Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Congratulations on NJMS. There are a few NJ resident posters here. Are u in-state ?

IMO, getting a CWRU interview invitation is more competitive than most other BSMD like Upstate, AMC, BU, NJMS and REMS.

Thanks! No we’re oos, midwest

Yeah, I’d say that CWRU, Rice, and PLME are probably the most competitive (according to acceptance rates).

I’d add UAB to your list, hardly anyone from OOS gets in.

1 Like

Brown may not be as bad as it appears for those not from ORM back ground.
UAB, they have regional preference too, probably 1 per each of the neighboring 3 for 4 states.

What ethnicities are considered ORM?

Primarily Asian origin - Chinese, Taiwanese, Korean, Philippino, Indian, Japanese …

Vietnamese, Cambodian and may be Indonesian etc. won’t be considered ORM even though from same continent.

1 Like

To be honest, with a lot of test-optional programs and an increase in applications, this cycle is more unpredictable than ever

1 Like

IMO, U of R is a good option for Pre-med. ultimately, It depends on where you are coming from.

One example scenario -

U of Rochester is ranked 34 in Usnews. It is a private institute known for its research. And in the past, they are known to give some (not a lot) merit aid to kids of BSMD calibre. They also have early assurance for medicine you can try for …

If you want to spend as little as possible in UG, and are a National merit finalist - you could get a decent aid in some colleges. You can also opt in for your in-state university.

On the other hand, if you are willing to pay full price, you can join the highest ranking college that you got admitted to…

Lastly, no harm in asking them to consider you for UG seat. Afterall, it will give you more options to choose from later on.

2 Likes

Quick question about SUNY Upstate: I received the congratulations email with the admissions packet from Ms.Ripa but I just wanted to confirm that if I sign the document, checking the I want my seat box, it is not binding right?

I am still waiting on other decisions so just want to confirm that if I sign my offer, I won’t be binded.

Well I didn’t get an email from REMS so thank god for this forum
So Far:
Interviews: AMC/Union, NJMS
Rejected: REMS
Waiting: PLME, SMED, Pitt, Brown, PPSP, BU SMED, Downstate, GW, Temple, and Tulane

1 Like

For a decision of such consequence, it would be best to ask Ms. Ripa directly.
Just my 2 cents.

+1. I suspect it is a commitment, so best to confirm with Upstate.

Yep, that is what I believe as well.

From the FAQ in one of the feeder colleges, the terms should be the same for all feeders to SUNY-Upstate:

Accepted Students

Q: What are the conditions of my acceptance to SUNY Upstate Medical University MD Program through the UAS Program?

A: The conditions of your acceptance will be plainly laid out in your acceptance letter. You will be bound to these conditions particularly, so please review them carefully.

1 Like

The early assurance program is for certain schools (some LACs are on this list, like Middlebury) but Rochester undergrad is not a part of this list.

I know there isn’t a lot of representation for the GPPA BA/MD here since it is limited to Illinois residents, but I made a thread in case there are any applicant to the program here. It’s titled UIC GPPA Class of 2025 if anyone is interested :grin:

If you hear back anything from Ms. Ripa on this, can you please let know? D also has same doubt.

Here’s my take on this:

For the HUGE benefit of being offered the FIRST acceptance among all the BS/MD programs, SUNY-Upstate is expecting something in return; your binding commitment.
There is no free lunch.

If you don’t feel that being among the first selected is of any value, then it is possible to let the offer expire and move on.

SUNY-Upstate had a record number of people applying, they really are not concerned about filling the available seats.

There are many, many elite candidates waiting with deep anxiety and extreme stress just to be in your shoes.

Becoming a MD is long journey and you really should go where you’ll be happy for the next 7-8 years.

How does that story about a dog with a meaty bone crossing a bridge and seeing his reflection in the river below end …?

Go Class of 2021 :grinning: