***Thread For BS/MD/DO 2023-2024 Applicants/Parents ***

Perhaps this should read “sometimes student opt to apply only to residency programs in regions where they want to settle”.

Residency match is done by a computer algorithm. Once the rank order list is submitted…the student is done “opting”.

4 Likes

Penn State PMM:

The deadline is now Oct 10 - it seems these deadlines are getting earlier and earlier!

Also the language on test-optional changed this year: “Students applying for admission to the PMM program have the option of having their SAT/ACT scores included in their evaluation for admission through Fall 2024.”

They have also shared some stats:
Average SAT: 1570
Average ACT: 36
Range of score of students selected for interviews: 1510 to 1600

2 Likes

Those are heady numbers. With that level of achievement, how do they even choose someone going in test optional?

1 Like

Past 2-3 years, about 7-10% of students selected have been test-optional based on what I am hearing.

2 Likes

May be they fall into certain categories

3 Likes

Even if 7 - 10% may seem a lot please understand it is 1 - 2 students… Mayyyyy be 3 (generally not 3)… out of 25-30 students

That sounds like the program could be reassessing whether or not they want to go without test scores after 2024.

1 Like

It could mean 5 - 8 kids at the interview stage.

I guess the current batch of students/parents are not active.

May be no one is applying after reading last year thread :smiling_face:

Maybe a lot of students are taking the tradition route to medical school…which is what most doctors do anyway.

A lot of those who got into BSMD programs that allow applying out would also consider applying out if their MCAT and GPA qualify them for either better or cheaper med schools depending on their goals and pocketbooks. I highly encourage this approach. Based on our family experience, definitely start the BSMD program as if you’re going to apply out and not to slack off. Also, definitely apply to get the committee letters from the prehealth advisory committee. Even though AMCAS has no preference, a lot of med schools still prefer the committee letters over individual LORs.

We are going to be applying this year. But with recent SCOTUS ruling on affirmative action, We are contemplating on if we are under selling. We understand risk/rewards on both combined and traditional route. I left the choice to my DS. He is going to make his first major decision as an adult on this. I will keep our progress/thoughts posted.

1 Like

Admissions won’t link admission to races but can link it to socioeconomic status to meet their DEI desire. You will encounter this in either admission route to med school.

I totally agree. I am reading that there will be hawkish watching as the pot is already stirred for overly depending on DEI at a class level vs depending on individual experiences. Its common risk on both sides.

One can always counter the privileges that one was born with by doing the activities that address social inequality. That kind of activities should also address the AAMC core competencies for medical students.

I often heard of “checking all the boxes” for med school applications, but not until my son showed me a message inviting premeds to participate in a webinar where the core competencies would be discussed that I could see how the desirable activities fit into the competency model.

1 Like

Actually, a lot of students are applying and are active on Reddit.
For some reason, participation here is very low.

1 Like

Reddit is for actual applicants and this is for parents :smiling_face:

And parents read more than talk :joy:.

Not in BSMD threads, majority of talk is by parents (and parents turned consultants) over last 7 years I have followed.