Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Just received Temple interview invite via email.

5 Likes

FWIW, USMLE Step 2 CS exam is permanently endedā€¦

Heard HPME is no closed permanently. Any other BSMD programs closed recently? Also, where can I find a complete list of MD and DO schools? I am a new member and learning a lot from this group. Thank you for your insights.

I got temple interview email.

5 Likes

@narkor was kind enough to inform me privately but thought of sharing here since may benefit others.

She/he says the alumni interview for MIT is taken into consideration for their admission decisions and the interviewers are great.

Also, for REMS it seems as per narkor, 45-50 are called for interview for the 10 slots in the program, so they may extend offers to about 15 or so I guess. They also have a wait list as far as I know.

If remember correctly, narkor (or C) was selected both for MIT and REMS in an earlier cycle (among others) and chose to go to REMS.

1 Like

Kiddo did NOT get Temple.

Also after a long talk last night he has released his interview spot to VCU. He said he honestly doesnā€™t see himself there, even if they are the only BSMD that accepts him- he would rather go to his REA school. This has been a journey but he has always known his own mind and I would never want to push him to an option so critical to have him regret or be unhappy once he is on campus despite my personal opinion of taking that guarantee however he gets it. Itā€™s his life, his choices.

Dang parenting is HARD lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4 Likes

@mom2boys1999 , I agree! Itā€™s a tough decision. We still donā€™t have anything in plate but having discussions regularly. My D has the same feeling and doesnā€™t want to go to any college just for BS/MD. Not sure which is a right decision, we are trying balance both her happiness and future. :slight_smile:

On the other note, I heard lot of kids successfully graduate to VCU even from their Honors college. We didnā€™t get VCU interview. Any comments on this?

1 Like

I actually really liked VCU for him. He got a substantial scholarship and we recently moved to Virginia so he would in state eventually. It has the only Level 1 trauma center in Central VA at the hospital and they are really committed to community service- thatā€™s their ā€œvibeā€ so to speak. If it is an option I definitely would recommend it.

He didnā€™t love it. I thought it was similar in looks and feels to Case which he loves loves. But he didnā€™t

thanks for the info. We never got a chance to visit. I know ranking wise itā€™s not a great school but heard good reviews about their college especially for Bs/MD. Even my D got full ride there even though itā€™s OOS for us, extended family lives there.

@ CWRU and Rice: Iā€™m waiiiiiiitttttttiiiinnggggggggggggggg.

1 Like

Couple of cycles ago, heard from a parent on this forum whose child also had a full ride at VCU for undergrad but chose not to go there. They are from VA. Apparently the number of students accepted to med school from their own student body has been going down steadily and so they thought UPitt would be a better bet (the same person I was mentioning about yesterday)

Did the Rice applicant portal just change for anyone? Mine doesnā€™t have defined buttons for ā€œapplication status/Financial aid,ā€ etc. Now theyā€™re just underlined in blue. Could be something with my computer thoā€¦

@rk2017 , Thanks for update! How difficult is it to get into BU undergrad in this cycle? Lot of surprises this year.

NJMS interview person did mention to my D that they do instate tuition for OOS. This confirms what some people had mentioned before.

How was the interview? How long was it?

If you guys applied, did your Rice portal just change?

Mostly conversational. Giving good and detailed information about their school, culture, mission, etc. Lasted 1.5 hrs.

NJMS interviews goes out until March, if TCNJ asked for your last 6 digit SS after you had interview with TCNJ then they will forward your application to NJMS and then usually NJMS sends out email like within first two to three weeks of February for interview invites from looking at the previous posts unless you got rejection email from NJMS or TCNJ?

Wow, 1.5 hrs was long. Definitely a good sign.

1 Like

looks the same to meā€¦ what changed in your portal?