Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Congratulations. When did u get the Hofstra interview? Do you know if they are rolling? We did not hear from them after submitting the supplemental and CASper test.

SKMC receives approx. $85 million in NIH funding compared to $300 million for UAB.
PennState- University Park + Hershey gets approx. $150 million.

My broader point was this $$ value has 40% weightage in US News Ranking.

4 Likes

On the contrary, UAB may be known for no grade deflation. The course curves may be dependent on the teacher/professor, IMO. One can check the professor’s ratings on ratemyprofessors dot com website for any professor at any University.

1 Like

@confident2021 - You mean “US Presidential Scholars Program”? Congratulations! You should definitely have her apply.

Application for the U.S. Presidential Scholars Program is by invitation only .

Each year, up to 161 students are named as Presidential Scholars, one of the nation’s highest honors for high school students.

Thanks Vicky2019. Yes they sent us this link. Was just wondering if it is worth it, because the application will take up to 16 hours.

1 Like

Is there any monetary component associated with it similar to $2500 scholarship for NMS ? It may be too late for any bump in admission consideration.

1 Like

From what I have read there is no monetary component. But getting this award opens up a lot of doors for opportunities and a chance to meet the best in the field at the White House ceremony.

Yeah, want to visit WH, go for it. Is it a paid trip ? 161 out of may be 4000 applicant - 4% chance.

Yes it is an all paid trip.

Yes sadly they were not able to get my daughter’s contact info and so they sent al ate message and have extended deadline for her to apply.

My S is also a finalist and he submitted his application yesterday night. Go through it, you probably have almost all essays from college essays that she wrote. It didn’t take him 16hrs for sure.

2 Likes

Thanks for that reassurance and little info. It is helpful.

UAB is a public research university where as PSU is not but only a state-related.

1 Like

We have not even heard about UG, though applied in November. They did not reply to emails either. So, given up on them!

Your D will also need to send the high school Secondary School Report, so if she hasn’t already sent the link to her high school counselor from within the portal, she’ll need to do it soon.

1 Like

UAB’s research spending for 2020 was $600+ million whereas PSU research spending in 2020 was 1.1 billion dollars. UAB received $400+ million in federal funding and PSU received $600+ million in federal funding so they are in no way funding starved.

1 Like

Sorry. My daughter’s interview is scheduled for March 5th

In High school or UG?

Really? are you sure? so why are they receiving federal research funding to the tune of $600+ million?

I interviewed for AMC in mid Jan