Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I believe common app let’s you shuffle the order between the applications so it need not be static (as per what I remember during C’s cycle). If still is so, recommend to place the healthcare and any other strong ones at the top (where you can talk comfortably at length if called for interview) when applying to these programs, and when applying for traditional you may want to showcase leadership, sports and more generic stuff at the top.

@kt0356

Does your school offer an in school SAT day? Our county is reeeeally pushing for us to make that test date.

I also know in our county a lot of the high school counselors manage the weekend offerings. One of my coworkers does it for our high school and for the test date in July I reached out to a couple of them to see who was still firm in their commitment to offer it. Maybe chat with your counselor for an opinion on it?

thank you @rk2017 and @mom2boys1999.

Also, do you know if the colleges only read the top 5-6 activities only or do they read all 10?

If I have to guess, I think it is likely that all the 10 (or whatever max one chooses to fill in) will be read for BS/MD programs for the following reasons

• the number of applications is much smaller compared to the regular undergrad, ranging from 0.5 to 3 thousands per program, so likely to get enough attention from the admissions folks.
  • the bigger ones among these have dedicated staff to process and make decisions on these, separate from the overall admissions staff. Such as program director, administrator(s), special counselor etc who all work with some high profile officials like dean/associate dean of med school. So chances of getting their attention to all the details is higher.
  • the caliber of students applying to these programs is very high compared to typical undergrad. So it is difficult to decide who to invite and who not to without giving thorough consideration to all the details for all of them. Besides, who wouldn't want to go through all these wonderful profiles?

However I think the essays are perhaps the best way of connecting with them at this stage.

In one of the virtual session for a college, they mentioned their admission counselors get 5-8 mins to review an applicant. Can’t remember which college was it. May not be true for all colleges or BSMDs.

Is there any advantage to applying to multiple of the NJMS bs/md programs compared to just one? I got a fee waiver from one of the feeder schools but my family and I don’t really want to spend time/money on multiple NJMS feeder school applications if there is no advantage.

That helps! thank you!

Is there any advantage to applying to multiple of the NJMS bs/md programs compared to just one? I got a fee waiver from one of the feeder schools but my family and I don’t really want to spend time/money on multiple NJMS feeder school applications if there is no advantage.

@rmsm99, with NJMS, you can apply via multiple feeders. First the feeder school has to select you and then they forward the application to NJMS and then if NJMS selects your application, you are invited for an interview with NJMS. I also think that first you need to interview with the feeder school. So there are 2 interviews.
Applying to multiple feeders increases your change at the feeder school level. I hear that TCNJ/Stevens/NJIT BSMD programs are very competitive and they each get hundreds of application. So applying to multiple feeders increase you chances of getting selected. Also, if you apply via multiple schools and if you finally get selected by NJMS, you can choose which undergrad program you want to join (and potentially have more bargaining power about who gives you more scholarships).

If application money is the issue, choose your top feeder school and go with it.

Try to find out what is the typical feed volume to NJMS from the said feeder. If it is one of the low feeding schools such as Stevens (<= 5/year) you may still want to spend money and apply through others which send bigger consignments each year, such as NJIT or TCNJ, thereby increasing your odds.

This is from NJIT website, somewhat old though, for reference and comparison:

the number of students in the various stages of the application process in 2018/2019:
Total Applicants 364
Total Applicants Meeting Minimum Requirements 229
Invited for Interview with ADHC Committee 107
Selected by NJMS Committee for Interview 50
Offered admission to BS/MD program by NJMS 23
Enrolled in NJIT BS/MD Program with NJMS 9

thank you so much @rk1235rk and @rk2017 . One of the feeder schools I was considering was Stevens but if that is so low then I will consider more schools as well.

@rmsm99
For NJMS, please apply to NJIT, TCNJ and Rutgers/Newark feeders to have any meaningful chance IMO. All scholarship decisions are made much earlier than NJMS decision ( approx Mid April ) date. Are you a NJ resident ? If you donot know, you are screened by feeder schools first through an interview and then forwarded to NJMS. NJMS does another screening and invites a few select for interview. Only one interview with NJMS for an applicant.
If you are a NJ resident, you have a much better chance as a regular route MD applicant. NJMS prefers NJ residents as per data on their website during regular MD admissions.

@shortcake2467 The official data is presented when you are called for an interview with Temple. There is no fixed number of applicants to be selected each year.

@grtd2010 no i am not a nj resident. does that lower my chances at a nj bs/md too?

There is no data available at NJMS website which breaks down NJMS bsmd admissions separately (NJ residents vs Non-residents data is cumulative). IMO, they may follow similar ratio for bsmd as they do for regular MD admission. Some may disagree with this.

got it. i guess I’ll just try my shot and see what happens.

Please refer to post numbers 495, 496 and 502 on this thread regarding NJMS selection policies.

thanks!!!

You should go through the bsmd results threads from past years and seek out details of those admitted to NJMS or other BSMD programs in prior years to realistically assess your chances. In general, one should apply broadly to have a reasonable chance. Are you a URM ? If so, you have much better chance than ORMs (Over-represented-minority e.g. Asians). Wish you good luck.

Hello
Sorry for posting in wrong thread,

Can someone point me to direct dental program thread (BS./DDS) ?

Thank you