Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

There are two JEE - preliminary and advanced. Have a look at advanced test.

TJs ( magnet public high school) AP Chem class was the same way!

And through our BS-MD route, we don’t see colleges considering any grade deflation.

@fawnsmom - Sure, ofcourse. you should opt for whatever is the best for your family.

Just a few more things to consider -
Uconn is top 25 public university for undergraduate.
UConn is ranked No. 61 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 44 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care.

UConn by no means is a lesser university compared to T20 schools and getting into mid-tier medical school with in-state tution is good IMO. Instate price for both ug and medical school is what most people in this forum aspire for…Another important factor is to keep kid close to you as long as you can - since i am a mom, this is important :slight_smile:

When applying to medical schools, where you studied your UG has minimum influence. The primary factors that matter are - GPA (3.8 and above for ORM), MCAT score (higher than 518-520) and Good/excellent volunteering/shadowing/research opportunities among some other ECs.

3 Likes

This is how my daughter ended up B+ in AP Chem class in sophomore year.

Yes grade deflation is awful and we did not even apply to colleges that we knows grade deflation existed

Prof may have to respect department /college policy but they may have a lee way particularly if most students in class are not performing well. They may lower thresholds for A/B/C etc.

One distinct advantage with UConn program, if no one already mentioned, one can choose to explore or apply out while still retaining the slot in med school through BS/MD. So based on all the combination of factors, one can decide by end of junior year what to do in senior year, with the safety net of a guaranteed seat.

2 Likes

Sorry to hear that but I heard the same from @rk2017 several times in this thread. The competitive school may prepare you for rigorous courses but it’s definitely a disadvantage when it comes to admissions. I think one should go to an average school and do all the ECs outside of the school but one should have good knowledge about what and how to improve the profile independently. I have a friend who is familiar with the admissions process and what needs to be done in high school. Her son is a smart kid but wouldn’t have achieved the same success if he was in our school district. They are from small town and low level school district. The kid finally went to Princeton with full ride. He is doing MS/Phd now again with full ride.

1 Like

This may be unique case with the details not known, Princeton does not give full rides that easily, not to ORMs, IMO. So what did do differently. Is this related to regional preferences ?

I know them personally, it’s almost like a full ride. He is only paying some $6K or something per year for his UG.

1 Like

Looking at it all in a row- it was sooo much! Luckily he did a lot of chunking and basically applied in waves. He did his first applications over the summer, got his why med and common app essay done by Sept, and he had finished all his applications by Thanksgiving. He basically did an app or two every weekend.

Before that We sat down the summer of his sophomore year and made a college list, like a huge posterboard list with columns we hung in his bedroom. We tweaked it again mid- Junior year. He wanted to have as many options as possible and with his disastrous freshman year, there was no telling how it would play out. We were worried less about his selectivity and more about the schools :grimacing: I had someone mention “seems like he took up a lot of spots at schools he didn’t want to go to” and let me tell you, that Brown bear ain’t got nothing on a Momma bear :bear:

Yes, I understand as we were in same boat. My son is planning to do that by this weekend.

Thank you! It’s funny how people try to define what’s “good” level of involvement for parents- there’s such individuality to that! He won’t do if he doesn’t want to :joy: So there was never an issue of me forcing. I personally loooove research and planning so it works well for our model.

We butted heads every now and then- he got a bit burned out in February- but that hug I got after he read his PLME acceptance will always be one of my favorite moments.

6 Likes

Yes- in total agreement with you here. Prayers for your daughter- I am sure you & she discovered that there is indeed life after one B+ in AP Chem. (my DS17 is in the same boat right now with IB Math HL - smh).

1 Like

He has been going thru and doing so as we moved a new option up the list.

Hopefully there’s enough movement that some kids get off the WL! :crossed_fingers:t2:

1 Like

No doubt there EFC must be really low to qualify for almost a full ride due to the reasons @grtd2010 stated. Top schools/IVYS get super qualified kids so merit is usually not a criteria for aid in these schools. Ofcourse some have additional scholarships, usually specifically for research like Engleston in Columbia but usually these don’t cover tution/fees/living expenses.

1 Like

For regular undergrad, I would say look at Rice seriously.

1 Like

Thank you @GoodWishes123 for sharing your stats in the results thread.

1 Like

Wow. what were your son’s stats

Agreed. She had wonderful experiences at TJ. Made wonderful friends and relations with teachers/mentors. She will be a proud TJ alum and will be in TJ records for a few accomplishments.
Got to learn a lot. She is going to use all those hard working strategies in college now. And hats off to this college admission process, me and her became best friends. Every rejection from bs-md apps only made her strong. She analyzed every failure and I am very confident she is going to a successful, passionate surgeon!

Best wishes to all the kids!

4 Likes

I put his info in the results thread