Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I totally agree with your analysis and being a mom I had all these points in mind for deciding.

@Vicky2019 we are going through all this with my son. Balancing his fellowship apps, with finding the right girl for him. Absolutely not easy.

1 Like

On topic #2, with 2/3rds of medical students having gap years (and traditional path ones will be 1 year older) won’t BSMD students will be youngest in the class and limits their choices if they are interested in finding a doctor spouse unless they are OK with marrying slightly older ones? That was one of the considerations 4 years back since DS was the youngest boy in HS class.

Is yale not t10?

Not to me :slight_smile: I look at both ranks from USNWR and PD list. Seems like they made into research T10 this year but their primary care ranking is too low, may be due to location.

oh i just assumed cause its Yale. How much do med school rankings matter someone told me to take the offcder but focus on applying oiut or just go to duke

No school is good in everything! Depends on what you are looking for? Prestige/challenge/money?

A solid residency match for internal medicine

“The University additionally admitted 45 Questbridge scholars, and 19 students to the Program in Liberal Medical Education — a 10 percent acceptance rate to the program.”

Source: Brown accepts record-low 15.9 percent of early decision applicants - The Brown Daily Herald

Rochester is solid but not super solid :slight_smile: Other thing is no one knows how BSMDs at each school do compared to those who came thru traditional path so you can’t purely go by match list. For competitive specialties you may need publications if you want to match into top programs. So those with gap years may have advantage there.

1 Like

Retired Economist here: sorry to be a wet-blanket. Seems like your statistical pool of n= 4 or 6 has complete bias since everyone you spoke to has an UG student who is going to a top-tier SOM.

1 Like

Hello everyone! I have committed to the SBU Scholars for Medicine program. If anyone else has already decided to join this program, I would love to chat. Thanks!

5 Likes

@srk2017 Would you mind sharing your C’s MCAT, GPA and other ECs as it will help your perspective about T5, T10 or T20 med schools. General impression is that it is becoming increasingly difficult for SouthEast Asian male to get into T10 med schools every year.

Trying to DELETE this post.

Hi there! Karen F. from FL mentioned you and your DD at HPME. EDIT: Send DM.

---- deleted

I see. What I am scared about is that i am limiting myself at rochester instead of going to cornell or duke. I though rochesters med school is really good going in but i want to aim for a t20 residency (Internal med). I want to get there but am kind of scared because I am sacrificing prstigious undegrad but the program itself is very solid as well.

You may or may not get in to a T20 IM residency, it is not guaranteed, no matter where you do your UG or your state of residency. You are misguided about NRMP process. It is the computer algorithm which decides who matches where. All one does is rank those institutions where one had interviewed. All institutions in a particular specialty, also rank all those whom they have interviewed. It is a many-to-many match process.

See my above posts for my reasoning regarding this

Im confused because i see all but one being really solid matches from roch (t20) for IM for residency. There is one overseas and one in loyola otherwise its Beth Israel, Columbia, Duke, New Haven