Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

@grtd2010 @srk2017 - USMLE Step 1 is now P/F. USMLE Step 2 (Clinical) is now suspended indefinitely. It’ll come down to USMLE Step 2 (Knowledge).

1 Like

Yes, It seems Step 2 CK(Clinical Knowledge) will be used by PDs.

That’s clinical skills one primarily targeted at IMGs and hated by everyone.

@coldindorf - Yes you are right that MD is preferred over DO due to two reasons - 1. competitive specialities 2) stats required by the MD being higher than that required for DO.

IMO, If you are a high school student considering BSMD and BSDO and only end up with BSDO admissions, you could opt for regular route instead and apply again to med schools.

You could finish you BS with pre-med and then apply to MD and DO schools. If again you end up with only DO admissions, by all means, you could join a DO school.

1 Like

LoL…Without knowing the context, folks may think its true and work even harder to get into BU SMED :wink:

MCAT must be cause for concern if one could not get the expected SAT/ACT scores even after well-prepared multiple attempts. Test taking itself is a skill and some may not be as good as others.

He is and that’s why interest in surgery especially Ortho is like handy man job. He fixes the things I mess up :slight_smile: He can pretty much to anything but I still have to fold and iron his clothes :slight_smile:

@jawacat - I recommend that your kid enjoys his time between high school and undergrad. In order to be successful in the long run, it is very important to take the time to relax. IMO, the most successful student already knows how to have a work-life balance (like @srk2017 son :slight_smile: )

This is one of the most important life-skill to learn since the journey to becoming a Doctor is a marathon and life as a doctor could potentially be even more challenging!

2 Likes

Even in HS, my kid had Friday night off (even though he was competing in 3 different competitions) and I made sure he got enough sleep every day. Those little things matter a lot.

enjoy your summer of freedom haha because you won’t be able to do that for a while

You are right - work-life balance is very important for longevity in any profession. Most MDs have unplanned work hours and on call all other time. They have to perform all other tasks - household chores, family related, school related for kids etc.

@grtd2010 - do we know this to be true - that most BU SMED score 100% on MCAT? or are we basing this on a report from one individual (e.g. has it been confirmed by multiple sources, ideally a BU SMED student)? or is one being sarcastic? just wondering.

lol, that’s not what I meant at all. I was referring to URM vs. socioeconomic background, not qualifications. sorry the confusion. all bsmd programs are extremely competitive.

1 Like

MCAT is a hard exam to crack for almost every one. Getting a 100% is almost beyond most test takers, IMO. But MCAT threshold may be low for BU SMED ( may be ~510 a 80% score), which should not be too stressful. So BU SMED is a low stress choice amongst BSMDs, IMO. Sorry, your S is in BU BSMD, my apologies.
Here is actual MCAT requirement for BU SMED

• Seven-year medical students entering the program, although admitted to the School of Medicine, are required to take the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) no later than January of the third year in the program. Students must achieve a combined score at or above the 80th percentile on the four numerically scored sections of the MCAT. The results of the MCAT are considered by the Promotions Committee when it makes the final decision as to whether to promote a student to the medical curriculum.

Just received call from Ms. Ripa. DD is accepted to Upstate through ACPHS.

Our BSMD journey ends here as Upstate is our priority and DD likes ACPHS and we are in-state.

Entire family is super happy!

14 Likes

@love4bsmd - Congratulations to your DD and the proud family!

1 Like

Congratulations to your DD and family. Best wishes for future MD journey.

Does doing a DO/JD improve changes for residency?

Since sarcasm is tough to express over internet, here is the fact. Any one who claims to score 100% in MCAT with no prep must be smoking the stuff that was made legal in few states recently.

you mean chances? What’s JD got to do with residency? actually program directors may get scared by JD :slight_smile:

Lol was that a joke? I’m really interested in both fields and think that I have an idea of how to incorporate them both (spoke with a few MD/JDs before). And plus, why would so many schools (like even Penn Perelman) offer those programs if they had no use. But yeah, I meant to ask like does that help your chances for residency placement?