Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Sorry to hear about your mom. Praying for your wellness.

You are doing the best under the circumstances. One thing I would suggest once you get into your final 3 colleges - reach out to the current students and talk to them. This will give you additional perspectives.

2 Likes

From your list, I would suggest you look at at Rochester, Case, and UPitt in more detail.

UPitt medical school takes nearly 25-30% from its undergrad and as a pre-med track student, there are many opportunities (provided you take the initiative) in the Oakland area where UPitt is located.

Do similar analysis for Rochester and Case.
Take to current students and then factor in you own personal factors to come to a decision.

2 Likes

Apply to residencies - multiple residencies:

Dermatology is example of specialty where research is highly valued. One ADCOM had told me that at their college, students who make it to its residencies have an average of 7 papers to their name.
However, except for certain specialties like above, weightage for research is very varied.

Many students that I know had adopt this approach - choose a primary specialty and 1 secondary specialty to apply for residency. Make sure the Away Rotations, the time spent on these specialties is about 65%:35% (primary to secondary).

Than apply for residency to about 75+ primary and 40+ secondary specialties. I have not seen folks applying to more than 2 specialties.

And then pray for interviews - about 10 for primary and 5 for secondary.
Finally, hope the schools score you high enough to get matched!

1 Like

Take all percentage information with a pinch of sat.

In 2019, only 5 students from Franklin & Marshall went to pursue MD or DO degree.
In 2018, it was just 1 student
In 2017, it was 4 students.

Here is the data:

https://public.tableau.com/profile/chris.alexander#!/vizhome/Classof2019_15858476453790/Story1?publish=yes

Most medical students do not know which primary residency to apply until clinical rotations starting in 3rd year. Do you know what are you going to specialize in ? Research publications require time to produce and get published.
It is quite impossible to apply to more than 2 specialties, IMO.

1 Like

Agree fully with this, see if they premed data which shows gpa:MCAT bands and admission percentages and where they got. Also check research opportunities now itself and reach out to faculty

1 Like

Do guys think that we will hear from GAP today? It’s the 15th

I would think universities are closed today for Presidents Day.

1 Like

Pittsburgh region is experiencing snow storm today.
Another 3 to 9 inches expected on top of over 1 -1.5 feet of snow already accumulated.

1 Like

Has anyone heard from Penn State PMM?

Got into Pitt Honors! Waiting for GAP!

4 Likes

@rk2017 - I understand where you are coming from. However, my attempt was to provide suggestions/advise to @Sammong from multiple people so it helps him/her arrive at their decision confidently.

Firstly, Students go to college for learning. Students who are smart and determined to learn could potentially go to any college and succeed.

Secondly, I get that there are a lot of different journals and there are different college ranking websites. Obviously the quality of education a student receives is more important than the college itself. A near 4.0 GPA in a undergrad from a non T30 school might impress admission officers more than a 3.5 -3.7 GPA from a Top 10-30 college especially if the students are in the bottom 75-80% of their class.

Thirdly, people talk about “best fit” and that students should join their best fit college since they will succeed where they are happy. @Sammong needs to figure out what their best fit is, themselves!

1 Like

Looking for some opinions on the premed programs at Penn State and USF, cost is same for both. PSU seems to be more research focused but USF has med school and hospitals on campus. Acceptance rate to med school is around the same for both (~65%). Wondering about quality of education and MCAT preparation. All other factors such as location etc. is not a big deal and DC likes both schools.

I haven’t. Does anybody know when last year’s acceptances were extended?

On last year’s thread, I noticed people reporting it on Feb 12.

@Shanmuga20

1. What is your state of residency?
  2. Research: you can do any where, most of the time it is at the UG school. It does not have to be at a medical school or hospital.
  3. MCAT Prep: your DC studies and no one, neither school or profs can do anything about it.
  4. Quality of education: Both PSU and USF are comparable school and it does not give any trump card.
  5. Have you planned about the logistics. Does your DC plans to have a car? Is DC comfortable with driving? This is one aspect to consider since both volunteering and shadow need to be planned and it may not be in the campus. Either good public transportation or self driving will facilitate that.
  6. Thought a year back or so USF main hospital is (newly built) at a different location (Tampa downtown) than what was in the campus. Heard PSU does not have any close by hospitals etc. Check them out. This is more important than all other since at the end of the day your DC has to study to get GPA, prepare for MCAT.

Last year it was the Wednesday before the President’s Day weekend. Hopefully we can expect it sometime today or tomorrow then…

2 Likes

For RPI/AMC interviews, do they send you link before your interview for the MMI as do not see link in the website. Nevermine it says it will be emailed so I guess they will email day before the interview.

Thanks!! We are a resident of PA. DC can drive but not planning on taking a car to the college. We heard transportation is good at USF between hospital and campus? Yes, fully agree DC has to prepare for MCAT but would the quality of education affect that? Lack of hospitals around PSU is a concern for us but not sure how much it matters during school. Can he volunteer during summer?

Hi! If you have already interviewed for NJMS, was your interviewee the name provided in the Zoom link email (under topic of the Zoom link)? Also, was the interview more of a conversation? I have my interview this week and am extremely nervous. Thanks!

1 Like