Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

SBU application submitted on Dec 24th.

Questions regarding SBU Portal and essays deadline:

Background:

1.On Dec 27th email from SBU says “In your SBU Applicant Portal, please upload an essay on the topic, “What aspects about medicine (or dental medicine) intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life” (up to 650 words). The “Upload Documents” section can be found near the bottom of the portal.”
The email says the due date for medical essay is Jan 15th.

2.The another email from SBU says “In your SBU Applicant Portal, please upload a brief statement explaining why you would be a good fit for your preferred honors program.”
The email says the due date is Feb 1st.

1. The same email asks for “Two letters of recommendation from teachers are required.”

Question 1 reference to #1…Got access to SBU portal, but I can’t find Upload Documents anywhere in the SBU portal. Is there anyone in the same boat?

Question 2 reference to #1 & #2: Are the due dates correct? In general honors program essay due comes first then medical essay!!!

Questions 3 reference to #3: Teacher recommendations were already uploaded/attached as part of commonapp. Are there any additional teacher recommendations those need to be uploaded to the SBU portal or the 2 teacher recommendations that were part of the commonapp suffice this requirement?

Appreciated your response.

I am sorry, maybe it’s a stupid question. We are in FL too, do I understand correctly that you can apply to some UG to USF and to their BS/MD program at the same time? I thought we have to choose one or another. Thank you.

My child has an interview with TCNJ this morning at 9:30 but has received no Zoom link to join. She received an invite but nothing after that. I’m a little concerned. Can anyone advise what to do.

1. The url for SBU Portal is : (https://enroll.stonybrook.edu/portal/status). After successfully login, the “Upload Documents” section can be found near the bottom of the portal” . If you still don’t see it, you should reach out to your assigned Admission Counselor (also listed in the portal).

2. The deadline for both Honors and Scholars for Medicine supplemental essays are on 1/15.

Blockquote From SBU: Applicants to the Honors College, University Scholars and WISE: Upload a brief statement in your admissions portal on why you believe you will be a good fit for your preferred honors program. Scholars for Medicine and Scholars for Dental Medicine applicants: Upload an essay on “What aspects about medicine (or dental medicine) intrigue you? Describe how these aspects influence your life” (up to 650 words). All items are due January 15.

1. I don’t think you need to submit additional LoR. My D didn’t have to and in the portal’s application checklist, item Recommendation has has green check and Received.

Good luck !!!

2 Likes

Read earlier in this thread that you receive the Zoom link just few minutes before the interview. Good luck!

1 Like

Got NJIT scholarship of $22k/year letter in mail. Their OOS tuition is $33k. Will they give revised/upgraded scholarship if selected for BSMD?

Ofcourse!

FYI - Where we stand. Please add/ update if I missed anything

NJMS/ NJIT: Feeder school interviews in progress
NJMS/ TCNJ: Feeder school interviews in progress
NJMS/ Rutgers: Feeder school interviews will start this coming week
NJMS/ Stevens: Not yet started

PennState/Jefferson: Interview invites sent; interviews on Jan 23

Pitt: GAP supplements sent out; deadline Jan 13

Upstate/Syracuse: Feeder school has forwarded applications to Upstate
Upstate/RIT : Feeder school has forwarded applications to Upstate
Upstate/ACPHS : Feeder school has forwarded applications to Upstate
Upstate/UAlbany : Feeder school has forwarded applications to Upstate
Upstate/Adelphi: Feeder school interviews in progress
Upstate/Purchase
Upstate/Yeshiva
Upstate/EFS

AMC/Union: Supplemental application in progress
AMC/RPI: Supplemental application in progress
AMC/Sienna
AMC: Rolling interview invites have commenced

Baylor2Baylor: Feeder school interviews in progress

Drexel/Drexel: Application/ Fees for medical school review - in progress

Hofstra: Supplemental application in progress; deadline Jan 15

SBU/GW: SBU interviews announced

FAU: supplemental due Jan 8

VCU: undergrad admits communicated

GPPA: undergrad/ honors admits communicated

SLU: undergrad admits communicated; scholarships communicated

Augusta: undergrad admits communicated

Toledo Bacc2Med: admits announced

Regular undergrad: Most EA/ED results announced

3 Likes

Did anyone here apply to Sophie Davis program? The app is due today and my dc is having hard time reaching out to the contact email/phone mentioned on the website. They never respond to any emails? Wanted to see if anyone else in the same boat?

@snsh5713, could you please update if you received the Zoom link just before the interview?

For my S, received 10 min before, not to worry we were worried too before but someone in CC told us

@nebula1, Thank you so much!

Penn State interviews are on Jan 13th

My son has PMM interview on 1/13 am not sure if there are two dates for interviews. And also want to ask you my son never received TCNJ feeder school interview call at all as he is NJ resident, do you think he should just send an email to see what’s the status is because he is very competitive applicant and no one from his school applied and curious what happened. First he forgot to put 7 year in the application so he send email and they fixed it and then he send supplements when they were due while back.

@InspireTruth @muscarf

Sorry, fat-finger on my part.
PMM interviews are on Jan 13.

No harm emailing Dr. Shevlin or Dr. Nayak at TCNJ.

Happens to the best of us :slight_smile: Also I believe Siena sent out their AMC supplements which were due this past week.

@Vicky2019 Thank you and my son did SSP, do you think sending recommendation from them will be helpful or principal recommendation. He is lucky that he got upcoming interview for PMM, RPI, GAP supplement forwarded and waiting for others in Jan. Only thing he will have as he will finish the Spanish biliteracy test and most likely finish his individual research not sure if is worth updating with this information to Harvard.

Thank you so much, do you know exact wording he should say in the email.

Have you received interview from RPI/AMC yet? If so when did you submit supplemental? Thanks!