Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

So nearly all teachers/counselors etc. in my D’s avg. school ( and many Americans) think spend 2 yrs in Community college, ace out, get into Cornell or top State school ( many have done it)- you saved tonnes of $$$. Now leave that to their kids!

Money wise not a bad argument except your top kid will be miserable for 2 yrs in Community college.

That typically doesn’t work premed or engineering since you miss research and internship opportunities. However self motivated can make it work anywhere provided they are in a decent location ie good public university close or they can apply to summer research programs.

Sir - My humble dad who grew up very poor in small village near Jaipur has opened a school/Dharmshala/hospital etc. in that and moms village- I take my mom every year ( she can not go alone) to those villages.

As our Shastra say- Daan if disclosed is not a Daan.

Lets not get into this but everyone can decide what they can afford or not afford to donate ( we as IIT B Alumni also have strong donation for IIT top faculty and helping poor students who make to IIT- One of my close friend in Bay area donated 2M in 2000 at tech boom and one of bldg. in IIT B is in his name).

I am sure Docs here have tonnes of $$. But lets not get into donation etc. with it.

So perhaps best to concentrate what we can do for kids here and donation topic is again irrelevant.

1 Like

Yes we are expecting That TJ will loose its purpose now. Already high achieving kids are not applying this year.

1 Like

I don’t know strengths and weakness of each of the programs. As per I know UMKC doesn’t give much price break and I am not in favor of 6 year programs.

As someone who lived in Boca, I am partial to that place :slight_smile: Once you go beyond T30 or T50 rankings don’t matter as per getting residency match advantage. It comes down to how kid does in medical school compared to peers and what specialty and where they want to match.

Speak to FAU students and find out how they are doing in the program and try to find how medical students are doing. Check SDN FAU threads.

2 Likes

The max tuition for any med school in TX is 25K/year plus living costs of 20k/year.

That’s how advanced societies decline. I am for consideration of diversity to certain extent especially in fields like medicine but not blatant quotas or lotteries.

3 Likes

Thx - So how is that different then say SBU or Upstate - I am not sure but tuition seems to be 30K or so instate ( living expenses are few K here and there) or is it double???

I got into Pitt!!!

18 Likes

Let me admit I have not done any R&D on residency match and not planning to do.
But here are 2 possible reasons I speculate. Of course Docs like @OldSchoolMD and other SME can shed more light.

1. Schools which primarily serve local demographics and majority of students are local near by states. NJMS fits that more than Drexel. It is a public school with state mandates and serve local population.
  2. Schools which have their own Univ attached hospitals and have pretty much all specialties. NJMS fits the former and Drexel with broken relationship with hospitals and trying to establish more affiliations with many hospitals across the country including CA. In general students who does away rotations apply to that place for residency and in general when home MD schools does not have many.
2 Likes

@compengineer1 I have no knowledge about SBU or Upstate so cannot really comment on it. Have personal exeprience with TX schools.

Congratulations.

Please share your profile in the results thread.

I have emory berkeley and cornell

1 Like

any $$$s from Emory?

half ride

What about Rochester?

half ride as well

Go with Rochester and assume you are in traditional path and plan to apply out (don’t tell anyone :slight_smile: ). May be Emory will give you full scholarship for medical school. One thing I noticed, medical school admissions are tracking UG admissions for lot of kids.

That’s correct. AMC results are still pending.

Woah - they track UG acceptances?? So are you saying I should apply out because Rochester’s med school isnt too good? Like what difference would it make for residency if i got like a school ranked 20. Rochester is 16 for primary care but 36 for research tie with brown