Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

^^same question

If anyone has insight in UCR vs Toledo EAP program, please share. Are they similar or one more competitive than the other?
My D got a decent undergrad scholarship from Toledo covering all the tuition and some from UCR. But still Toledo 4 yr undergrad + 4 yr med school cost comes out to be pretty high for out of state students. We are out of state for Toledo and in-state for UCR.
Hence wondering if Toledo provides much better chance of acceptance to its med school.

Also not sure how much Toledo Bacc2MD is open to out of state students.

For UCR do not assume you will get into the program though there are some very amazings students there - dont ride eveyrthing on it is what im saying

Not quite clear what you are asking here. So your child got into Toledo EAP but not the Bacc2MD? Or you are referring to the same?
If different, don’t think you can switch to Bacc2MD if you haven’t already applied in this cycle.

Remember someone here mentioning Ohio has very flexible rules for qualifying for instate. At least for med school portion if not undergrad. And you seem to be having a decent offer for undergrad as well.

You can check the general undergrad competitiveness of each school by checking their latest available common data sets. Various sections all aspects of student body matriculating into a given school.

If it helps, UCR medical school usually takes 100% CA residents but acceptance rate is only 5.5%. Do not know about any advantage of being a UCR UG.

University of California – Riverside

Practice Type Allopathic
Location Riverside, CA (Southern California)
School Type Public
Average GPA 3.72
Average MCAT Score 510
Acceptance Rate 5.5%
Percent of Class In State 100%
Tuition $37,612 (in-state) and $49,857 (out-of-state)

theres also no guarantee u get in its competitive

All medical school admissions are competitive, no one is a shoe-in.

Your main concern is OOS status of your D at Bacc2MD-UToledo program. Why take a chance ? Go with your home state UCR and apply via regular route MD, IMO.

We had the same concern too being in-state, how much of a value Toledo UG has? I know one can be successful anywhere if you’re smart but may not be the case with normal students.

Ik but she is comparing a bs md to an ea so i wannt to make sure she knows just because you are competitive and UCR is one of the less prevalent UCs means nothing

Usually one applies 20-25 medical schools depending on UG GPA and MCAT score, (UCR medical school is just one) via regular route MD.

UCR medical school is geared for those from inland empire (rural area) and lot of people apply without knowing that. I believe they also have early assurance program.

@rainbow000 As stated above UCR has special purpose and students who belong to Inland empire and plans to pursue primary care practice (IM, FM, Ob/GYN) it has advantage. Not just CA resident or even LAX Metro.
OH has advantage to become IS. But is your C comfortable to Midwest weather for 8 years (especially if born and raised in CA)?
Better to select a good UG school based on all your child’s personal preference and family preference and do well for regular MD. (unless got some BS/MD and considering both routes)

1 Like

Regarding Hofstra BSMD interviews, can someone share the interview experience?
How was the parent info session? Thank you.

Thank you

Hey guys. So I unfortunately got rejected from all of the BS/MD programs I applied to. I am still waiting on one BS/DO decision but it looks like I will have to follow the traditional path for med school. As such, I wanted to know if I should apply AP credits. Will med schools like it if I don’t take certain classes at college and apply AP credits for them? I am asking because if I am not going to apply AP credits, there is no reason to take the exams and I will cancel them.

It depends on the medical school and UG school. Even if you get AP credit for introductory courses in BCPM, you may have to take an upper level course in the same subject. What course are you planning to take AP exams ?

My mom enjoyed the parent session. She took some notes and talked to me about what she learned about the program afterwards :slight_smile: She had not known anything about the program going into the session.

1 Like

This is what Johns Hopkins med school says on their website.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/education-programs/md-program/application-process/prerequisites-requirements-and-policies.html

Never get discouraged by BSMD process given the low number of admissions and all the things need to get into one of those as a HS student.

As per AP credits, you can use them but you need to take upper level science classes to show college rigor and science GPA. If you are majoring in sciences that won’t be an issue. No grades for AP credits.

my general recommendation is don’t use AP credits for sciences unless you are going to large public university which are known to have very tough grading for first year science classes. Only AP credits my S used is for math since his major doesn’t have any math requirements.