Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

The authentic data for regular medical school admission is from AAMC ( they have a staff of statisticians). It shows in the last row for all applicants the acceptance rate ( at least ONE medical school ) as 41.9%. No argument there from professionals.
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-04/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23_0.pdf

All Applicants Acceptees 21 49 239 1,164 3,533 7,325 12,160 14,859 12,209 10,524 62,083
Applicants 4,417 4,542 7,492 11,690 17,297 22,703 26,187 24,186 16,779 12,753 148,046
Acceptance rate % 0.5 1.1 3.2 10.0 20.4 32.3 46.4 61.4 72.8 82.5 41.9

One needs to attend a U. S medical school (accredited by LCME) in the AAMC data.

Does below rumor makes sense,

WASHU and HPME have their program on hold and this can be followed by Upitt (Still to interview for 2019) and Baylor. Baylor was top ranked and Upitt Med school is also ranked.

If that happems, then BS MD folks have to settle with T25 plus Med schools. I do not know if in BS MD ranking of medical school matters, as I was looking at past posts where handle @srk2017 had some strong opinions on T20 med schools vs others.

What are experts thoughts ??

Once one gets into a US medical school, it depends on him/herself, what to make out of it. All LCME accredited US medical schools follow the same curriculum and prepare one how to become a licensed MD in USA. In fact, once a board certified MD professional, no one cares which MD or UG one has attended. Your payment for service depends on the medical billing code for the service performed not by your medical schoolā€™s name or ranking. The rest is for bragging rights/prestige/ego (ranking etc).
FYI, @srk2017ā€™s S is currently applying to medical schools as a regular pre-med, having given up RPI/AMC and BU SMED bsmd admissions. Let us see where does he go.

To follow @srk2017 argument, one should do a regular route MD instead of opting for any over-priced bsmd program just to have a bird-at-hand (total risk averse) option.

I see few people tagged me regarding BSMD vs Traditional path and I have already stated my opinions over last 3 years and I am not going to comment further until March.

Sure @NovicdeDad. Just as a closure, want to also comment on statistics cited by some about 40% acceptance rate or whatever. Not sure how that data is compiled but have doubts about taking those figures on face value. Didnā€™t bother to research on it since I never had a need to do all that for C.

But do know it is not that easy, wish it was. Personally know many bright students who have struggled, still struggling even after gap years and even quit completely (some of those who let go the direct med programs they got into but could never get in traditional route later). Even with wonderful credentials at undergrad and MCAT.

Just a word of caution for others to do research before believing or subscribing to anything and to take realities into account.

well one need to develop

Well ample data has been provided, refer to post #783, #784, and it is from official AAMC site that represents American Medical Colleges, not from some global ranking site. :wink:
Struggling is part of growing and maturity, who fails to reach the threshold to be a Dr is good for society as society doesnā€™t want an incompetent Dr practicing. By the same token to suggest that tender ~17-18 years age, BS/MD high school kids have achieved same maturity is just fallacy (there are always exceptions but those are not standard).
Nothing is easy when you pursue medicine route, irrespective of path BS/MD or traditional or non-traditional (UMich class has 56% from non-traditional route).
Each case and every family situation is unique and due diligence makes sense when all outcomes are known, which is not until next spring.

HPME programs seems on hold, unlike WUSTL program information is still on site. My guess is it is due to all P/F and ACT/SAT score uncertainty due to lack of test dates and what else. Dr Wayne has stepped down, donā€™t see it as significant and new leadership in medical education is going to be in place.
https://news.feinberg.northwestern.edu/2020/08/new-leadership-in-medical-education/

A closure to the closure, :-), since forgot to mention something which I already did earlier in this thread. Even if someone wants to take the above figures literally, needs to consider that the landscape of medical school admissions is different. Due to gap years and what not multiple graduating batches of aspirants compete in any given cycle. Unlike traditional undergrad or in BS/MD programs. So very likely the competition is with oneā€™s own graduating class, the one prior to that and one following oneā€™s own. So to get a more realistic figure one needs to divide the numbers by a factor of somewhere between 2 and 3, say 2.5 (batches that one needs to compete against). So it will be around 16% per batch of graduating students more realistically.

If one does a deep dive into the data presented below in
https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2020-04/2019_FACTS_Table_A-23_0.pdf,
an applicant with UG GPA >= 3.8 and MCAT > 517 (which is achievable) has almost 88% chance of acceptance into at least ONE medical school. All you need is ONE acceptance to pursue a MD.
There are at least 12% of the applicants in this group ( best stats group UG GPA >= 3.8 and MCAT > 517) who do not get any admission offers. Anecdotes are random instances and do not represent the whole picture.

One is free to believe whatever one wants to and justify it oneā€™s own way but that does not make it a fact.

If someone is just desperate to be a Dr, there are donation seats options, they donā€™t need to aspire. Competition brings best from students, thus only people who are capable of being Drs. If one is afraid of competition after medical education, one should practice in Antarctica, there wonā€™t be Drs from previous or next batch.

It feels like we are so going to owe every recommender like a first class ticket to Fiji before this cycle is done. Between the traditional schools and the BSMD programs, itā€™s a lot of letters!

I took my ACT on the 25th of July and my friends who took it with me in the same location got their scores back on Tuesday and Thursday. Should I be worried? Or will mine come back this Tuesday?

@speedyliv

My son took his on July 18 and just got it back on the 12th. He had friends at the same test center who got them back on the 3rd and then some who got them in a weird trickle release over that week. I think right now it is just chaos at ACT and the new access launching didnā€™t help.

I know you are probably worried, but the odds are extremely high it isnā€™t an issue on your part.

@mom2boys1999 Okay, thank you!

Hey everyone, I have a question, I am hoping you all can help.

The activities that need to be listed in CommonApp, which order should they be listed in?

1. in terms of maximum hours spent on them?
  2. in terms of highest position served?
  3. in terms of overall importance
  4. or the healthcare should be listed highest irrespective of anything since that is what BSMD programs want?

I am getting mixed feedback so not sure which way to go. Any Thoughts?

Also, do colleges read all the 10 activities? I have also heard that they just read the first 5-6 and donā€™t focus on the last few.

@confusedjunior61 , I have similar questions about how to organize activities section. Can experts provide some comments? Thanks.

I understand that some people were able to take ACT this past July. How many test centers remained open and which closed? Were any open on east coast? I am considering signing up for September

@confusedjunior61

my kid did his in order of meaningfulness which also correlated to his health related activities.

He had over 10 activities so he chose the ones that balanced him out too, like if he had 4 healthcare activities (one being weaker) he would maybe put 3 healthcare and use 1 school spirit activity. It was also about showing he is more than just one variable repeated.

What is the general acceptance rate for the Temple program?