Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

There are risk averse folks and we know some one who left CalTech and joined RPI/AMC. We are now only considering 3 BS MD programs as child has Early admission in Top Ivy. If it works else take the risk.

2 Likes

Y’all realize that NJIT’s scholarship with net price of $8k is effectively a full-ride, right? They are covering tuition, room and boarding of $42K. Students take care of books, transportation and other expenses, estimated at $8k.

Congrats on those full rides :wink:

1 Like

My DD updated me just now that she is invited to UConn SPiM interview earlier this week. Anyone else?

I haven’t received any communication from them yet. Was it through email?

Yes, it was an email invite. DD said she had to reply with availability on a couple of dates and they will get back with interview details.

1 Like

Isn’t traditional MD route cost the same including UG tuition?

IMO, one may have a better(cheaper) option for UG than Drexel UG (70k plus) e.g. a state school with full tuition merit scholarship and then apply for regular route MD. One can use the savings from UG tuition to pay for medical school’s cost of attendance ( COA approx 85k /year). This is dependent on individual’s risk-appetite ( whether a risk-averse individual or one willing to take a risk via regular route MD). If the price tag of 600k plus is not a concern at all (i.e. no loans are taken out by student/parent), which may be the case for some, go for it, IMO.

My S applied. Waiting for final decision to come out on March 15th.

1 Like

No snow is a big draw for me, not so much for S. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Yes UCF does let you to apply out.

Don’t know enough about Drexel, stopped following it after they converted it to 8 years from the earlier 7 year. When it was of 7 years duration it was an attractive option, given the location and price breaks they used to give for the undergrad in the 15-25k range per year. Now that it is 8 years, they may still give price breaks for all 4 years and students may also be able to earn some extra money through their co ops/internships programs. They have good connections with the industry. Also most 8 year programs let you apply out to other med schools without having to lose the guaranteed spot, may want to find out the details and conditions. If so, Drexel won’t be a bad option at all.

(Know couple of parents in the township where used to live, their children went there for non pre med majors. One with business/economics major got into JPM through the coop I believe and offered full time and another went to SAP, both having jobs before graduating)

1 Like

same here, I love FL but she wants East. :slight_smile:

We received the NJIT fee and scholarship breakdown. It seems to be $11,644/Yr for our portion annually. For some reason, I thought that the Albert Dorman Honors College provides a full scholarship for BS MD students. Perhaps that is not the case.

Congrats!! Are you instate or URM?

I heard earlier from someone in this thread they keep modifying the scholarship at each phase of your application. I think this is the 2nd phase after you were forwarded to NJMS/got interview notification from NJMS. Did you receive interview notification? We got the same scholarship. Also I heard they have full ride for NMF.

Yes I was surprised. I had assumed for OOS it would be higher but someone on CC was saying if accepted they offer the in state tuition price or in this case even lower.

Today is the last possible day for GW BA/MD, I think? Also did anyone check their GW portal and the checklist has nothing now? Like it says no checklist items found for me.

They are having technical issues. It’s on the top when you log in

How generous is Drexel with merit for UG?

With no interviews so far and only a few more left to go we are leaning towards a BS/DO (accepted) program with option to apply out. This means passing on in-state public colleges and some well ranked private colleges like U of Rochester. Thoughts?