Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

my daughter just received the link and there is someone’s name in the topic of the zoom link. We looked up this name in affiliation to the medical school and no one came up as a match. Strange.

1 Like

@bsmdbuff

yes, the name of the person in your topic will end up being the interviewer. You can look at my previous posts on this thread where I discussed the interview in detail but in summary, it is highly dependent on the interviewer. They have a few base question they are required to ask but they have a great deal of freedom in conducting the actual interivew.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Congratulations and Good Luck! NJmS Thru which feeder?

Deleted

Congratulations and Good Luck! NJMS thru which feeder?

Hi, are BU interviews still going out? If I haven’t gotten one yet, should I just assume I didn’t get past the round?

I believe they are rolling. I already took the interview. The interviewer said that results would be out in maybe early march

What is the opinion regarding doing a MBBS at the med school in Manipal and coming back to the states for residency.

It will always be more difficult for an IMG to match into a US MD residency as opposed to a US med school, both MD and DO

Based on recent follow-up by someone on this forum, this week may be the last chance for any more interview calls coming from BU. Btw, today is a holiday for them. GL.

1 Like

You brought up this discussion before about Indian and other foreign medical degrees. I remember no one on this forum really preferred that route. I don’t think Manipal is any different.

Why are you thinking about it? Why not traditional MD route in USA?

@Sooar78 If you are looking for an endorsement here, doubt you will find it. IIRC, now you have a green card( you said so in one of your posts), so you can finance UG in USA mainly by taking out loans( Apply via College Financial Aid Office) in case your parents do not want to pay for it, IMO. Consider your state university for UG and it has a few good ones.

@sooar78

SA: If no BS/MD, go with regular MD route.

LA: In my street there is a student decided to do it in India (not even tried BS/MD). Bright student and from one the highly competitive HS and US Citizen. But there is no short cut. Got 3-5 interviews in the current cycle and mostly will start the residency this fall. But it is exactly 8 years since graduated from HS. Though 5.5 years including residency in India, student needed more time to prepare for Step exams, and also did internship with various places in US to prepare for a strong application.
Few students story from my office has mixed results. A student from LA came back since he did not like and could not adapt to new environment.
What is the driving factor in your situation? If you are clear about medicine, stay focused on what you need to do during UG and you can succeed.

Practically, yes but technically there may still be a chance to get an interview call, IMO.

@bsmdbuff Some one stated a stress interview with NJMS in past. Please be calm and composed during the interview. Some one else advised to make an eye contact with the interviewer during medical school interviews.

1 Like

Bumping up the thread sorry, any other opinions or first hand experience to share about these schools?

How do you measure quality of education at PSU and USF ? MCAT score will depend upon individual’s preparation and ability, IMO. With proper preparation( taking all pre-requisites, proper test preparation materials, having done enough practice test etc. ), a good MCAT score can be achieved regardless of the UG institution attended.

By quality of education I mean professors, class size, advising etc. I know somewhat about PSU but no idea about USF. Considering PSU is one of the top PA state schools how does USF compare in that regard with UF being FL’s flagship state school. Not that all this matters much but just trying to get an idea about the school. USF is also in a better location compared to PSU and as @GoldenRock pointed out proximity to hospital may be helpful.

Yes, UF is one of the top engineering schools and a good medical school. Being a PA resident, Philadelphia area has many options to choose for UG and is well connected by subway for medical ECs. All major universities will have a large pre-med pre-requisites (BPCM) classes. Philadelphia area is very good for medical ECs (UPenn, SKMC, Temple, Drexel and other resources).