Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

Congratulations to your D and your family. Share details about ECs and why you opted for BSMD vs regular UGs.

GL to your D. I know couple of students in that program (but I am not giving names :slight_smile: ) and do share her experiences in this thread

as community service. My participation is last 3 years is to debate pros and cons and not blindly advocate for one path.

Congratulations to your D. It would help others if you can layout why not BU SMED ? Is it the cost of BU SMED over any merit scholarship at TCNJ-NJMS ?
Just curious, did any interviewer ask her about your D’s shadowing experience in India ? What was the reaction - positive or negative ?
It is usually not recommended to do a medical volunteering/shadowing trip in a foreign location like India, South America etc.

1 Like

My D was really interested in and passionate about her ECs, especially the shadowing in India. She talked a lot about healthcare access in her essays and interviews, and used her knowledge of barriers to care in the US. Her research in immunology was also discussed a lot in interviews. It tied in especially well due to COVID. She shared her reflection about the application process in the Results thread.

As for why BSMD over regular UG, my daughter pretty much made the decision on that. She wants the guarantee of going to medical school and isn’t bothered too much with rankings. She also really liked NJMS and that it was in a city.

Thank you.

3 Likes

@bsmddad15 - Congratulations to your D and the proud family on getting accepted to 10 BSMD programs. Wish her the very best for her future at TCNJ/NJMS and beyond!

Thanks to your D for putting together a nice reflection including advice to students planning on applying to BS/MD programs. It is really well written :+1:

1 Like

@rk1235rk - Congratulations to your D and the proud family on her strong results. Wish her the very best for her future at BU SMED and beyond!

Thanks for your post in the results forum and especially for your reflection on essays and interview. 100+ essays is huge and all her hard work paid off
:clap: :clap:

Thank you very much. She decided to not go for BU SMED for a few reasons:

1. Cost. With little to no scholarships, BU ended up being really expensive compared to the TCNJ-NJMS program.
  2. NJMS is a solid medical school, with lots of access to care for underprivileged. My D is really passionate about that, and this played a big role in her wanting to go to NJMS. Also, there are a lot of in-house residency options that appealed to her.
  3. When talking to students at TCNJ, many finish in 2 years and take the extra year to do a masters/research/travel/pursue any other interests. My D thought this would be a great opportunity for her to pursue additional research.

Also, yes, she got lots of questions about shadowing in India. The response was overwhelmingly positive, as interviewers were interested in how she can use that knowledge to benefit healthcare in the US. It also wasn’t a mission trip. She spent an entire summer working there. Further, she didn’t go to “help the poor” - this was a really solid government hospital in India (rare, I know), with state of the art facilities. She learnt a whole lot and conveyed that well in her interviews. My D is an excellent communicator, due to debate and being in a humanities-heavy program in school. I think this worked in her favor.

3 Likes

Thank you very much. We really appreciated all of your advice when applying!

Do you mind telling which state or region in India like Southern India ( around Chennai), North India ( around New Delhi), Western India ( near Mumbai), Gujrat, Bengal, Northeast India, Central India. Where can one find such a government hospital ?

Thank you @Vicky2019.

I actually prefer this discussion in results thread than here so that future applicants don’t have to dig thru thousands of message.

Congratulations on TCNJ-NJMS!

I would agree.
@bsmddad15 - will you be kind to copy your two posts and past it in the Results thread?

1 Like

Glad you agreed. All congrats and generic comments should be here, but reflections discussions belong in results threads.

@SpeedSkater

Would you mind updating your original post in the results thread with these developments (hope you still can) once you finalize your decision?

Of course, will do.

1 Like

Sincerely thank all the students and parents for all your posts in the results thread. Not only this year many posted compare to last few years but each one of your posts clearly reflects the reasons for your success and gives excellent suggestions and reflections for future students/parents. Feel happy.

Happy Friday!!!

Our son BSMD Journey ended up not fruitful and parents and kid are bit disappointed and moving on.

We need your expert advice on choosing the Undergrad for the traditional path for the Medical program.

BSMD

NJIT/NJMS interviewed and rejected
Hofstra interviewed and rejected
Temple interviewed and rejected
VCU rejected
University of Alabama rejected
Upitt rejected
Case western rejected
University of Rochester rejected

Undergrad

Case western accepted $35 K Scholarship
University of Rochester $25K Scholarship
Upitt $25K Scholarship
VCU Tuition and Boarding covered
University of Alabama Tuition and Boarding covered
Syracuse $30 K Scholarship
Temple $25 K Scholarship
Hofstra $35 K Scholrship
NJIT Tuition and Boarding covered( need to pay 2K per year)
UVA no Scholrship(instate)
UMich waitlisted
Georgetown waitlisted

We did planned, budgeted and funded son Bank account for traditional route for the Medical program.

Appreciate your responses and thanks in advance for taking the time to recommend us!

Go with VCU/Crimson as long as it is a fit for your son.

1 Like

I would explore - Case, Pitt, and Rochester - in more detail and explore where the fit is.

Data point that may help you - # kids who apply to medical schools :
Pitt - on an average about 300-350
Case - about 200
Rochester - about 150

I would put UVA over OOS money to those schools as education among those schools are not significantly different.

1 Like