Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Yeah if medicine is a good to go option but not mandatory and if you can afford, one can always consider fancy brand names. So if subsequently there is a change of mind about going to medicine later, there may be plenty of other disciplines available there which can give you advantage in career search, connections, college life in general, legacy for future generations etc.

But if medicine is a must, one must not only conserve finances - and don’t expect to get free rides at NYU med school - but also go to a place where can thrive academically and ECs wise. Some of the places you can only do one well and not the other (between academics and ECs) owing to competition and stress.

1 Like

Regarding NJMS interview. We see the following line in the email after you schedule the interview with NJMS.

“An invitation to your Zoom interview will be emailed once we have received this confirmation.”

what does this mean. do we have to click on accept to that invitation?

Boston area schools are all a good option for premed considering the top research and clinical opportunities available there

We got the same email. Once you send your photo ID to the email provided, the Zoom link will be sent out about 1-2 days before your interview.

1 Like

Is Phot id just a passport photo or any govt. issued identification?

Drivers License, Passport, Certificate of Naturalization, etc.

govt . issued id. we sent our passport.

Do you send all these to that email?

Yes, detailed instructions are found on the initial interview invite form.

We never received detailed instructions. They just the link to schedule and then gave the email id to send the photo identification, no details of photo identification.

Generally one photo Id should be sufficient, but its odd they ask to send by email and not to upload on portal, so that you feel more secured. I will make sure the procedure is accurate before sending any personal info like that just by email, do your due diligence.

1 Like

If a school provides a committee letter via a filtering process (i.e. any one who desires it, does not get it), one would be at a disadvantage with medical schools without a committee letter. One can call a Health Professional Advisor at the school and find out the details before enrolling.
While choosing a school, public transport availability at local level may play an important role for doing medical related ECs.
One would want to explore the undergraduate research support at the institution level. One has to take own initiative to find medical ECs and research opportunities. There may be a very healthy competition among pre-meds for these opportunities. UG GPA maximization should be a goal while choosing a college/university for pre-meds.

Hi ttb1263, my daughter is a current senior at UMD and loves it there! She choose to do the regular route instead of the BS/MD and has no regrets. She is majoring in bioengineering, applied to med school this cycle, currently has acceptances to 3 meds schools, interviews at 2 more and several other schools she is waiting to hear from. She choose UMD because she got a full ride there and will now enter med school with no UG debt. She says the pre health advising has been great. Feel free to reach out if you have any questions about UMD.

7 Likes

Did anyone get an interview for Mercer BS MD?

Thank you in advance for your offering. I’m sure I will have a few questions regarding UMD and pre-med path. We are hoping for full Banneker/Key scholarship but not betting on it :slight_smile: :rofl: :rofl:

Still have a few more months before decision time but it looks more and more like UMD will be the school she will attend.

Has anybody heard back about Sophie Davis?

Did you submit FAFSA (free to file and you list all schools) and/or CSS ( a fee of $15/per school) for year 2021 ?. The deadline to file depends on each school for priority consideration. Please do ASAP. Any institutional grants/loans may require you to file FAFSA/CSS.
You can finance your education by yourself (parental sources) without any financial aid if you want to do so.
It is best to call Financial Aid office of each school, you are interested and find out exact requirements regarding FAFSA/CSS.

1 Like

I have a question NMF. If you’ve already named a school as your first choice during the application, can you again change it now after the results?

My D named BU as her first choice a the time of application but now for sure we won’t be getting interview call but she may want to keep it’s undergrad also as an option. BU undergrad also not sure this year but we want to change the school depending on where she gets in if the college is giving full ride. Is that possible?

You may have time to change it. Call NMS office for the deadline.

Firstly, I think you have time at least till March 1 st (or later) to declare BU as first choice. You can weigh in factors as they unfold and decide. Secondly do all the programs require you to declare them as their first choice? May be not a requirement every where. If they insist, check what is the deadline for that program(s) and if it is after late March when BU comes up with undergrad decisions, you may still be able to change based on the outcome. Also check the guidelines on NMF portal/FAQs.

Yeah this year competition can be fierce and intense, seems they received around 76k applications for Undergrad at BU.