Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I mean. A downside I see is the fact that interview is in fourth year. At that point, you would have to do all of the EC’s and MCAT that normal pre-meds need and still do well on the interview. Basically, i see it very similar to a pre-med program. The interview conditional guarantee is helpful but doesn’t seem like much of an advantage since you still have to do all the shadowing, volunteer work etc etc of a normal pre med.

it is seton hall bs md not bs do

I have two close friends who went to SLU through med scholars and are now in med school. They were good students in high school, but not the top of the top. They told me it’s a really good option if you are ready to put in the work. I know there is some debate around EAPs in this chat and obviously it would be optimal to get into a BSMD out of high school, but an EAP program is a great option. The matriculation rates are often low, but it is usually because not all the people in the program are super strong. From what I heard at SLU, almost everyone who can hold their own freshman year can make it. Also a benefit of an EAP program over regular admissions (even with an MCAT requirement) is the spacing of the MCAT and applications. You get the time to write your essays without having to juggle MCAT, and if you get in, your complete focus that last year is the MCAT opposed to MCAT + Applications.

Understood. That makes sense. Thank you.

Were you already notified for a supplemental application to hofstra BS/MD? I have yet to get accepted and its been almost a month and I went through the “preferred application portal”.

But compared to SLU and Seton Hall, isnt USF a better Pre-Med School. And dont they have a full ride for NMS?

SLU is good for pre-med too. So is USF. i don’t know about National Merit but if that’s true then it may be good option.

Daughter just received official Rutgers BA/MD rejection.

Anyone know if there are any updates on St.Bonaventure/George Washington program?

we applied and have not heard anything. but deadline was extended to Dec 15 so they may be taking longer to review.

I think starting this year both DO and MD are treated the same way for residency programs (earlier DOs had a separate pool) and depending on the specialty eg. dermatology vs internal medicine (MDs are preferred over DOs) there wouldn’t be much of a difference in match rates as long as you have a good step 1 score.

BTW, step 1 is going P/F, no more score, by the time this pool goes to med school.

1 Like

No updates for us from St B/George Washington

On 16th

imo it might be worth to go for experience so that your D has more experience for interviews in the future, I will be doing the same

okay

oh. sorry just to clarify you said this was the BS/MD admissions person at RIT or Upstate?

Just got email of UIC honors acceptance for UIC GPPA.

Pitt played with emotions today- son got a thick envelope in the mail. Turns out they sent him a notebook for his undergrad acceptance (whomp whomp). Just cruel lol.

I heard a student who on first opportunity did not get accepted since her MCAT score was < than the requirement. But on her second MCAT attempt she got above and joined the MD this cycle. So I think instead of 3 it became 4 year UG like regular path.