Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

which are some good undergrad premed/biology schools, which are preferred by medical students.

I feel like this list is fairly agreed upon by multiple sources, but clearly I am no expert. Niche also gives good ratings of schools with student opinions so you could do some cross referencing with the list above and then form your own opinions. Sorry if that isn’t super helpful but that’s been my method of research :woman_shrugging:

How could Cornell and JHU be 14 and 15 on the list being grade deflated and super competitive? Many going there may find their plans for medicine getting derailed, and UPitt is supposedly lot better for premed than what they assigned. Do your own due diligence instead of just relying on some rankings sites.

1 Like

I second the motion.

Some big name undergraduate school can crush your medical school dream through grade deflation, hard-to-get research opportunities, hard-to-get pre-health committee Letter of Recommendation

I cross reference that list with what students said online, I did not entirely use that list alone I just used it as a starting point for research. So yes I agree all of the rankings aren’t accurate but a decent amount, from my own research, seem to be fairly accurate.

Also be aware of the rosy med school application success statistics published by the schools, claiming 70-80% success ratio: number accepted/ number applied

For the denominator, it only include those who have received the LOR from their pre-health committee, not all pre-med students.

For example, a big name school in Los Angeles advertises at 73%+ success rate in medical school application, but they don’t use the 920+ applicants from their school, only the 100 or so that received the pre-health committee LOR as the denominator.

There isn’t a peep on their website about how hard it is to get their pre-health committee’s LOR.

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

Yeah I don’t really trust the stats on the school’s pages, cause they screw with it and use a lot of fallacies like the cherry picking of evidence you just explained, so I try to look for student opinions. Does that seem like a good tactic?

You are very astute and alert to the weasel moves by school admins :sunglasses:

Student Doctor Network is a good resource.

How other 820 apply to med schools w/o committee letter?

I’ve e-mailed another big name school about how they arrived at their admissions statistics.

You guessed it, no reply at all

But not all schools are like that, USF in Tampa was open and transparent about the number of students that make it through their EA program and matriculate into Morsani SOM.

The only concern is you have to clear a 3.7 GPA and 92 percentile MCAT.

I don’t know what their outcome statistics are or what became of those who didn’t get the pre-health LOR.

Not sure if the .pdf is still up at AAMC’s website, but there used to be a .pdf listing the total number of applicants from each undergraduate colleges that had 20+ applications.

There are several undergraduate colleges that rang up 700-900+ applications per year !

So you have to ask yourself if you went to a school with that many pre-meds, how much personal attention are you going to get from their pre-health committee, how hard will it be getting meaningful research, shadowing, health-related employment opportunities

You could be a superstar in the classroom, but if the health related ECs are not strong, the likelihood of application success goes way down

That brings good segway, how many high schools, BS/MD programs published their success rate?
If there are UGs producing that many pre-meds, there is a reason why students attend those colleges. If those students don’t have success to med schools, those UG phenomenon, large pool of pre-meds, would have fade out for a long time.

AAMC’s website used to be pretty open about raw statistics and you can pull up a lot of interesting and granular data

But now it seems they hid those data behind a registration wall or aggregated it so the data is not as granular, you only get the 30,000 feet view.

Did USF share their overall acceptance to MD? Are they a good pre-med school? My son got accepted to their Honors college with a decent scholarship but we are not sure yet. How do they compare to state schools like Penn State or Pitt?

It is due to informational asymmetry.

The school has an overwhelming advantage over the typical applicant.

in what context?

Best bet is to reach out to Mr. Arnie Mejias with your questions. he is in charge of USF’s BS/MD and EA program.

He is helpful and straightforward.

1 Like

Umich should also be ranked higher for Premed with lot of research Dollars and ranked T20 med school

1 Like

Personally, I would not send my DD to many of those high cost grade delating schools for pre-med, especially when plan A/B/C are all being to become a doctor!

1 Like

We did, I am trying to get outside information about the school