Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Just so everyone knows I called GW admissions. They said very clearly that interview/additional essay emails will be sent out till mid-February. They are pushing back the timeline from end-of-Jan to mid-Feb.

2 Likes

nothing negative about the traditional path, just trying to get some perspective on the BS/DO path as a backup.

Personally I like the idea of BS/MD because I know I want to be a doctor, so the less resistance I am met with the better in my mind. Iā€™m not risk averse by any means but with a BS/MD I donā€™t have to worry about doing activities because they ā€œlook goodā€ cause I already have assurance. I feel with a BS/MD I can pursue what I am passionate about and not worry about how thatā€™ll look to a medical school. Also I feel those part of BS/MD programs are super interesting and passionate and I want to be a part of a community like that. I would be happy going to a top 20 too but I do feel a BS/MD gives me more freedom in my pursuits. Thatā€™s just my 2 cents :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

My D emailed Ms. Kripa at Upstate. This is the response she got

ā€œIt is still being reviewed. It is on hold in way, we just donā€™t formally move you to that status as things move so quickly all the time. If a spot becomes available, yours and other applications will be reviewed and one will be selected from there.ā€

Not still 100% sure what this means

Are GW and BU still sending out interview invites?

Thank you for this update.

any update from cwru?

I havenā€™t gotten any. I am hoping Monday the release something.

2 Likes

Have you done enough research about DO vs MD option?

I am asking a different question than BSMD admissions, so just we all relax a bit during this stressful time as a parent.

Do you guys know when is National Merit finalist release date?

Thanks

On February 1, 2021, NMSC will mail a Certificate of Merit for each Finalist to the Finalistā€™s high school principal. On February 8, 2021, NMSC will notify Finalists at their home addresses. Semifinalists who do not advance to Finalist standing will be notified in writing.

4 Likes

Case Western PPSP results coming out tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

4 Likes

Received an email from CWRU just now statingā€¦
" We will send PPSP applicants an email providing a link to the secure webpage with their admission status. We will begin sending notifications on Saturday, Jan. 30, beginning at 12 p.m. EST.". Good luck to everyone who applied to PPSP!

3 Likes

Just got an email regarding PPSP

Says admission updates will be rolling out starting tomorrow at 12 on EST

I was going to go to the Upstate program last year and signed the form and submitted it, but then I decided to attend college elsewhere. It isnā€™t binding until you start the program I think. You just commit to not applying to other med schools.

Iā€™ve done some research not sure if thatā€™s good enough. Based on that thereā€™s not much of a difference between DO and MD because they both qualify you to become a physician on a slightly different path. It does look like MDs are preferred over DOs for some specialties but canā€™t say that with certainty as there is not enough data to support it.

confused. Donā€™t accepted students have until May to enroll? Because if that were the case, they would not interview people in May if the accepted people decide to go to a different school. Which is why I am confused.

Upstate is totally messed up. I donā€™t know how that works out when they are even giving acceptances to few kids. I think weā€™ve to just wait till end March, if something comes up fine otherwise forget it. My D doesnā€™t want to call them anymore. :slight_smile:

1 Like