Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I totally agree with you. If ultimate goal is Med school it makes sense to save dollars on UG.

1 Like

For starters, they know how many pre-meds get the pre-health LOR, we donā€™t.
They know how many principal investigators are looking to take on undergraduate researchers for the upcoming semester before the list is published, we donā€™t
and so on.

Regarding FAU scholarships, I never got mail saying a specific dollar amount, just one saying I got the Benacquisto scholarship which is basically a full ride

After a year of following CC, researching and talking to a couple of doctors, I came to a conclusion that my daughter doesnā€™t need to attend big name schools for pre-med. Actually, she should avoid going there since lots of competition and grade deflation. She applied to mostly state schools and a couple of private schools.

Medicine path is very expensive and kid will have to to work hard the first 4 years to get the grades, the scores , ECs and research to get admitted to med schools. So, saving on cost of first 4 years and reducing the stress of competition & grade deflation are the right approach for us at least.

3 Likes

Ok I think I was confused. Even we got the same and they mentioned that itā€™s tentative. I think they confirm after NMF results next week.

Unfortunately if UG is tight lipped about their statistics in public, nothing you can do about it. However, they are generous enough if you reach out to their HPA (Health Profession Advice) office if they have one. Your UG admission counselor generally doesnā€™t have that kind of information.

UMich is considered highly competitive too if not as bad and grade deflated as the above. And costs like what, 65-70k per year for OOS? Didnā€™t bother to check.

In addition to the Benacquisto scholarship for NMF they also give a recruitment scholarship which is around 14k

100% in agreement and precisely our path to medicine.

Deleted

Deleted

I am sure you are also aware that not every UG provides committee letter. HPA office may not disclose that information public, however a direct one-o-one communication with HPA office would help to dig out that info. To my knowledge UGs have cut off criteria to issue a committee letter if UG is issuing one. Also plenty of pre-meds get into med schools based on just LORs from professors, workplaces, research places.
If UG has HPA office, generally they are good at providing info about research and other opportunities. One have to remember UG is about getting maturity and expanding your wing and find work by yourself based on opportunities you have, there is no spoon feeding. To my knowledge every hopeful pre-meds find something that interest them at schools supplying large pool of pre-meds.

Yes but lot of liberal arts college which are ranked higher but do not have research funding their own medical school. Is that a disadvantage to Premedā€™s ?

In fact UMich SOM is known for favoring its UMich UG students. One of few UGs have that bright spot. Cost is obvious one has to consider based on own circumstances.

If you are getting full ride for whatever reason, probably that will sit at top of your list. Next thing, you want to make sure school is in area where you will have enough opportunities for pre-med ECs, a rural vs metro environment. Some schools, car would be necessary if one wants to achieve those ECs. Other places big support from local transport system hence makes life relatively easier.
Even that happens among state schools. E.g IL state schools, UIUC is known for engineering in nation and is located in rural area, but UIC is known for pre-meds due to its proximity with Chicago.

2 Likes

@PPofEngrDr , Do you think schools like VCU and FAU also good if you get a full ride? I think they both have research and volunteering opportunities. Will there any disadvantage with these schools?

Absolutely, there is no template, everyone should do research on what is best for them and make an informed choice.

Based on what Iā€™ve read, a large numbers those who of start on EA type programs such as SLU, Seton Hall, USF, decide to do something else as they gain maturity and expand their world view during undergraduate years

It is NOT because of any failings, it is because they have discovered more about themselves and where their passion lies while they are away from ā€¦ dare I say itā€¦overbearing parentsā€¦

Thanks for the info.

My daughter only applied to 2 BS/MD schools (Pitt & Stony Brook) and that is a long shot. She is still waiting for Pittā€™s decision and havenā€™t heard from Stony. Most like she will attend in-state UMD and from what I know so far itā€™s a very decent school for premed with pre-health advising available to help her with ECs and apply to med schools down the road.

1 Like

consider other factors too, other choices you may have along with career path options through those colleges.
Also keep that in mind lots of pre-meds change their mind for one or other reason during UGs. So one has to take balanced approach, what I call is what is plan-B even you join the UG of your choice and decided not to pursue medicine after freshman or sophomore year? In those circumstances, top colleges have better options, but a sole LAS college only, your options will be limited.

2 Likes

Canā€™t say. But Northeastern doesnā€™t have med school of own but considered excellent for premed.