Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I think @Vicky2019 was indicating that you look at Union or Sienna as your feeder school instead of RPI (which is research focused) when you choose you apply to AMC.

Hi
Can anyone help me in terms of Rec letters ? How many is too many ? I have 3 college prof that can give very good rec letters since I have worked with them very closely in my summers. But will colleges prefer my own high school teachers over these ? Thank you for your help

@Force13
Donā€™t have any backing data but my intuition says you must get at least 1 or more from your HS counselor or teacher. That is where you are full time now. It augments to get letters from volunteering / research places also.

@force1 - Most colleges as part of common application, need recommendation letters from your guidance counsellor and two teachers. One of these teachers should be in science or math. Another teacher should be from english or humanities.

For medical school portion of the application - colleges Additionally require 1-2 recommendations from outside supervisors (medical volunteering/shadowing/research etc.) either optionally or mandate itā€¦

After submission of common application, colleges provide an application portal where student can login to upload additional recommendations or research posters etc.

@speedyliv - Since AMC allows you only to apply via only one feeder school to AMC, you should choose Union or Siena BSMD program with AMC medical college.

@Vicky2019 Okay. Thank you so much!

@NoviceDad Hopefully this ACT Prep course Iā€™m taking will help tremendously

Does anyone know if there is a word limit for any of the Penn State/Jefferson program essays?

Wishing you the best!

@Futurdoc - Most colleges should release their current year essays during the summer. So, you guys donā€™t have very long to wait!

For Penn state/Jeff -
Last cycle, There are 3 essays 500 words each and two 250 words each, so total 5.

Hi Everyone,
Could someone please share the list of BSMD programs to avoid, like For profit programs - example California North State. Are there any other BSMD programs like this. Feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I joined the group last October to learn more about BS/MD programs and came up with a list of schools that offer BS/MD for my daughter to apply in the fall.

Now, after all this events, the list is shrinking based on cost and location:

1. Pitt
  2. Stony Brook
  3. VCU
  4. NJIT
  5. Rutger
  6. Temple
  7. GWU

We plan to pay up to the cost of attending out in-state school (UMD) and the distance about 3-4 hours from where we live (Maryland). If anybody has any tips or suggestion that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks !!!

Folks

If you are not aware, ACT has 3 more tests for FALL.

https://leadershipblog.act.org/2020/06/act-adds-new-fall-2020-national-test.html
The updated fall 2020 ACT national test schedule:

September

Saturday, September 12 (existing)
Sunday, September 13 (non-Saturday, existing)
Saturday, September 19 (new)

October

Saturday, October 10 (new)
Saturday, October 17 (new)
Saturday, October 24 (existing)
Sunday, October 25 (non-Saturday, existing)

December

Saturday, December 12 (existing)

I know itā€™s probably been posted before somewhere, but is Northwestern HPME test optional just like their undergrad? Also, does anyone think UPitt and/or their BS/MD program will switch to test optional?

On another note, if ACTs are open in the fall and I choose not to sign up or there arenā€™t any spots left or just donā€™t take it for some reason, will it look bad if I donā€™t submit a score? (I havenā€™t taken it before) I was wondering if the opportunity became available and everyone else applies with scores, will it look bad for me? Iā€™m assuming the answer is yes but colleges stress ā€œholisticā€ review and all that. I mean letā€™s be real here they would interview and accept someone with a perfect score vs someone with no score so I just wanted someone elseā€™s opinion on this.

@brookiekk - This question has been asked multiple times in this thread and answered in the following posts - #246, #252, #255, #257, #287, #289, #293, #294, #296, #299, #308, #322, #323. Suggest you to browse through the answers.

@brookiekk - Look at #285 . Also look at Northwestern HPME website.

Call Northwestern or UPitt admissions for further details.

Northwesternā€™s HPME ā€œentrance requirementsā€ doesnā€™t exist anymore or the site is just down (hmmmm they could be editing it). I tried to call them and was on hold for hoursā€¦no one answered. Admissions is hard to reach so did anyone else contact them and get an answer?

Email them as most of the staff is working from home.
Also, NU- HPME is in the process of updating their policy for this year.
They have not yet announced what changes, if any, they will institute.

As of this writing, NU-HPME still requires the SAT or ACT (with writing) as well as the 2 subject tests - Math and Chem.

You have answered the question already - ā€œletā€™s be real here they would interview and accept someone with a perfect score vs someone with no scoreā€. As pointed out by @NoviceDad, no ACT or SAT I/II scores are interpreted wrongly or rightly as poor scores.