Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Here is the Cost of Attendance (including Room/Accommadation+Food etc) for options DC has as of this morning…
1.Stony Brook BSMD (10K scholarship/yr) : In-State: $400K, OOS: $500K
2.Univ of Southern CA (USC) Premed UG half Tuition: $200K (UG only)
3.UT Dallas Premed UG Full Ride: $0 cost (UG only)

in option 1 - Cost In-State $400K includes UG OOS tuition fees $17K/yr (after scholarship), and MD In-State fees $43K/yr (assuming DC takes a gap year, work in NY, and get NY resident status).

why not apply out? If i end up having a 3.9 and think i can do rly good on the mcat is it not worth it or are u saying rochester is good enough that it wouldnt make too much of a difference for residency?

Both of my kids go here! TJHSST
Lol.

“And the kid who can sell from a low ranked state school will be far more successful than a average Ivy leaguer without strong social skills. Isn’t that why most ORMs don’t even go into finance? “

What exactly do you mean? Are you insinuating Asians, Indians lack social skills?

If you are confident about 3.9 GPA 520+ MCAT and do all the ECs then why pick Rochester and spend more? Do you have any T20s or expecting Ivy admissions ?

That is there in other places also like Harker in Bay Area. These schools charge $30k/yr and have seen folks who have put their multiple kids for 12 years. We are talking about $400k for MD, these folks spend that much for HS. That too when they live areas where public schools are good like Palo Alto.
It is critical that public schools should continue for the 99% of the population who can’t afford such a cost for HS.

2 Likes

Strike out UMKC and Drexel. NJMS but your C can decide TCNJ or Rutgers. Residency can come back to CA from NJMS as long as C does well during MD.

1 Like

Never understand throwing money like that. Mine went thru public schools but gifted programs

Congrats, You will enjoy with your attitude. It is nothing unusual, in the last few years 1 IL student went back to IL MD and another student went to Madison MD (he is from WI). Last cycle 1 TN student went to Cincy since keen about Ped. There are few students continue in OU itself and they all seems to be happy. Know bay area student who is MHSP and 3rd MD there. Another student did 4 years with double major and went o Europe for Marshall scholarship and doing MD in UTSW. Another student took 5 years for double major and wanted to study more and got MD/PhD at TX A&M and San Antonio. All are happy with whatever decisions they made.

1 Like

@compengineer1 You are putting us in a tight situation. At times we pray when you will go to Himalaya but at times we want you here since you have provided enough entertainment in the last few days!

Really need to meet your Dad and won’t be surprised he will utter send him first to Himalaya since who knows you better than him!!!

AMC hasn’t released yet as far as I know except for a few early admits. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Tjhsst is a public school.

Thomas Jefferson High school for science and tech. Kids go through 2 english/math/science tests and the selection involves SIS essay and teacher LORs at 8th grade.

1 Like

Yes, my ds also got into post.

Same my kids went to public school and second one made it to Harvard and the elder one is in top surgery residency program after T15 med and T5 public Premed education and is in better program than most of his undergrad Ivy peers and his batch HPME selects who are year ahead of him

However I do believe that percentage of outcomes of expensive private feeder vs public high schools for overall class is the motivating factor for rich to burn money but have seen some middle class ORM doing the same

Few success stories won’t give exact picture to folks who have lot of money to burn on kids education starting high school

Congratulations !! Feel free to PM me with any questions.

1 Like

Harker is $60k/year (in just tuition snd fees), Jesuit schools (Mitty, St. Francis etc.) are $20k/year, few other private schools are $30k/year

I have been looking at match lists, and Drexel typically has -18 match to CA, as does BU while NJMS has just 2-5. If coming back to CA is a goal, Drexel and BU seem to have better stats.

My awesome son didn’t get PPSP at CWRU but congrats to everyone who did. Thw bummer is that he’s become even more excited about Case in the past few weeks so I think it might sour him on attending there, when I think it could be a good fit for him. We’ll see how Ivy Day goes later.

3 Likes

Reading match lists is a fool’s errand. There is so much you can’t tell, like what the applicants first choice program was, what each class was generally interested in, etc. Hypothetically, if a school like NJMS only had 2-5 seniors who wanted to match CA, and Drexel had 30 who wanted to match CA but only had 18, wouldn’t NJMS be the better choice.

Successful matches depend on the connections the med student builds, whether it’s through research or away rotations at the desired program.

6 Likes

Many go to philly to research at UPenn.