Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

I need some advice for my DD college selection:

We narrowed our college list down to RPI/AMC vs UG Vandy (no merit aid) vs Emory (15K merit) vs Instate (free tuition). We heard RPI/AMC decision few days ago and don’t have financial aid information from RPI. We don’t qualify for need based aid.

Looking for insights into RPI/AMC program as my DD wants to consider that over other options.

RPI: How hard is to maintain required GPA (3.5) and other requirements to stay in the program? Students drop out of the program due to the requirements? How is campus and student life?

AMC: How good is the school (as they don’t seem to participate in the rankings)? Also heard very expensive?

We didn’t get a chance to make any campus visits and may not be able to visit before commitment date due to COVID (as we are from west coast). Would appreciate your thoughts/suggestions/alternate view points.

Hopkins is out, trying to decide between the remaining two.

What’s your state?

Oregon. Although my DD did excellent in high school (with lot of APs), I believe Oregon school standards are much lower compared to other states. So concerned about maintaining requirements to stay in the program.

How hard is to get into instate medical school? What are AP scores? Any science competitions?

There is a simple answer. Are you a risk averse person or some one who likes to take risk ? If you are a risk averse person, take REMS, other wise it is a regular UG for a risk taker.

RPI is mainly an engineering school with a very few females in campus and there is not much do in the campus. Ask your D, how she will feel in a school filled with a engineer/scientist minded males.

1 Like

what is the date for “commit to Enroll” ? May 1, 2021.

Please make a choice before May 1 and pay a deposit. You can wait for Rice to inform you after May 1.

There is no plan to confirm :wink:

PTE (Plan To Enroll) is 04/30 - You need to pick a school but can stay on waitlists
CTE (Commit To Enroll) varies by school. CTE means you are committing to a school and withdrawing from all WLs.

DS has 4 WLs but not interested in any of them. AAMC also recommends narrowing to 3 schools if you have more than 3, S already did that.

Corrected, AAMC website has this. How long can your S wait to do a "Commit to Enroll " to UCSF or UPenn ?

yep, already did it. thanks.

Probably decide on April 29th :slight_smile:

1 Like

@srk2017 Interesting comment, but away rotation may be needed for those specialties.

You have insider info!
:wink:

April 15 is the deadline by which AAMC requires students to shortlist the top3 choices.

BTW - which three did your S select - UCSF, Penn and ?

Some schools may give one until end of June to commit to enroll. But you have to put that school as “plan-to-enroll” list. So only thing folks are waiting is movement in waitlist after April 30, 2021. This is not applicable to your S.

1 Like

Personally, in my sample size of <10, Duke has NOT worked out for majority of folks.
This includes both pre-med and pre-law.

Please be aware of the following aspects of Duke

• Only 70% of students apply in their senior year or after gap years i.e. 30% of pre-med students (who survived weed out classes) decide not to apply.
  • More than 75% of Duke students will take at least one gap year
  • About 70-80% Duke students who apply make it to medical school
  • A Duke students applies to an average of 22 medical school
  • Average Science-GPA is about 3.6
1 Like

with my limited info/experience, it seems that up to t-15 for pre-med might not be that desirable due to grade deflation and will require lot of work on part of the students to maintain GPA and then get great MCAT score.

maybe t-20 to t-30 might be more desirable to get good GPA, focus on MCAT with good research/shadowing/volunteering experience during pre-med years.

1 Like

Yes, lot of them do that but heard those are not easy later.