Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I doubt if it is “binding” at this stage of the game for Upstate or anything else. I think people will still have the May 1 st deadline for the final commitment. They can switch to other BS/MDs or traditional as they please. Let it be known if you hear otherwise.

They may however have other clauses in there, such as losing the guaranteed spot in the medical school if one tries to explore and apply out which is a fair game. Even reputed ones also have that, last year read someone posting on this forum that Brown will take away the spot if they find out the students in PLME taking MCAT (not sure how they will know though).

BSMD programs can and some do require an earlier commitment date. Our older D was given an earlier deadline for University of Southern Alabama admission in 2017 and by not signing it in time, she forfeited her admission.

What is the deadline to sign and accept the SUNY Upstate Medical admission please, if someone can share?

May be, but does it prevent them from forfeiting the deposit (which is usually nominal, few hundreds) and going somewhere else? Don’t think so. It is not like ED right, with a legal binding?

Based on what I’ve heard for past cycles, most programs give you 2-3 weeks to decide.

Not sure if things will change all of a sudden since they came out with the decisions earlier, but last year remember pretty well a student who was communicating with me by PM, made up his/her mind only around April time frame. I could also verify the email trace but the new CC upgrade took away all of them. She/he chose to go to Upstate/Purchase over Barnard/Columbia for regular undergrad.

Edit: Seem to have the emails in my private inbox as well. April 14th was precisely when she/he informed me of above decision

Does GW notify applicants if they are not selected as semi-finalists?

@PikachuRocks15 - My nephew joined University of Rochester med school via Early assurance in 2020 fall. This is how I know… What is your source of information? Or can you clarify what you were trying to convey?

I recommend that students should call University of Rochester to find out more details… And In any case, early assurance is not guaranteed. For most competitive students in UG, its a way to apply early and see if they can get an early admission (& skip MCAT)

Here is the link to Rochester early assurance as well for those interested -

On a related note, was surprised when an acquaintance on CC told me last year that they didn’t have something like EA at UPitt where their C is attending and is a 4.0 er. Likewise someone who was deliberating between Miami and Case Western last year for traditional route and discussing with me, chose to go to Miami (whatever the enriched program they have) since they felt there was at least a 25% chance of making it to their own med school in that route whereas nil at Case western. (Had similar financial merit awards at both the places)

Even if schools have EAP for their own undergrads, better not to rely too much on it in your decision making. Usually the number of slots in that channel is in single digits and the competition may be a hundred or two or more depending on the size of the school.

1 Like

SUNY-Upstate/Purchase is a good combination; for some people.

I read about a student from a post a few cycles back who gave up an acceptance to Baylor2Baylor for SUNY-Upstate/Purchase.

It is all about going to where you feel you can be at your best during such a transformative period of your life.

1 Like

What does the email language say?

I just got an interview request from AMC but I when I login to confirm, it is only taking me to the Supplemental Application, which I already completed.

We didn’t get an email from REMS either. Checked the portal and found the rejection there under the Opt in tab

Has anyone heard from UMKC or Drexel?

Just did…placed on the interview waitlist for Drexel

1 Like

Just saw status update on Drexel Portal for BS/MD.

1 Like

Just received interview invite from Drexel via email (and on portal).

3 Likes

Interview Waitlist at Drexel

2 Likes

Thank you all for Drexel update. Ask DD to check and she has Drexel interview invite :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Update -
Accepted: MIT (EA)
Interviewed: BU SMED
Interview Invite: UR REMS, Drexel
Rejected: Baylor/Baylor, SBU/GW, GW/GW?
Waiting: CW PPSP, Rice/Baylor, Temple, Brown PLME, other UGs

3 Likes

rejected from Drexel…