Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Has anyone heard from Siena/AMC yet?

With your stats, go the traditional route and work hard from Day 1.

Finally agreeing on a recommendation :wink:

Hi all, My son got in UMKC , SLU Med and UToledo bsmd and also UG at Rice, Vandy and Duke. He likes Rice due to close community and great campus. Any opinions on choosing UG Rice/Duke/Vandy premeds over BSMD in this case? He has great stats and missed some BSMD apps since we were late in the process.

Any money from Rice/Duke/Vandy? Duke is known for grade deflation. Vany and Rice are similar but Vandy medical school is next door.

Why is Rochesters med school rank relatively high if it only has an average of 3.7 gpa - not to say that that’s easy but it gives me second thought about staying instead of applying out. Even though I know the med school is solid i would’ve expected the average mcat (514) to be higher too

Is there a grade deflation in Rice?

My D is considering Rice too and from our research we couldn’t find anything on grade deflation. The Texas Medical Centers right across the street from Rice and the endless research and shadowing opportunities there, make it a really ideal place for a pre-med student.

I haven’t heard about grade deflation in Rice. Vandy has no deflation (or inflation). Work Hard Play Hard.

Why do people apply for BS/MD programs when they end up preferring traditional colleges instead?

Location is big disadvantage and that may be the reason for lower stats.

Not trying to attack anyone just looking to understand different perspectives.

FWIW, its always a personal choice, we have 1 bsmd but still going UG route.

Did you get off of waitlist at UMKC?

We have UIC GPPA but waiting for some other waitlists and strongly considering UG.

No one knows how admissions play out and if you already know you are interested in medicine you apply to BSMD programs and other UGs and decide based on where you go it.

Some invest lot of time/resources/connections to get the required experiences and don’t want to do it again and also go thru application and interview process.

In our case, DS applied to 6 BSMD, got 2 but he had better success with regular UG and decided to take that path since S goal was T5 and felt worst case he can again get into same schools that offered BSMD.

1 Like

Rice was and is our number 1 choice for all the reasons you mentioned. We are waitlisted but will select Rice if offered over other UG/BSMDs.

Which did he get into bs md

I thought you said you were rejected from UIC GPPA interview? I am a little confused

Thank you @srk2017 and @Totoros. @Sooar78 : It is again personal choice . My child prefers a great location with many opportunities and also flexibility.