Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Very well said @Vicky2019. I echo @Vicky2019’s thanks to @rk2017, @srk2017 and other seniors. You are providing tremendously valuable service to students and parents on this forum. I have sure benefitted from your posts without which I would have spent several hours/days researching. Hats off to your selfless service and please stay on as long as you can without negatively impacting your life otherwise.

1 Like

During the interview, the schools are good at sensing how much knowledge you have about your stated research. I’ve talked to some kids that go into pre-memorized 3 minutes talk about their research without being to explain in simple English what hypothesis the research aims to establish or rule out - definitely not favorable from an admissions perspective. please make sure you understand your research well enough to explain it in simple terms to someone with a background in sciences.

1 Like

This has already happened in Bay Area. Literally all doctors that were in private practices individually or in groups that we have known for 25 years (and were very well known in their area) are now part of Stanford or Sutter Health or El Camino Hospital. We were wondering just the other day what private practices are even left for new kids to go shadow at. Plastic surgeons that we are familiar with still seem to be in private practice but that’s really about it.

1 Like

Same happened to us except for AMC.

I’m sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, even good candidates get rejected. I hope some insight on what I know about Bacc2MD will help a little. A while ago, D was very interested in this program so we reached out to the advising office to see if we could talk to a current student. (I would recommend you do the same if you are leaning towards this program.) We talked to a current student in the program. She was very nice and said she loved it there. She felt supported. She went there for monetary reasons but she said it is a very nice place. She did mention that many of the students who go to Utoledo are commuters so it can feel emptier on the weekends. Nevertheless, it is a very nice place, and she said if you work hard, you can get to the medical school easily. She was a Bio-E major and was in her 5th (and last) year of undergraduate. Many of the students in the program are from In state or not serious about medicine and will drop out anyway. For someone with such a high high school GPA, your hard work will not go to waste. Wherever you go, you will be great and you can find many unique things at Toledo if you so choose. Hope this helps and please let us know what you decide!

Thank you so much for the input. I will definitely try to talk to some one in that program. At present time I do not have many choices. I am planning to do Bio major.

1 Like

If I am not wrong you fell into SLU’s min ACT score ‘30’ requirement. It is possible this year SLU might have received an overwhelming response as far as freshmen admissions are concerned along with other universities. Subsequently, it is possible that SLU could not offer BSMD admission to someone who satisfies the min ACT requirement for this program. I suggest you spare 1-2 hours reading the last 2 years’ BSMD results thread. There you will see most parents/applicants were just looking for at least one interview and one BSMD acceptance. If SLU is your favorite medical school then you can pursue a Residency thereafter completing “Bacc 2MD” at UToledo. Just a thought. Good luck with “Bacc 2MD” at UToledo!

Thank you. Considering residency at SLU is a good idea. I agree that my ACT score was the min for SLU in general but this year SLU was test optional so I am not sure if that made any difference.

SLU went with Standardized Testing Optional for Admission to Most Programs for this year. Don’t know if SLU’s BSMD is test-optional.
In test blind, they completely ignore the scores, even if those were submitted. That wasn’t the case for SLU it seems. Anyhow you have at least one BSMD on hand. :slightly_smiling_face:

other site has new thread on CNU. Anyone considering CNU BSMD should read that one.

Which site is this. Can I put the link here. Thank you so much

Also any inputs on UVA tradition route vs Georgetown EAP. Thanks in advance. Still waiting on a few options. But started researching though.

1 Like

My personal preference will be UVA.

R u in-state for VA? Even if it is not the case, UVA is an excellent university.

3 Likes

Thank you. Yes we are instate.

Congratulations! on UVA. Hands down you should choose UVA. In-state tution is a big plus as well.

IMO, UVA and Georgetown are similar calibre schools. Public schools are large and students have to fend for themselves. On the other hand, private schools are smaller and you can get more attention and support.

The difference in the amount you would pay for Georgetown vs. UVA would be huge and certainly not worth it. You are a smart kid, I am sure UVA would be good for you for pre-med? (since u mentioned EAP)

Just keep on look out for medically related volunteering/shadowing experience as well as research. Get involved from get go.

Also be on top of your studies and focus. Try for high GPA > 3.8 or similar

1 Like

One needs to some homework on both the options. UVA has a reputation for being a tough school, intense competition with a lot of smart kids and grade deflation. As an instate student I am sure you asked around. If you are from a rigorous high school like TJ, you should be fine.

George town is probably a little easier at the cost of expense. You will have excellent support system. Have you found out how many they accept through EAP?

Also if there were to be change of mind with respect to going for medicine or not, Georgetown will be a great launching pad into fields like business/finance and law.

2 Likes

Thank you so much

@Bamd2023 - Did you see this page on Georgetown EAP? The requirements seem straightforward enough…

To be eligible for the EAP, students must be in their fourth semester at Georgetown University and have completed four of the five pre-med courses by the end of May (biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus and/or statistics, and physics). One of the four completed courses must be organic chemistry.
No MCAT is needed

Other requirements
· Must complete undergraduate studies successfully while maintaining a minimum GPA of 3.6 (BCPM and overall)

· Cannot earn a C or below in any class

1 Like

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

Yes DC is TJ student. That’s what she had her upperclassman say about grade deflation.

But since TJ was tough( grade-deflated) school too, DC wants a little bit of go- easy UG(she knows with pre-med track that’s going to be difficult) before the hard work in medical school. She is good hardworking student.

That’s why she is torn between uVA and Georgetown. Will look up EAP numbers. She has been doing NIH research ( got it all on her own with no parent or friend/family referral ) since last summer. She would like to continue that.

She is still waiting on a few decisions. Is it worth going to Georgetown for a slightly easy UG .

Thank you again.

I added another point to consider in my earlier post.

Well, depends on individual family situation. If finances are not a concern for now or later for med school, feel Georgetown may be a better bet. She can excel with relatively less stress and also has a shot at EAP (but don’t necessarily count on it though, competition for the few slots can be intense). Do they give any price breaks on merit or will you qualify for any need based? How about similar schools like Miami with good EAP programs but also give generous price breaks, have you applied to any such?

Personally have known a lot of kids leaving almost free rides at flagship state schools and going to the likes of NYU for undergrad. And there are many too sticking with state schools. So depends on individual situations and preference.