Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Acceptance seems as good chance as 1 of those 25 reporting here… :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Sort of. I was an uninvited fly on the wall. They don’t want goats operating on people later.

Chemistry, AP credits, AMACAS

If you are in a BS/MD program, do not worry too much about AMACAS application - it is just a formality. Your seat to your medical school will not be denied just because you took AP credits for your high school classes.

In some schools, such as Northwestern (NU), you have to take an assessment exam to get AP credits. My D scored with flying colors in Chem and was told to take advanced level courses i.e. Orgo in her freshmen year. (For Folks interested in what happened - Orgo Chem is one of my D’s strong suit and she is currently lead peer tutor at NU, apart from tutoring kids at other colleges. And she is all set for Feinberg - received the official (post AMACAS) acceptance letter yesterday! I digress here, sorry).

Weed-out classes can be handled with adequate preparation from Day 1.
Most students/ parents in this forum have already heard about some of these classes. Make sure to reach out to your upper classmen and find out which classes trigger the most anxiety and pain and take early action.

Take the credits if you believe you are adequately up for the advanced courses.

9 Likes

On the contrary, it would be unprofessional to not let them know if you do not plan to take the interview.

Email is fine. This will serve as a written record.
If you want, you can also call the admissions office/ Director and let them know.

Congratulations to you and your family @NoviceDad !

2 Likes

For whatever reason Organic Chemistry trips lot of students and few excel in it. Glad to hear that your D is one of the select few. It’s an average class for my son and had to study more than usual to get As. He likes physical chem more.

I think college chemistry classes have more depth than AP and IB and unless one is willing to take higher level chemistry classes I recommend taking them and as you said students needs to be prepared from day 1 and don’t assume it will be same as AP/IB class.

2 Likes

It is a good choice! My DD got into PSU/SKMC and she decided she would rather go there even if she got into Drexel.

1 Like

Congratulations to your D and the family @NoviceDad ! Wishing her the very best. New to the group, is she OOS or IS? Thanks

My DD said she plans to take BIOL 110 and CHEM 112-113 at PSU (assuming she goes there) cos herAP Bio was during sophomore year and AP Chem last year, and she doesn’t remember taking them already :grinning:

1 Like

Congrats to her and belated happy birthday wishes. :slightly_smiling_face:

@mygrad2021, @PPofEngrDr
Thank you.

Thank you.
OOS
She was in the BS/MD cycle a few years ago.

My greetings to all in this group and Thanks to one and all who have and are contributing in this forum. Got to know of this site a month back and have been a silent reader and have probably gone through every single post. There is so much information being shared here and i believe it is very helpful.

MY DC is a HS Senior and applied to a bunch of Direct Med Programs and some UG. He has gotten a lot of acceptance to the UG and Honors College, and Got just 1 Interview for the Direct Med Program and Unfortunately he did not make it.

Me personally, am a little disappointed, but always try to take things with some perspective. For sure, the applicants who made it, have something better or just suit the program. Back to the drawing board to figure out what next. DC wants to go down the Med Path and as parents all this is very new to us and i appreciate all the information which is being shared here. For sure, i would like to personally thank the ones who have contributed a lot and will do so when i am able to send them a PM.

Sure my DC is disappointed. However, SLU is an option and so are some good IS public schools. Would love to hear from anyone on this group and welcome advise/suggestions/recommendations.

Thanks Again!

2 Likes

If you are seeking input, you may have to provide some details.
List of colleges in consideration
Order of priority considerations from your C and family perspective
Child personal preferences, strengths etc
If you prefer not to make them public, send PM to your preferred folks in this forum.

Did your DC get into SLU Med Scholars program? If its the only option you have in BSMD path, I recommend it unless you plan to go regular route MD which is not bad either.

Thanks for the response @love4bsmd. Yes The Med Scholars Program with the VP Scholarship.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response @GoldenRock. There are some IS and OOS Top 10/20 UG Schools and a couple private schools, one IS. Debating on Cost and since the Med Path is a marathon, after reading a bunch of posts, trying to seek input on what would be a good path forward.

I understand my question is generic and do not have the ability to send PM’s yet.
For sure there a lot of silent readers like me, who for sure can benefit from this kind of question

1 Like

What is SLU standing for?

SLU - Saint Louis University Med Scholars Program

Thx.