS.

I would not attribute any motives to numbers being forwarded.
Every college/program comes up with a process they have fine-tuned over the year and worked for them.
The ratio that you are calculating gets skewed if there are more applicants.
Hypothetically, let’s say, this year, TCNJ gets 800 applicants, 600 are eligible for interviews, and NJMS only interviews 80 as before, wouldn’t your ratio change?

So, why does Drexel get more applicants?
I think simply because its intake is higher!

4 Likes

Here are the Fall 2021 Drexel Stats
# of applicants interviewed is almost the same even though they received 358 more applications in Fall 2022.

• 2348 total applicants.
  • 716 applicants met the minimum GPA, SAT/ACT and deadline requirements to be reviewed by the Drexel
  • 123 applicants were selected for an interview.
  • 60 students were admitted to the program.
1 Like

Does anyone know more information about CUNY Hunter College and the University of Memphis’s BS/DO programs with NYITCOM? I cannot find much information.

I am not aware of any linkage between NYITCOM and Univ of Memphis or CUNY Hunter. But NYIT COM does have a lot of linkages. The ones that I know of are:

1. Adelphi
  2. Arkansas State Univ
  3. NYIT
  4. St. Bonaventure
  5. SUNY Geneseo
  6. SUNY New Paltz
  7. SUNY Old Westbury

The numbers on the TCNJ may have been outdated and probably not updated in ages. Some time ago I think I checked the source page of that url in chrome, showing the html tags and all that, and it showed some far out dated date as being when it was last updated. May be that’s why you will find the same static info every year. Probably deliberate on their part for whatever reasons.

Though Drexel doesn’t have an interview before matriculation into med school, they converted it from erstwhile 7 year duration to the current 8 years one with a mandatory coop for undergrad (guess no tuition and some income generation too). But the MCAT requirements were a tag higher, something like 88% ile with minimum to be achieved in each section. Some students may find that as an additional burden. The reason for high number of applications may be because of the prime location. But you don’t have to consider the raw numbers since most of them didn’t meet the minimum application requirements bar.

1 Like

Hi,
Which combined program were you in (Siena, Union, RPI)? I recently got my supplemental from Albany as I had applied to through Siena. Any guidance would be really helpful haha. Siena is very community-service oriented and they are asking me what project I would start to help the underserved population. I’m not sure if I will get an interview or not but what kinds of questions did they ask you during your interview? Thank you so much!

Actually what were your stats like?

What extracurriculars do they expect?

@rk2017
You are correct on TCNJ numbers. The numbers didn’t change on their website since Jan 2021. One can reach out to the TCNJ admissions office or the “7-Year BS/MD Program Office” to ask for current stats. Hopefully, they will provide the current data.

https://biology.tcnj.edu/academics/medical-careers/7-year-medical-program/

1 Like

Hi! I applied to a lot of BS/MD and BS/DO programs. I do not think that I will get into any BS/MD. Currently, I got into Seton Hall’s early assurance program (8 years) and I also got into the NYIT-NYITCOM program (7 years). Which choice do you think is better?

I understand that getting a DO degree may make it hard to get good residencies or pursue certain areas. Honestly, I have no idea about surgery or not, but I do not want to limit my options. So I am not sure if getting a DO is the right call or if I should go to Seton Hall’s MD program (they only guarantee an interview).
Thoughts?

Hackensack meridian is a brand new school but by the time of entry it will have graduated the first batch of students.

They are predicting cost of attendance at 111k which seems rather high.