Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Were you notified through email about your supplements or portal was updated?

Check out

• Stonybrook,

• Howard University

1 Like

Has NJIT sent out all the emails for the students that have been forwarded to NJMS or are some still remaining? Many were informed about their forwarding yesterday.

The email appeared to be automated (wasnā€™t sent individually) from the Honors College so I donā€™t know if that means that they have already forwarded everybody. I would call them and ask.

Where is MCAT/GPA I mentioned? What I said is about maturity, not academics. 2nd part attending a UG is not an inviting problems, rather that is what one commits to by accepting admission.

No one is saying all BS/MD programs are bad and absolutely no. Rather some of the rationales being discussed for its selection is misleading. At the same time, all BS/MD programs are not good either.

Absolutely, therefore donā€™t look for short cuts (in terms of MCAT/GPA) and sprint.

Nothing wrong in interest in BS/MD programs. I wish SOMs sees more mature candidates and expands BS/MD programs nationwide, reality portraits different picture though.

Absolutely, decision times are March/April, until then focus on interview practices. If you are happened to one of those candidates who has multiple choices, this discussion certainly helps all along, but if you have only one BS/MD bird in hand, no good UGs, it is irrelevant discussion.

Hi everyone!

I am a current student in the Upstate 7-year program. I applied last year and gained acceptance to other programs as well (VCU, AMC, SLU, etc.) If anyone has any questions they can pm me or if anyone has general questions about upstate I can answer here.

Good Luck Applicants!

1 Like

I agree with you on this, my issue is these threads were highjacked by one individual with all the false propaganda and fear mongering for last 3 years to justify their own decision making. BSMD is a purely a risk aversion option and nothing wrong in admitting that (my nephew is in a BSMD program and I guided a friendā€™s daughter last cycle and in fact advocated BSMD given that she is uncertain about MCAT), but instead of that some claim that traditional path is like swimming thru crocodile filled pond and some how BSMD students at this particular school are performing better than everyone also while at the same time more and more top programs are cancelling BSMD programs. You donā€™t go to UG to relax to prepare for Medical school, you go to become a well rounded person. Some may stumble (like my nephews) but they bounce back if they have passion for medicine and others may find itā€™s not for them and become successful in other fields.
UG is not stressful if you plan it properly and keep it simple. My son had more fun than what he would have had he gone to a 7 year program. He spent 2 summers abroad (funded), participated in all kinds of social activities on campus and even produced a video which got world wide media attention.

One uncertainty with traditional path is you donā€™t know where you end up even with near perfect app, but that happens with UG and BSMD also.

3 Likes

Great Congratulations! Which UG school are you at now and did you have a choice of choosing the feeder school?

Makes a lot of sense. In fact someone started a thread for comparison of both the paths, well no, to bash the BS/MD path few months ago, probably to spread all kinds of misinformation (I did not check it out). It quickly fizzled out in a few days with barely anyone checking that (the old interface used to show some metrics like views counts, number of posters etc).

If anyone is interested can still go look out for the arguments there but I highly doubt the objectivity of some of the posters there.

It will be much better if people donā€™t jump in here and divert the attention of everyone with matters not pertinent or relevant here.

1 Like

Better speak out that misinformation for good of community that is being referred here, rather than speculate the motive without checking it out as admitted.

1 Like

Has anyone received any notification from Union or AMC about an interview after filling out the AMC supplement and submitting it to AMC?

I would be interested in SUNY feeder selection too for my DD. Also, did you end up doing remote interview and can you share general info on the interviews? Many of the folks here would benefit.

In the past some have received interviews by this time so I am wondering the same.

Thatā€™s all they are capable of. They claim they ignore posts but then come up with responses like the. I started the thread so that there is a specific thread for BSMD vs traditional path for future applicants, instead of rehashing same arguments every year. I am not looking for glory or vindication unlike some. Again I have nothing against BSMD path and I advocate as I see it fit to individual student (check the two examples) but against fear mongering we see in these threads. If someone wants to mortgage the farm for BSMD itā€™s their choice and I gain or lose nothing from it. I am trying to give balanced advice to community not try to vindicate my kidā€™s (or parental) decision!.

We got the supplement from RIT but no interview. Did you had an interview from RIT and when did they forward to Upstate?

You are spot on. Everyone has a different risk appetite. One should no walk in others shoes. You have no knowledge of their life journey. Itā€™s smart to leverage opportunities like BS/MD if one is interested to become a physician. If the need be, kids will consider and do well in traditional route as well. Well saidā€¦

I know several smart kids who decided not to pursue medicine post UG or chose DO, PT, dentistry, Carrabin schools, science, Ph.D. because they did not have required MCAT or GPA. This was not their first choice. Nothing wrong with any of these programs if it meets their risk appetite. There is no point in ridiculing someoneā€™s choices.

1 Like

Do we know if NJMS will filter candidates before they interview?

I am also wondering this.

I donā€™t think anyone is doing that, unsure how you reach that conclusion. We all agree that choices are individual and ones own risk appetite.

So you donā€™t even count DO as medicine. How true/ridicule is that?
I wish that is being understood by BS/DO hopefuls on this thread.

Did me or anyone ridicule anyoneā€™s BSMD choice? I only ridicule falsehoods and self glory!