Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Congrats to all for committing to Upstate BS/MD!

Has anyone received a rejection from Hofstra? I heard that some got interviews but not rejections yet.

Just for Information to All:
IMO, $5500 is maximum one can get in Federal loan during freshman year. Almost everyone qualifies for these loans even those with high EFCs. One needs to file FAFSA to get these loans. Loans are always counted as financial aid. Loans are main source of medical school funding(Financial Aid).

I have my VCU interview coming up soon.

Are you allowed to take notes to formulate a response to the MMI scenario during the two minute free window? Or, do I need to formulate my response in my head?

MMI Interview Tip #1. Create a structure for your answer
Your interviewer will listen to several other students on the day of your MMI interview. One way to have a solid score is to have an organized structure to your explanation. If you have a rambling answer, your interviewer may not be able to follow your reasoning and explanations.
Think about your discussion with the MMI interviewer as having a thesis and supporting points.
Example: One way to structure an answer is:
Thesis: Given the situation presented in the prompt, I would give the patient birth control. However, I would like to discuss the factors in my decision and the potential implications for the patient.
Then, dive into the meat of the answer based on your introductory structure:
• The pro’s for giving my birth control are…
• The potential drawbacks are…
• I have to take ethical considerations into account.

MMI Interview Tip #2. Explore the problem or situation from multiple perspectives
Example 1: If you’re asked whether to prescribe a medication, you want to discuss the pro’s and con’s of the decision.
Example 2: If the prompt involves several parties, then be sure to discuss the impact of the situation for everyone. You may want to discuss the situation from the role of:
• The patient
• The patient’s family
• The physician
• The hospital
By doing so, you will show that you can consider the problem in a broader scope.

3 Likes

From fau email about financial aid offer:

1. Log on to the MyFAU Web Portal (https://myfau.fau.edu)
  2. Select the MONEY MATTERS tile.
  3. Select YOUR FINANCIAL AID tile.
  4. Click on the “Financial Aid Status” tile, (if prompted, select the Aid Year from the drop down box: i.e. Academic Year 2021 - 2022
  5. Click on the Accept Offer tab, then click accept or decline for each offer.

What I noticed in the past is, most put stats only and don’t give their perspective or their secret sauce for getting into BSMD. Without that those posts are useless.

Thanks! Do you login as a prospective student? I think to see what you’re saying one should sign into owl. Is signing into Owl not acceptance?

“my FAU” site can be used after activating FAUNet ID and creating password. Why did you activate it already? Its nothing but another id, but wondering.

My DC enrolled in OwlDown Portal and got FAUNet ID. I don’t think that’s acceptance, because we haven’t paid the deposit yet. https://owldone.fau.edu/ says “Submit your deposit to officially become an Owl!”. Check with the admissions office if have any concerns about getting FAUNet ID (not Z number) and its relation to commitment.

I believe no notes but read more specifically what the email/ portal update says. It may clarify notes or no notes.

Followed FAU financial offer instructions per their email to see what it is. :slight_smile:
Their offer isn’t accepted yet, the deposit comes later.

Is that Letter or email? Can you please check again? Did you end up getting FAUNet id to see your financial aid offer?

We also received USPS letters separately for both FAU Boca and FAU Wilke’s Honors in Jupiter back in December or even before. Though we did not express any interest and did not submit application to Wilkes in Jupiter, they still sent acceptance and scholarship for it. Its same amount,12K, for both of them.

1 Like

Anyone got NJMS interview from Stevens?

True. Thanks for clarifying. That is what we were told when my daughter attended her interview (in 2016). Feels like eons ago :relieved::relieved:

1 Like

Anyone know what’s the format for FAU interview?

@ BGKYMom

For DC, after the initial undergraduate interview with Director BK a few weeks back, there hasn’t been any outreach from them.

Wishing others to have better luck.

It’s the same with my D. Got a general /standard email that they will start forwarding the applications to NJMS (not personalized)…

UAB is a good program, did you interview with them? If you did, then you already went through the MMI type interview.