Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Doesn’t sound good. Most of my BSMD interviews so far were at least 45 minutes. Maybe they do this with all applicants?

I am thinking its because, they are doing everything in the last minute - they dont have much time ?

Folks, Please do not spend too much time on analyzing things, as advised by many of the senior members earlier. That only drains your energy.

Focus on the task ahead, do the best one can do, hope for the best outcome, and move on

Please do stay away from-
-Analyzing the reasons for not getting an invite
-Analyzing the interview duration and consequences
-Asking for interview questions
-Asking for interviewer names
-Getting anxiety and upset upon a rejection
-should have/could have/would have

Its long journey and nothing is guaranteed. Lets hope and wish for the best outcome!

Good luck to all

4 Likes

So, you can’t pay on the application? You have to go to this link after you submit the application?

I am not sure as my D has not yet submitted but looks like someone couldn’t find the link. It’s last day for D to submit the application so to be on safer side she emailed them yesterday and received the response this morning. In case if you cannot find it on the application, this is the alternative.

Is this interview from Rutgers UG or from NJMS?

Don’t read too much into it. My older daughter had an interview for a BSMD program where the interviewer did not let her speak much and questioned everything she would start off saying. She said after the third time he cut her off, she politely asked if she could finish making her point and then respond to his rebuttal. She thought she was done for. She got offered the bsmd.

In another bsmd interview, the interviewer, a very senior MD leader at the medical school, asked if her school setup her research for her. She explained the difficulty she went through to not just get the research opportunity but also how she had to work hard to keep up with the others that were doing PhD and thought they hit it off. She got the rejection email the very next day. You never know.

This is not the bsmd interview, it is the pre-interview with Rutgers to determine whether to recommend the candidate for NJMS. Could be short and still get recommended.

Sorry, I misread the post.

Has anyone applied to NYIT BSDO program? How is the program? My daughter did search on this forum and SDN. Found mixed reviews so not sure about the quality of the program and college

Is it due by tonight?

My D applied and got the admission to the program. Also, got mixed reviews about the program. Interested in getting more information please!

My son applied to the LECOM BSDO program and got accepted this Fall. We don’t know much about either program but from a cost standpoint NYIT seems more expensive (tuition plus board) and their match rate seems pretty comparable to other DO programs.

NYIT gave my D good scholarship $26000/year but have concerns about the NYIT BS/DO program quality in general… Anyone on this thread knows someone in this school/Program?

BSDO Applicants: check out MSAR reports for those DO schools and understand MCAT, GPA and other quantiative data. Then think whether you fall into one of them or you will be better than that. Also do online search on Step 1 P/F impact on DO schools. for better understanding, plenty of useful information you will find. Anyone is deciding DO program at high school age are rushing and is a short-sighted decision, IMO.

Within 5 days and my D received it on Thursday. I think it depends on when you receive the email.

Our research about DO schools showed that most schools have a >97% match and higher for internal, emergency etc. The MCAT and GPA requirements are slightly lower for DO schools but getting into a DO via traditional path may be equally difficult because of their lower number. Not sure how the step1 P/F impacts DO but if the student can clear step1 it shouldn’t make a difference I think.

Unless the student is so clear about medicine and clear that wants to do only DO for whatever reason, rushing to BS/DO is too early. Go thru UG and decide about medicine, MD or DO.

Do more due diligence and self assessment about LECOM in particular. N=1, but heard very bad experience from a student. He did that program and twice went thru the DO app cycle and both times disqualified and now pursuing some other health career. Nothing wrong about setting some GPA requirement but the process LECOM has is misleading and does not sound fair. After asking the student to apply (in Oct or so) and then notified he did not meet the LECOM GPA requirement. Then asked to continue 1 year special program with hefty fees. Then second year again asked to apply and then notified this year also did not meet GPA req.

Another aspect to be aware, it has affiliations with so many UG schools and the total number of seats is way more than the total number of DO seats (though it has multiple locations). Obviously it means it need to cut off many students when the time comes in 3 or 4 years before matriculating them into DO

There are many students graduated thru LECOM. Do your home work and self assessment for the need to rush.

Don’t get carried away by the number published like the above post 97% match rate etc.,

Parents don’t push or rush for any college or any program as long it is medicine. Let the students decide what they want with your guidance and financial support.

LECOM BSDO UG requirement is 3.4 GPA and no MCAT if your SAT and GPA are high enough. As with any BSMD or BSDO program, there are UG requirements to be met. There will always be cases in both programs where the student does not meet the requirements and in such cases the school cannot be blamed for that. The >97% match is based on actual match data released by the schools.

MD Vs DO

There is no difference in MD and DO if you are targeting general medicine. They get paid the same.

Again everyone is different and you know your child better, If your kid is competitive and disciplined then wait DO can be done after premed although can be at a higher cost