Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Thank you. Do you know if they call rejected applicants or if they will send an email ?

I believe recipients and alternates will get a call and those rejected will get an email :confused:

Yes, you will receive an email.

Congrats on being accepted! Are you from Georgia or Alabama?

Congratulations to all the students who were accepted to UAB BS/MD

@escorpi11 @Smilescreen @theshiningray - Congratulations and wish you the very best!!!

4 Likes

Congratulations and good luck! Are you in state or oos? Do you know if the interview notifications are rolling ? What do the virtual interview dates look like? My DC didnt get any rejection email,so was wondering.Thank you!

For the VCU MMI interview, are we supposed to talk for all seven minutes straight or only for like 3-4 min and then discuss with the person?

From what I have read about MMI, its that you talk about 2-4 mins to a prompt and they might/might not (most likely might) ask follow up questions.

Congrats to all admitted to BSMDs. I am not one of them so it’s time to think of which UG to choose for traditional track among Rochester, CW, Temple, Upitt, VCU, Rutgers, Drexel, Penn State, GW, and probably BU. Tuition is not a game changer for me(getting internal & external scholarships + FA.) I am interested in medical imaging research and practice. I would appreciate any insight.

I would take advantage of the network affect, where multiple schools are clustered in one area with access to a broad scope of resources nearby instead of a school that is an island by itself.

1. BU - with Harvard, MIT, Tufts, Northeastern, other 28 universities within 90 minute drive.
  2. Drexel/Temple - with 5 medical schools within 90 minute radius.
  3. U Pitt- with Carnegie Mellon next door.
  4. Rutgers - in the middle of NYC/Philly corridor with lots of opportunities
  5. GW- next to Georgetown, in the Capitol, 'nuff said

Just my 2 cents

1 Like

My 2 cents -

Since you clearly mentioned that the tution is not a game changer for you, and obviously all the institutions you mentioned are good on their own, I suggest you go with the usnews ranking and location to your own state, weather

For example - Rochester is the best rank wise but if you are not used to cold snowy winters and if upstate NY is very far from your home state, you should consider other colleges

Rochester #34

CWRU #42
BU #42
UPitt #58
Penn State #63
GWU #63
GWU#66
Temple# 103
Drexel #133
VCU #160

1 Like

I am sorry for your situation and pray that all will be well with your mom. Don’t worry about personally visiting campuses. Very few students are doing this with COVID.

You should really learn as much about the schools as possible and virtual tours and reading online about the school is pretty good with current situation.

2 Likes

@Sammong

My 2 cents -Choose a UG college/Univ where the number of students offered admittance to medical schools

Example:

Rhodes College excels among national liberal arts colleges in the number of graduates accepted into medical schools. Over the past six years, 86 percent of its graduates with a GPA greater than 3.4 and an MCAT score above the 57th percentile have been accepted into medical schools, including Harvard Medical School, Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, and Emory University.

IMO, Philadelphia area will provide access to many resources for doing medical ECs. Here are two research centers related to your interests.
Temple University Brain Research and Imaging Center (TUBRIC)
and
Temple University Magnetic Resonance Imaging Center (TUMRIC)

IMO, for pre-med UG, any four year institution will do. You should aim for getting a maximum UG GPA. Ranking of UG institutions do not matter much when applying to regular MD either but UG GPA and MCAT score do. UG GPA and MCAT score are usually first screening criteria before a human eye even looks at your application at most medical school admissions offices. AMCAS has all the data about the applicants.

How is such a statistic possible? Franklin and Marshall in Pennsylvania has a similar statistic( 90% acceptance rate with 3.4+ and 76%ile MCAT, with acceptances to Harvard, Columbia, etc…). It just doesn’t make sense when the common consensus around is that undergraduate school doesn’t matter.

One has to dig deeper on these statistics and ask relevant questions.

My point is Ranking of UG institutions do not matter much , high UG GPA and good MCAT score matters to get medical school admittance. Getting UG GPA 4.0 in high ranked institutions like CW, UR is not that easy.

1 Like

I am actually from TN! and thank you so much!!

There is no rule to apply to only one specialty, that is true what you are saying. The reason I said no is that the herculean effort you put to apply to one specialty itself is crazy, then to apply to multiple is unimaginable, also consider this you have to start doing your research and publishing in Med school as per the residency you are intending to apply and that research process can be up to 2 years long, again multiply that by applying to multiple specialties. Then you cannot apply to same hospital for multiple specialties since that shows that you are not sure what you want to do. Considering all this most people apply to one specialty.

@Vicky2019

How much do you advise on betting just one rankings website and taking their opinions for granted and on face value? There are multiple like Forbes, Wall Street Journal and may be Barrons … All of them have varied opinions. I can tell you Rochester as an institution by itself is no better than CWRU, BU or Penn State …

Besides, how about doing one’s own due diligence like checking out the faculty profiles in the major of interest, research funding, popularity of school, acceptance rates, campus vibes, student/alumni happiness and outcomes, location and the opportunities that it entails …

3 Likes