Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Ask some questions about undergrad, they want to see demonstrated interest that you would actually go there for 4 years

We have a discussion starting in our home about whether my younger one should go BSMD route or not. I hear about many college students that had second year summer in Covid last June and could not do much as their summer programs were canceled. They expect their third year summer to also be impacted by CoVid and have nothing to strengthen their chance at medical school. Most labs are closed and unless someone is connected, research options are limited. How many would now go back in time and take a bsmd admission if offered at end of senior year?

The question is also whether the student is driven by passion for the field or a combined desire to both serve and have status. If latter, for sure, take your chances with regular route as most bsmds are not good enough for those seeking prestige. I am asking my younger child to carefully consider this as prestige does matter to her snd there is nothing wrong or shameful about that. After all, we as humans are driven to excel.

For those that cannot think of a career other than medicine (like my older one) and will be at peace providing healthcare to others in a good setting, why would you want to delay things further?

1 Like

@rk2017 - I too have seen examples like yours.

My Doctor a MD-PhD Head of the department at Harvard affiliated hospital and professor at Harvard med school. He studied at local public university in Northeast states for his UG, MD, PHD and residency. but did his fellowship at JHU.

Our pediatrician went to public university in mid west for his UG, MD, PHD and residency. And now a leading doctor at Boston Childrenā€™s.

True, these are just one or two examples but in order to become a great doctor, you need a life time commitment. Your UG or Med school will not make you a great doctor. It is a just a stepping stone!

Well said! the path depends on each child. They are unique and can think for themselves and sometimes can think better than us :slight_smile:

250 words +/-

makes sense, thanks:)

That comment was not directed at you, I was talking about MCAT.

MODERATOR NOTE:
Please do not post personal contact information on CC.

I will give another good example, my wife is a foreign medical graduate, did residency at a community hospital but did fellowship at a T5 medical school and now a sub-specialty chief at a major hospital group. So there are so many paths to become a successful doctor, my issue is with the doomsday scenarios mentioned in these threads about traditional path.

3 Likes

Again, depends on each student and how well their HS prepares for them for college. Not every 4.0 is same. So we canā€™t generalize to say UG is going to very tough. 25-30% of MD admissions are without gap years. So if you think you canā€™t be in that 25% and donā€™t want to take gap years, BSMD is the solution. As per ECs again depends on how you do them. There are kids we spend hundreds of hours (or 1000+) as EMT or Scribe to show clinical exp, my kid didnā€™t do all that. He has little over 100 hrs of clinical hours only but very meaningful.

1 Like

One issue with all these stats is not all Ivy students are same. With diversity emphasis even Ivies also give admissions to students from lot of states, high schools, different social and economic categories. Only thing I always said is lot of times college performance is correlated to how competitive your HS is and then how you transitioned to college. Some kids given their sudden freedom take first year easy (or think college courses are like HS courses) and then end up taking gap year to recover from that. Also scoring 5 in AP Chem is not same as getting A in general chem at T20 schools. Those who donā€™t realize that are the ones that fall behind but most of them recover.

So in short, all these stats mean nothing unless you know your childā€™s capabilities.

1 Like

I just submitted my Upstate supplement, how should I pay the $65 application fee, I do not see anywhere to make this payment?
Thanks!

@srk2017

Yes I agree we need to know the child capabilities most important to avoid burn out.

Four years back know a kid who had to switch to CS from medicine in a top Ivy as did not perform well in Orgo and sciences.

Ivy admission is a different game and not all kids selected are good in sciences.

2 Likes

Has anyone else still not received Upstate supplement? We have not and are not sure what to do abt it.

Can anyone tell when you can upload the video for Brown? Do you have to submit commonapp first? Where do you see the link for video?

Email the person who sent the supplement - I had the same issue.

1 Like

In some other post (IIRC) - someone mentioned - once you apply to Brown and get application portal access - you can submit the video. So I guess, you need to submit the application first.

When do we hear from VCU? It has been very quite after UG admission.

Did you find out and would you please share? DD submitted her Upstate supplement and did not get asked to pay the fees.

Thanks @rk1235rk!