Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I apologize for asking this question again, but it has been really difficult to find word limits/ranges for some programs. My essay for Siena/AMC is around 670 word. I was wondering if I needed to cut it down or if this is fine.

may be useful information https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/01/315-college-deans-detail-how-they-will-assess-applicants-during-covid.html

No, I was not talking about merit scholarship, but rather need based. They will start meeting the 100% difference between the actual cost - EFC (expected family contribution) ~ 40-50k range awards (around twice that of merit awards)

Of course most may not qualify based on family income or assets or none of the children in college currently etc, but for those who may benefit (and distance not being a factor), it would be a great deal. Either for the program if one can get in, or for traditional route (also quite competitive with 18-19% acceptance rate)

Thank you.

Are there any resources that I could use to find examples of resumes (specifically for premed or bs/md)?

ACT just cancelled our D’s July 18th test registration :frowning:

In addition, with this Covid-19 mandate still going, all the summer’s ECs are also cancelled. At this time, she is focusing on preparing for college applications (resume, essays) and plans to register for ACT in the fall when it is available. She also registered to take SAT Subject (math2 &Biology) tests on 8/29 but they may cancel that too.

At this point, she only has her SAT score along with her GPA and ECs, which is not very strong since they cancelled hospital volunteer, which she signed up for and accepted in March. Even her current EC, just cancelled their activity for July 4th event (she is in the First Aids Unit).

I’m just whining here, so you can join me if you are in the same boat :slight_smile:

@ttb1263

My son was banking on some major activities this spring/summer/fall and everything has been canceled , leaving large gaps in his ECs and hence impacting his essays and reco letters in a very significant way.

Yes We are all in the same boat :slight_smile:

“We are all in this together” :slight_smile:

Don’t worry too much about all that is NOT under anyone’s control and give your best shot.

Be sure to mention about all the missed opportunities you have had. I am sure they understand your drive, zeal and enthusiasm in pursuing those opportunities and getting them in the first place before they slipped away.

Thank you both @rk2017 and @helperdad for comforting words. I guess at this point, our kids just need to work hard on what are available to them.

Thanks again !!!

Yes, I am in the same boat as well. Lots of volunteering/shadowing activities cancelled and no hope of them coming up since the covid cases are on a rise in my state. :frowning:

CommonApp has a new section to talk about covid impacts. Should all these impacts be discussed in that section or the essays or both?

@confusedjunior61

We thought common app and coalition app are not open until August, so my D has not started except for the profile section. Can you show me which section in common app discusses about Covid-19 ?

In my humble opinion, I would think that section should be an area to list of all the impacts caused by this pandemic. As for essays, it should depend on the topic and the timeline you want to write.

Thanks !!!

@ttb1263

Yes, they will open August 1st. I read the info on the CommonApp website as below. It will be added for the 20-21 application year.

"Community disruptions such as COVID-19 and natural disasters can have deep and long-lasting impacts. If you need it, this space is yours to describe those impacts. Colleges care about the effects on your health and well-being, safety, family circumstances, future plans, and education, including access to reliable technology and quiet study spaces.

Do you wish to share anything on this topic? Y/N
Please use this space to describe how these events have impacted you.

The question will be optional and will appear in the Additional Information section of the application.The response length will be limited to 250 words."

This was the reply my son got regarding HPME:

Thank you for your interest in HPME.

We are currently reviewing our policies and procedures for the HPME program at Northwestern and cannot answer individual questions at this time. We expect to have additional information within a few weeks. Please check back with us after August 1.

Regards,

HPME Administration

Yes, I got the same reply today. Hoping they will update their testing policy for HPME.

I talked to my teachers and they told me to not fill out this section unless I was effected in one of these ways: health and well-being, safety, family circumstances, future plans, and education, including access to reliable technology and quiet study spaces. Otherwise, they said that I should not use that space to just talk about canceled activities/what I did during COVID because I might come off as insensitive to the bigger problems occurring during this time.

@Futurdoc

Your teachers contradicted themselves since according to you they said " was effected in one of these ways: health and well-being, safety, family circumstances, future plans, and education 
". My understanding when reading the statement is any plans you had to get into the college of your dream including ECs was affected by the pandemic should be listed there. In addition, the pandemic affected everybody not excluding you but you need to show them that you really wanted to volunteer but couldn’t do it due to the Covid-19 mandated resulting with cancelled activities.

My 2 cents 
:slight_smile:

Yeah !! you could add I wanted to research and shadowing but could not do due to COVID. This has left me with nothing to show as medical ECs.

Hello everyone! (Reposting what I posted in the 2020 BS/MD decision thread)

I have been a primarily passive participant on the cc forums and learned so much from everyone’s advice. I hope the information I provide below will be helpful to future applicants! For privacy reasons, I may not be entirely specific. However, this is also reflective of real life because there is no single clear cut recipe into getting accepted to BS/MDs!

