Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I’m not very sure but I think they offer full ride to bsmd students. Even for NMS, it is full tuition only otherwise.

Has RIT-SUNY upstate BSMD program send out notification yet?

It is rolling and some have been sent out and we expect more to get sent out in the New Year.

if you feel comfortable sharing, did your elder D receive full ride?

No problem sharing, my daughter was NMF and also BSMD at NJIT and received full-ride. I believe all her bsmd cohort received the same. Someone mentioned recently that NJIT was only offering free tuition as default scholarship and the tuition+board is on case by case. I tried to ask about BSMD and I didn’t get a clear answer.

1 Like

Do they give instate for medical school? OOS tuition seems to be more than Ivies.

Is SAT required for BSMD part of SBU?

We’re not really sure. I know this sounds weird but she got some tuition award that is roughly equal to the difference between OOS and in-state but we can’t figure out what it is for. We called, left messages and emailed but haven’t heard back. But at least for this year, we’re only paying in-state fee equivalent.

I think they have a separate Honors award also that covers room and meal. Nit sure if everyone gets that.

@Mom22DDs It should be in the tuition statement you paid to NJMS. Usually it is a merit scholarship.

In past, NJIT gave ADHC related awards to a lot of folks while giving admission to Honors college.

1 Like

It says Education Award, but there is no explanation beyond that. We didn’t get a bill or anything so we just paid online from her account. It was COVID shutdown so we couldn’t reach anyone. We will ask next semester (Jan. 2021) and share here if we find out bsmd NJMS students get auto instate fees.

Thank you so much!

Did she had to do anything for it - like change her residency status by filing some paperwork or domicile status change? Also any idea if all OOS students in NJIT/NJMS got this? Also, wondering if this happens for all NJMS feeder schools like TCNJ, Caldwell etc.

Just wanted to make sure, the deadline has not yet passed to upload the Stonybrook BS/MD essay…correct?

so you paid $45K tuition for first year medical state? Interestingly it’s more than CA in-state.

I believe we had to pay just for the semester and it was about $21k. Due to CoVid and mail issues, we never got a bill or any communication from NJMS all this time, and my DD almost missed being registered for medical school. She had to send her some doc in panic to get herself registered practically first day of school, so we just paid whatever was due. For upcoming semester, we’re going to find out more and ask for a bill. We paid nothing for UG, Honors kids are royalty in NJIT (and elsewhere too), she genuinely had the most pleasant and least stressful college years, and she completed 1 year early - all considered, we have no complaints.

One can change domicile to NJ if they wanted to and put NJ address as permanent address. She said some kids did it, but we didn’t want DD to do anything like. Also, once one loses CA residency, there is no way to easily restore. Losing CA residency could have other implications we did not prefer to research more into.

We have a parent NJITgroup. Usually, we don’t talk about money or grades there. I’ll try to ask there if possible.

1 Like

I think it’s 15th

There is a process to change domicile to NJ, just attending a medical school in NJ may not be enough. If these educational awards are renewed every year, no need to do anything.