Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Great, thank you!

Irrespective of outcome of our BSMD journey, this forum has provided us a platform to learn great deal about every aspect of medical school process right from applications, supplements, interviews, accept rates, residencies to practicing hopefulness, patience, resilience.

These learnings are super useful. And if we have to pursue a regular route MD, this group of kids are already miles ahead than any normal pre-meds.

Thanks to you @NoviceDad and other seniors members for guiding us through this process.

3 Likes

Thank @NoviceDad, wondering why some medical schools donā€™t want to release their data (that is used in ranking process) and participate in ranking process?

Completely agree. This forum is real amazing. You can not see such kind of support easily elsewhere - Guidance and experiences sharing from seniors, Support from every one when somebody is rejected/down and cheers when somebody is accepted. I did not know anything about BS/MD route up to 1 - 2 years back. I even did not know that High Schools can be admitted directly in Medical schools. This forum gave me all knowledge to guide my child. I am highly thankful to you all. :pray: :pray:

Any one heard from UAB EMSAP?

sorry to ask again, any tips/guidance on preparing for umkc interview day would be very helpful. thanks in advance.

Has anyone heard anything from Pitt GAP about interviews?

will they send an email or update on the portal.

1 Like

After getting an NJMS interview through TCNJ, have you received acceptance and merit info for the undergrad?

If you login to the portal it says it will come out on the 2/15.

Question is how important they are? Are they help more or hurt more?

in portal they are saying no interview letter is issued.

what is everyone doing about college visits. all the decisions will come out by mar end or mid april. will you still do in-person visit before accepting/finalizing or accept it without in-person visit. i am somewhat concerned about this as we will have to make the decision without actually being in-person.

I cannot visit in person just cause my mother is chronically ill and itā€™d be hard to visit campuses with her being so sick and COVID. Iā€™ve been doing virtual tours and reading online about the school. Is it the same? No. But Iā€™m fine with it, itā€™ll be an adventure I suppose. But Iā€™d say if you are able to visit at least your top pick (whether thatā€™s for academics or financial reasons the top pick) I would try. But personal no Iā€™m planning no college visits.

1 Like

For now I agree with you.

Still T20 medical school will give strategic advantage their students with research funding and cutting edge opportunities in academic medicine with compensation based on quality and complexity of care.

My daughterā€™s application was forwarded from Siena to AMC. Havenā€™t heard anything sinceā€¦ anyone else??

I received an email that stated ā€œat this time we will begin forwarding applicantsā€ no idea if that meant that I was chosen or it was more of a general statement.

I am going to ask this since I am not too familiar with how residencies work - when medical schools say they have 98% match rate, I assume they mean 98% of the class matched into some residency. But I guess it could be their first, second or nth choice. Is that right?

Also when medical school students apply for residencies, do they usually apply to one specialty that they like or they apply to multiple - like a students can apply to internal medicine, surgery, Anesthesiology etc (and rank them accordingly)? Or is it usually unlikely as it does not make sense and looks bad that they donā€™t know what they want to do?

what do you mean? my portal isnā€™t working so i canā€™t see what it says

Yes to your first question.
No to your second question. You apply to only one speciality.

Just got an interview invite for the Brooklyn College program with SUNY Downstate.

1 Like