Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

It wasn’t an option through NUPSP route (kinda EAP for NU UGs but far more competitive than popular EAPs on this thread, only 6-8 gets in) until this year to apply directly to MSTP.
I also heard that one can add PhD once in MD year 1, but it wasn’t guaranteed by NUPSP, so it was more like rolling the dice by accepting MD only. I suspect for Feinberg a funding is an issue, it may be they were not seeing kids with PhD profile caliber.
So certainly they advanced the NUPSP scope this year for whatever reason and who knows what may happen in future years as @NoviceDad stated the rumor.

You might also want to send the essay by email so they know you were ready to submit but couldn’t.

Thanks, Good idea, I will ask my D to send them over.

One reason could be lot of these students want to aim for Ivies and want to strengthen their apps. Some also take gap years to take advantage of various scholarship opportunities.

Again these debates should be in the other thread I created few months back :slight_smile:

Is it still MMI? ie. a few mini interviews in each of two slots?
We are still waiting for our invite - hopefully comes in next week or two!

The email indicates it is traditional interview, not MMI. Role playing is harder on remote calls.

That’s a great idea for all who are struggling with Upstate portal

@thegenius1 - @Mom22DDs is right, most of these have early deadlines. In addition to Stonybrook, Brown PLME, FAU, you could also apply to Mercer university in GA.

There are a bunch of in-state BS/MD programs open that are for only for residents such as from Texas, Nevada. Are you from TX?

Also, programs such as Sophie Davis (primarily for URMs) also have late deadlines.

Regular route UG followed by MD will give you maximum flexibility ofcourse!

Makes sense - thank you

I think comparing with population is not the right metric.

74% of high school kids do NOT apply to college.
Metric should of the 26% who apply to college, what percentage of those students are of various ethnic backgrounds?
You will find the ratio of Asian students is significantly higher than the percentage of population.

Does anyone know when Upstate sends the next batch of invites?

if you don’t mind sharing your stats what were they?

I don’t think so @NoviceDad. AFAIK, it is open to all.

Yes, did you hear from RIT

Hi! I am a student who applied ED to Brown and PLME this year. I was accepted to their undergrad but deferred from their BSMD program. Is there anything I should do to possibly increase my chances (like sending them an email asserting my interest to still be considered)? Since this year without the interview, the process is quite unfamiliar to me so any advice would be great!

You are now locked into attending Brown UG. If you do not get into PLME, apply via regular route MD as 95% of seats are filled that way. No need to worry a lot. Congratulations on your Brown ED selection.

1 Like

What good will it do to you ? Nothing. This whole BSMD process is unpredictable.

1 Like

These metrics may be decided by some higher authorities, not universities alone.

By applying ED you have already asserted your interest in the program. Just stay positive and don’t lose hope. Acceptance to the Brown UG is a big accomplishment, congratulations!!

1 Like

Congratulations !! No harm in requesting PLME in ED is binding and there may not be a wait list.

May be this a blessing in disguise and I. 4 years you will land in a better medical school and location than brown.

1 Like