Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

My buttons on the top aren’t defined, they’re just words underlined in blue. Probably an issue on my side.

Does anybody know anything about the letter of intent that it sent to your top choice school indicating that you will accept their admission should they give it over all other schools. I know that this is a thing during regular medical school admission and has a positive impact on the application. Does anybody know if the Letter of Intent is something that a BSMD applicant can also send to their top choice BSMD program and will it increase chance of admission?

Depends. Last year the overall acceptance rate at BU was somewhere between 18-19%. Not sure if there is a surge in number of applications this year and if so by how much. Also depends on major. For example BME, one of their most popular majors may have less than 10% acceptance. For business and other engineerings it may be <= 15%. Another factor being how popular it is in your high school and how many from the same school applying there.

But I feel with the kind of credentials of the students here, most may be able to get into the regular undergrad.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like it would indicate anything so probably. This waiting game is killing me

I’m gonna say no. I think when you apply to a BSMD there’s an implicit indication that if you get in it will be one of your top choices. I also believe it’s probably too late at this point. Interviews will be weighed a lot more heavily so if you have one just convey the message then.

The Letter of Intent is one letter that an applicant sends to one single school saying that if the school offers admission, the applicant will accept. It indicates the applicant’s single top choice school. I guess kind of like Early Decision binding application to regular college but later on in the process when the situation becomes clearer.

Totally agree as last cycle one of our friend’s son got into BROWN, UPENN and RPI/AMC and ended up choosing UPENN as he wants to exposure more options ofcourse he is going to med school, but he still want all options open. But it is very hard decision to make between BSMD vs IVY, but is up to the kid what path they want to choose and challenge themselves.

1 Like

Does anyone have advice on how to de stress during this waiting process?

2 Likes

read a book, pick up a hobby (I got really into bonsai), watch a movie, do homework, move your stress elsewhere like scholarship applications, take a nap, tickle the pickle, cook, go on a drive, get together with friends (online or social distanced), just enjoy life.

2 Likes

Do all the things that you have been pushing away to do due to the stress of apps.
Like it would be a good idea for all the kids going to college to take self defence lessons. Try out a new hobby like photography, cooking, singing, dancing etc. Or simply catch up on your shows and laze around! Or may be help your moms around the house! LOL!

2 Likes

And stay away from Robinhood.

I put everything into Nokia. Take me high! /s

Actually it may be a good idea to give the kids $100 and let them try their hand on Robinhood!

1 Like

DD got rejected from Temple Pre-Med Health Scholars Program. She is hoping this is different from W&J Health Scholars Program and that she will get invited to interview for it. Does someone know if these are the same or different?

Check prices of all the lately high flyers today and that is not how to teach kids finance discipline. and if parents are doing it, it will add unnecessary stress.

1 Like

Wow!!! What’s happening?

Step 2 has 2 components CK (Clinical Knowledge) and CS (Clinical Skills). now they decided to drop CS component forever. Med education is going through some swift changes, first Step 1 P/F and now this.

Any word on if response to Upstate is binding?

I know about the different Step 2 components.

I was wondering what happened - chopping Step2-CS does not make sense to me. It was also something that was NOT in the news to be on the chopping block.

I just spoke to my son about it. He told me that Step 1 and step 2 CS was never a good representation of the clinical knowlege necessary to be a doctor. They were both useless anyway and should have been done away a long time ago.

1 Like