Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

42K for whole year

1 Like

D attended Stanford Summer College during two summers in high school and had taken CS courses at Stanford. She had a lot of dual and AP credits. She is almost done with CS, just one big practical project CS course left. She did many ECs during school year and summers during 1st and 2nd year.

1 Like

SLU has the med scholars program which is not BS/MD but allows you to interview sophomore year. This is a leg up and if you get into SLU med school you only have to get 500 MCAT. Also more than half of the kids drop the program because they are not serious about medicine so chances of getting to med school are higher than normal UG. Toledo has BACC2md which is similar to SLU but interview is in 3rd year with no MCAT if you get into Toledo med school. We want a leg up in med school admissions and these programs will allow for that which is why weā€™re having them as back up.

1 Like

I forgot but D actually decided against USF. For one, she does not want to live so far but more importantly the MCAT score has to be high and interview is in third? fourth? year. We donā€™t see this as much of a leg up so we prefer SLU and Toledo.

congrats! when did she interview?

Factually misleading. SLU doesnā€™t quantify the reason why 50% drops after 1st year. It is hard to imagine 50% of who were selected as med scholar had change of heart. Prime factor is failure to meet GPA requirements.

Not sure that this is true. I know 2 kids who have gone through the program and while SLU is grade deflated the main reason for them dropping is because they are not that serious about medicine. Yes, some probably drop because of GPA but thatā€™s not true for most.

1 Like

Anybody heard anything from Caldwell? They asked to submit 2 short essays. No info after that. NJIT and Rutgers have already started forwarding applications to NJMS. Based on past experience, would Caldwell filter further based on short essays or interview?

Sure, some cannot meet GPA requirement but that it not the only reason.

1 Like

You may have missed thisā€¦ Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1) - #3612 by PPofEngrDr?

I was forwarded to NJMS from NJIT, but I also interviewed at TCNJ. If TCNJ decides to forward my application, am I able to choose which program I would like to attend or am I forced to go through NJIT?

If somebody is forwarded to Upstate through multiple feeder schools, can it hurt her consideration at Upstate level for interview? Do they look negatively if student applying through number of feeder schools?

Awesome! I wish her good luck with her medical college journey!

My son also got an email from NJIT today

You said it yourself that the admissions counselor said that 50 percent drop due to lack of interest.

In any case, we have had two friends go through the program and medical school and it is very feasible. They want you to succeed and we will take the leg up over normal UG any day.

Yes you can be accepted through both and then you can choose.

You will be able to decide for NJMS. Sunny Upstate decides for students.

Agree, not only reason, that is why used Prime factor. BS/MD bound kids generally donā€™t change heart that easily unless during their high caliber UG they found new glory and interest which is generally hard to find in BS/MD programsā€™ UG programs.
Whenever schools are not sharing data for whatever reason, do your own scrutiny of data.

Looks like your daughter kept herself very busy during UG. You must be so proud!! Congrats to her :ok_hand:

1 Like

Did any one hear from RIT or GW?