Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Other site? Sdn?

1 Like

We donā€™t qualify for financial aid . We are waiting to see the final financial statement from Georgetown. They are known for not giving any merit is what I heard. Financially if she goes there she will be in a little bit of debt that will be manageable and will be helped by us.
she did not apply for UMiami but she got into SLU med scholars with vice presidential scholarship.still waiting on URoch UG that she is interested.

I think SLU med scholars with presidential scholarship is a better option for a TJ student. She can always shoot for UVA med school later while in that program if she wants.

She got in with SLU VP not Presidential though. You think itā€™s will still be good to go there? Thank you so much

It is student doctor network - pre-meds, helicopter parents and some medical school adcomms visit it frequently. Sometimes they talk about this thread (CC), not in a positive way.

IMO, UVA is a better choice as an in-state student. If your D can do well at TJ high school, she would do well in UVA. One does not have to join a BSMD program to become a doctor. Only 5% of medical school seats are filled by BSMDs.

Has anybody heard post-NJMS interview updates?

Oh ok, so guess difference in dollar amounts I guess? If it is not a huge difference and you are comfortable with what you need to pay for the undergrad, shouldnā€™t be a big deal.

You know she wonā€™t have issue with meeting the program requirements. Only thing, needs to prepare MCAT seriously and get done with it by junior year, preferably early. Then can decide whether to continue with the program, finish it off early in 3 years and take a gap year to focus on med school applications or spend the senior year too there while simultaneously pursuing both other med school applications and ECs.

NJMS results come out during the first week of April for everyone. Your feeder school will call/email you if selected by NJMS. Stay put until then.

1 Like

There are couple of premed (and particularly one) and one adcom think any parent who is involved in kids education is a helicopter parents and go after you if you try to participate. So most parents are silent participants.

Yes, one in particular knows your user handle well at CC.

What is wrong with guiding your kids and others through various choices ? If parents are well informed, they can really help their kids to make good choices. One should do that in spite of what others say.

5 Likes

Speaking as someone not very involved in their kidā€™s education, and realizing we should have been, I do not understand the view of the society that it is perfectly alright for the student to struggle and reach out to random strangers and a community for help or even get a mentor or paid help but it is absolutely forbidden for the parent, who is most vested in the childā€™s interest, to take actions to get them advice/help.

I do get it that some parents can be overwhelming. Iā€™ve run into a few myself where it was not only their kid but also other kids and their parents feeing extremely uncomfortable, but that is the exception and a different category altogether. Iā€™m taking about sane parents with lives of their own that are taking an effort to make time to help their child.

6 Likes

May be some of those have bad experience with their parents so take out on parents in anonymous sites.

@Bamd2023
Please select whatever has more weightage with your daughter.

I am considering these factors - UG/SOM (cost, rank), difficulty in UG, guarantee for SOM

Difficulty in UG to prep for SOM: SLU is easiest. UVA is most difficult.
UG rank - UVA (26), Georgetown (23) , SLU (103)
UG Total cost (approx) - UVA (120K), SLU (200K), Georgetown (320K)

SOM guarantee: SLU is pretty much guaranteed, Georgetown difficult, UVA - very difficult
SOM research/primacy-care rank - UVA (29/6), SLU 72/58, Georgetown 44/87
SOM total cost(approx)- UVA*(300K ), SLU(330K), Georgetown (400K)

note: UVA med school is amazing and may be your D will have in-state advantage? you should check.

Yes, I changed my id afterwards, but not because of him but I did based on one adcomā€™s comment.

I got admitted to VCU BS/MD and I am waiting back from NJMS.

Would it be wise to choose to go BS/MD over and an Ivy League undergrad? I still want to consider applying to med school in the traditional process and perhaps gain admission to NYU or UPENN. On the other hand, my parents think that getting into a BS/MD program is easier than traditionally applying so I should just take the guaranteed seat.

1 Like

If your parents are willing to pay for Ivy league UG and medical school, you should decide what do you want. VCU BSMD is a bird-in-hand option and you can apply out via regular route MD.

Thank you

Thank you so much