Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

I have credits for U.S history, world history, spanish lang, bio, calc AB, and english lang. I am deciding whether or not I should take the stat, english lit, and U.S. gov & politics exam

IMO, you can use a lot of these AP credits to fulfil General Educational Requirements at most of the colleges. You have to check with an academic advisor when you enroll. If you use AP Bio credit, take other higher level Biology courses like Cell Biology, Genetics. Statistics can also be used to meet Math requirement for some majors. Cal AB may be used for only one of the Calculus I requirement. IMO, your should take the AP examinations and may land up with a lot of college credit towards your UG degree. AP Spanish may meet language requirement at some colleges.

2 Likes

Assuming I use all of the credits I have, do med schools accept candidates that graduate early, like 3 years instead of 4? How will my overall med school application process be affected if I graduate early?

Except for Bio, you shoudl use all credits and you should take and ace all planned APs you mentioned. They can help you skip a lot of the Gen Ed courses.

For Bio, decide based on school. In general, I would advise my DC to take basic classes in Bio and Chem in UG and then move to higher level classes.

As long as you maintain a healthy GPA, up to you whether you graduate early or not. I know a student graduating in 2 years thanks to her/his high school curriculum which enabled to also get an associate degree concurrently. Then graduated from college in 2 years and took a gap year for MCAT preparation and applications process and went to state med school. Must be finishing up residency at a Harvard teaching hospital by now.

1 Like

It is your UG GPA and MCAT score which will influence your success in regular MD application cycle. You must prepare well and plan to take MCAT only once. It is advisable to have taken Organic Chemistry I & II , and a Biochemistry course before taking MCAT. Can you take MCAT early enough to be able to apply in an application cycle starting summer (June-July) of your sophomore year ? You can then interview with medical schools during junior year and matriculate to medical school after finishing your degree in 3 years.

1 Like

One can get derailed by harsh grading in introductory Bio and Chem courses and risking a poor GPA in the process. Higher level Bio and Chem courses are meant for meeting major requirements. These may give a better chance of getting an A.

Agree, which is why I would recommend taking the lower level course or not based on UG.

Was referring to Bacc2MD as EAP. Will try to find the Ohio instate discussion in this thread. Somehow I missed it.

Regarding UCR, that is what I hear that it is for students from inland empire, but probably if one gets involved in quite some community service they can prove, they are interested. Couldnā€™t find any stats as to how many students outside inland get selected in EAP in 3rd or Haider in 4th year. For example Toledo Bacc2MD says 43% out of state.

Midwest weather is a concern, because it might take at least 1 winter/year to get adjusted, and Bacc2MD in 3rd year January, will require her to be ready with significant research and community involvement in past 2 years.

1 Like

What do you guys think about the Seton Hall BS/MD? Is it a good option?

Research is not required for most medical school admissions unless applying to research heavy programs. Of course, clinical exposure, volunteering, community service, leadership are more important. There is no mention of a research component in UToledo website as quoted below.
BACC2MD students are guaranteed an interview with the College of Medicineā€™s Admissions Committee if they have:

• Participated in special mentoring activities
  • Maintained a cumulative college GPA of at least 3.5
  • Have been involved in extra-curricular activities demonstrating a sincere interest in a medical career as well as demonstrating a compassionate and caring attitude

The MCAT will not be required for students admitted to our College of Medicine and Life Sciences through this pathway. The interview will occur in the fall of the 3rd year of undergraduate studies (4th year for BIOE students).
IMO, BIOE is not a good option for medical school aspirants. One should aim for a high GPA and a high MCAT score in case applying out due to non-selection.

Here is an excerpt on Ohio residency for tuition purpose. It may not be as simple as some folks claim. Are you planning to move to Ohio with your child ?

"If you are a student attending a college or university in Ohio, it may benefit you to apply for residency status through your educational institution, so you can pay in-state tuition rates, rather than out-of-state costs.

Applying for residency for your college is not a legal change in and of itselfā€“ it applies specifically to that educational institution and their bylaws for tuition. However, once you receive the in-state rate, Ohio will consider you a resident for tax purposes as well.

Generally, in order to qualify for resident status at your college, youā€™ll need to:

• Have a parent or legal guardian that is an Ohio resident, whom you live with at least half the year.
  • Have lived in Ohio for 12 consecutive months immediately preceding enrollment or applying for the reduced rate.
    Specific requirements are laid out by each university; if youā€™re looking to apply, make sure to reach out to your collegeā€™s financial aid office for assistance."

@rainbow000
It does not matter whatever you may call it -Bacc2MD BSMD/EAP or may be some other fancy name. All that matters is the conditions attached and risk associated with it. What is there in a name !!!

Some one stated that only 12 interviewed with UToledo SOM from a recent batch of 50-60 students admitted in the first year. This translates into a 25%-20% acceptance rate. This is much lower than 42% acceptance rate for regular route MD. Some thing to deliberate on.

Yes it is

Seeking input from this knowledgeable board among these three choices : 1. FAU bs/md 2. UMKC bs/md instate 3. Wash U pre med - or the like. Thank you in advance

Throw in the costs and what kind of medical career you are hoping for.

If you can get good number of hours in all the ECs and then ace the MCAT and write excellent essays. I would recommend using the extra time to bulk up on ECs and aim for top tier school.

Looking for help in choosing between Union/AMC and SBU/GW. Hoping for a career in a surgical specialty. Any input is greatly appreciated.

I also got into that program and I was really happy until they charged me over 30k for undergrad :,)

The good part is that you can apply to other med schools with no penalty.
They reserve 40 seats for Seton Hall undergraduates but they accept everyone who has the stats so im not sure how much people will get rejected from the interview.

BTW I applied to the Binghamton LECOM program and one thing that seems weird is that they seem to accept everyone who gets an interviewā€¦ do they really have that much seats for us?

I got into Seton Hall BS/MD but I realized that the program only guarantees you an interview which honestly is pointless to me. Iā€™d recommend just going to a better ranked undergrad for regular pre-med.

1 Like