Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Congratulations! Are you an in state new york resident? If so, I feel like the SbU/ GW program would be a lot more cost efficient as I know Union and Albany Medical College are pretty expensive.
Union does give you an MBA as well though, so if you want to own your own practice, that might help you out a lot!

Are you a NJ resident ? Here is Rutgers tuition rate
In-state tuition 15,407 USD, Out-of-state tuition 32,189 USD
Rutgers charges same fee for 12 credits or more, so one can load up to 18 credits for the same amount. May be finish early.
Seton hall may be comparable for an OOS ( no public funding) to Rutgers.

LECOM has about 500 seats in their med school class spread throughout its campuses so Iā€™m not surprised.

Look at the cost of not only UG and med school. I received a supplement from AMC BS/MD but decline to complete it since one year of med school tuition is around 100K ā€“ just too expensive.

Iā€™m from New York :slight_smile:

I know most pre-meds donā€™t say that they want to be a family physician, but I honestly really want to be one which is why I donā€™t want to break the bank with my undergraduate

There are hundreds of thousands of practicing physicians without an MBA or any formal management training. This is a myth. Of course, they will charge you for MBA, it is an extra fee.

Iā€™m in state and Seton Hall came out to around 60K without any scholarship. With my presidential scholarship, it was around 36 or 40K. Their tuition set up is misleading on the website since they sort it out by credits.

1 Like

So they allow for ~100 students to be part of the affiliated early assurance program (for osteopathic medicine) but they literally have 50 feeder schools so I would think a lot applies.

The application itself was really simple, only asking me for my GPA and SAT and the undergrad schools I want to go to. Iā€™m happy I got an interview but confused as tho how they decide who to interview. The man told me that 99% of interviewees get accepted as long as they donā€™t screw it up.

Do you think LECOM is a good program? I mean I was just worried if they accept everyone?

How much would you want to pay to go to Seton Hall? For me, itā€™s around 13k and Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s worth it. I got a full ride from Keanā€™s NJCSTM STEM Program which looks nice, but idk.

Yeah you donā€™t need an MBA to own a practice but

Extraordinary value: Masterā€™s (M.S.) degree at no additional cost. For LIM students, the Union College undergraduate tuition includes the masterā€™s degree courses. That means M.S. in Healthcare Management students pay no extra tuition for their masterā€™s degree. For the 16-course M.B.A. in Healthcare Management program, LIM students pay for just four classes beyond the undergraduate tuition
from this website Leadership in Medicine | Union College

2 Likes

I got into VCU bs/md so Iā€™m no longer considering Seton Hall. I would consider attending Seton Hall for maybe like 15-20K, but even then there are better UG schools that I would attend as a regular premed (ie: Rutgers NB, TCNJ)

2 Likes

Please donā€™t attend Kean no matter what. Their rigor in curriculum is terrible ā€“ will not serve you well for MCAT

1 Like

Hello folks,

Is there a way to get stats for applicants going from a UG school to itā€™s Med School?
Like Number of applicants, Number of acceptance etc
I know some state schools(Med) give preference to In-State, while no such thing exists for private schools.

This is more for information/knowledge as this is our first time doing this.
For sure, such data may help us as parents having another data point.
For example,
State UG (UNC) ā†’ State Med School (UNC)
Just picked UNC, could be any state school.

Thanks

Lot of schools premed offices publish the data. However donā€™t go by percentages, just look at GPA and MCAT ranges.

Here is an example from Vandy.

If you donā€™t find online, reach out to the school. Donā€™t go by anecdotes from here.

Did you try google search for schools you are interested ? I had posted data for Rutgers-NB students going to NJ medical schools.

Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine 13

@srk2017 Thank You for your response. This is exactly what i was looking for. How did you get this data? I would like to get something similar to this for the schools i am interested in. Are they public records?
Thanks

@grtd2010 Thanks for the response. I did try searching and did not find any. The public records i found is how many applicants from a particular UG school, but i am looking for finer details. Thanks

Which schools are you interested ? Go to each schools website and dig in there.

Did you hear back from UMKC BSMD @2021hsqw ? We are still waiting to hear back, so checking.