Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 1)

Hello, yes I think that would be ideal too, but I first wanted to pop onto here and see if any seniors/students who were already admitted to the UAS Program have any information on this because I know that this is a common concern.

You should understand the contract with the help of a professional before signing it.

Thank you!

We would have considered SUNY Poly, provided that’s the assigned feeder by Upstate (even though it was not our preference). Received 5K/Year scholarship this week from SUNY Poly. I did not know they can offer scholarship for instate on top of super low tuition (T+ F = 10K) there.

DD is happy to be in Albany as ACPHS is close to UAlbany, AMC along with great Medical facilities around for ECs, research and pre-med support at ACPHS. So we are super happy, even though tuition a bit higher.

There isn’t any hateful feeling here. Just not sure which one is a better “fit”.

That’s what I’m thinking! I believe she will find her way there eventually!

I agree with what @jawacat said. Pursuing something for longer term and the stuff you gained/learned/contributed to/from it is more important than being part of too many clubs and activities. Do what you love and display that passion in your essays which reflects true YOU.

1 Like

It is based on my experience of students with such scores.
While there are exceptions, most students do find weed-out courses tough and having a BS/DO keeps them focused on the path of medicine.
I have seem many promising folks switch careers because they could not recover from the initial set-backs in college.

1 Like

You have time to build up your profile doing things you love.
Depth is more important than breath.
Colleges do look at your entire profile - not just one activity here or there.

Think how can you make yourself to be a compelling candidate.

If I understand correctly, the choice is between a BS/MD program vs a non-BS/MD program.

How important is for your D to be a doctor?

I suggest reach out to students at both programs and speak to them.
Get answers to your specific questions on “fit”.

1 Like

Yes, assuming you already applied to that UG feeder school even though that feeder school did not forward you to NJMS.

1 Like

That’s what we’re working on. I’m hoping to hear from people somewhere in college confidential land about one or the other program. Hard to find people who have first-hand experience. The school sent you up with representatives from the programs, but we want to hear the good and the bad LOL

Thank you @love4bsmd and @novicedad. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn’t look like a filler, because I genuinely want to do those things.

Same applies to those going for traditional path. Few club leaderships won’t make a difference. Essays shows whether you did them out of passion or box checking unless you are an excellent creative writer (possible). LORs (Letter of Recommendation) can also have big influence.

1 Like

@muhlme - Is UConn or VCU instate for you? Are you getting any scholarship from either? What is the cost difference for your family between these programs? Both these are public universities. But, instate means lower cost.

VCU is a direct medical program. If in-state for Virginia, it means you have better cost deal for both UG and Medical school! You should seriously consider this option. Also VCU allows students to opt out so she can apply to medical schools in regular admission cycle and try for in-state med school. So, you have best of both worlds.

If in-state for UConn, you could study UG there and apply via regular admissions to Medical schools. UConn STEM scholars is not a BSMD program.

Also, @NoviceDad mentioned that “fit” is important. Your D should talk to kids from both colleges. You mentioned your D’s first impression. First impressions are ok but doesn’t convey message about 4 years of experience.

You have to work hard to get an A specially premed classes. My son works very hard and sometime he does feel like wish he took the BSMD route that he got without MCAT last year, but he liked everything about UPenn and his heart was set on going to Upenn, but yes you have to work hard and it also depend on professor and how the class is doing and curves and stuff. I think is just everything virtual it makes it very hard, but hope they get in person by fall semester. But so far good as also lot of research opportunities available through Upenn.

Oh, ok thank you so much! And would you say that the curriculum is open enough that you are able to double major in different fields (like a science and humanities or neuroscience and music for instance)?

Do a simple google search and you will find double major policies at UPenn.
The Major | College of Arts & Sciences - University of Pennsylvania read Double major section.

• Do not do an Engineering major if interested in medical school. You UG GPA may suffer.

• Double Majors
    A student pursuing a double major satisfies the requirements for two separate major programs within the College but earns a single degree, the B.A.

• Policies Governing a Double Major
    Students who wish to double major may do so by applying for, and completing the requirements for, each major.
    Students interested in double majoring should consult with their pre-major advisor.

• Students who are double majoring must complete 18 unique course units between the two majors. Students who are triple majoring must complete 24 unique course units among the three majors. Major departments may have additional rules limiting such double counting.

• The minimum graduation requirement for a student who is double majoring is calculated using the number of c.u. required for the larger major.
    Students who are double majoring may double count two courses, one from each major, toward the Sector Requirement.

• See specific information for College students wishing to declare a second major in one of several Engineering departments.
    Second Major in Nutrition or Engineering

• College students are able to declare a second major in either Nutrition or any of the major programs in the School of Engineering and Applied Science. In all of these cases, the student must also declare a primary major in the College. Students who pursue this option should be aware of the College’s policies regarding the minimum number of Arts & Sciences credits required outside of the primary major.

Think about all this after Ivy day. It may not be a good idea to do music and neuroscience together. You may lack time for doing medical ECs and research etc.

1 Like

I don’t recommend double majors for premed but some do. I have “Keep it simple stupid” philosophy. No medical school gives any value for majors and minors if you tank GPA.

1 Like