Let’s start with basics! - demographics and scores:
Asian American Female
Middle Class
Midwest
GPA/Grades: Primarily A student, utilized school’s AP & Dual Enrollment opportunities
36 (super scored) ACT and near perfect SAT Subject Test Scores
My school does not rank, but I know I am top 10 of my graduating class of ~500

Healthcare Extracurriculars:
President of clubs at my high school and other local organizations
Research at a lab related to healthcare field and received secondary authorship
Science Fair and Robotics throughout middle and high school, ranking top in state
2000+ hours of meaningful community service and mentorship - I volunteered in diverse areas that were meaningful to me. Not everything has to be STEM related and it is important to show colleges who you are as a person and link it to healthcare.
Medical Related: shadowing and hospital volunteering (These are the classics, but I actually recommend you find more meaningful/creative ways to immerse yourself in the medical field.)
Huge advocate for STEM Outreach and Women Empowerment in those fields

Recommendation Letters: I did not read my letters, but I have very good relationships with the teachers and mentors who wrote my letters. I trust them to be fantastic, displaying my character traits and professionalism.

Decision: 7 Year BS/MD with Upstate Medical University

Reflections:

The application process is long and confusing. Often times, it feels like you’re writing an essay every single day and not even making a dent in the pile of work you have to do. Trust me when I say there is an end and ultimately you will look back to find. the process rewarding!

Do your research! Some schools have conditional acceptances where a high GPA, MCAT, and secondary interview in undergrad are required. Really evaluate whether these programs will guarantee your matriculation into medical school - as that is probably your goal. Predict what your cost of attendance and location may be BEFORE applying. If these predictions are beyond your interest, it may be better to not apply. Create a spreadsheet to keep track of your deadlines. People rarely apply to BS/MDs from my region, so I did not have a lot of the mentorship that may be available for others. Therefore, feel free to hmu if your in the same situation and have questions!

Ask yourself “Why am I applying to BS/MDs?” Make sure you are applying for the RIGHT reasons and that you are really committed. These programs are highly competitive and many do not have waitlists. Thus, your acceptance will likely result in the rejection of another. If you have already committed to a 4 yr undergrad, a combined medical program, or are simply no longer interested - please do others the courtesy of withdrawing. At the same time, these programs are highly competitive so it will benefit you to apply broadly. Many times decisions involve a little bit of luck and are unpredictable, so applying to many programs early WILL increase your chances.

You DO NOT need to be perfect to be admitted. I have been asked numerous times what my “world altering” contribution or hook is
 the key is I don’t have one! I am a “normal” student who ensured to demonstrate the whole person I am in my application. I am passionate, dedicated, & inquisitive, but I am in no means a perfect 4.0. I served to motivate a countless number of people abroad and locally in STEM without starting an official non-profit. I positively impacted my local community in ways that may accumulate (with the work of all of you) to changing the world. My point is that despite what you may see in a lot of admitted BS/MD students, there are a lot of factors in play. Standardized test scores and grades are the first screening. After you meet the minimum requirements, having a genuine personal essay and good interview skills are crucial! College will be able to tell when you are lying or presenting a highly exaggerated story lol.

I received over a dozen BS/MD or Early Assurance Interviews. I was admitted to just over half of them. Some of them were better “name wise,” but overall Upstate was the best choice for me. Some factors I used are year length, location, surrounding opportunities, residency matching, cost, quality/involvement of faculty in program, etc. I also got accepted into numerous Top-25 schools for pre med - make sure to apply to some of these in case!

I hope this post is helpful to future applicants and good luck!

Hi! I am a rising senior and looking to apply to BSMD programs. I have a near perfect GPA, in my top 5 percent, do sports, speak a lot of languages, play the violin, started my own NPO, have medically related experience and volunteering,etc. but I am worried about the subject test scores. I still have not taken my ACT (I am planning to in September) and have been scoring around 30-33. I am Indian (ORM) and I was wondering if colleges will look at subject scores. I am not sure I will have time to take them, maybe in October, and I am worried it will be a factor in admissions. I am planning on taking the ACT with writing, and get at least a 33-34, so I look better without subject tests.

Any suggestions? Should I take subject tests or not?

@futuredoc2942

1. First try your best to take ACT with writing.
  2. Try to do SAT subject test what ever you could.
  3. Few schools (example: Boston U or Northwestern U used to have subject test requirements. Many schools do not have that req.
  4. So if you may end up skipping some schools if not able to take. Said with Covid you never know since things are evolving.
  5. Don't worry or panic. Do your best and apply to whatever schools requirements you have met.
  6. It is not subject test or this or that alone is being looked. The overall profile and performance like quality of application essays, interviews and what you have already done.