Thread for BSMD 2020-2021 Applicants (Part 2)

@LargeTortoise @highschoolinnj - apologies for the bad news. DC rejected as well for Hofstra 4+4 Program. Got email just now.
@LargeTortoise - received same email. i’m pretty sure they sent it to all those rejected after interview as they hope to convince them to consider their university nonetheless.

Wish NYU had BS MD a with no tuition for both undergrad and med school.

3 Likes

Missed the BS MD but got into UCB today

3 Likes

@bondpv- Congrats.

D also got UCB today ( think couldnt see any money yet) and already had UCLA ( gave 25K to make like instate)- Both Bioengg./BME.

Lehigh gave full ride.

3 Likes

got email from tcnj

6 Likes

NYU undergrad used to have early assurance programs back in the 1990’s (my best friend during medical school and my cousin took advantage of it). i’m not sure if it still exists, however.

not sure any undergrad can or is willing to boast tuition-free since that’s a lot of students and a lot of revenue that would be lost by the university. i guess scholarships would be considered differently. medical school, however, may be more doable since it doesn’t encompass as many students, usually ~100. surprisingly, other top schools didn’t follow. i guess if you’re Harvard, Hopkins, etc., you’ll still get top candidates. it certainly helped NYU shoot up the rankings in USNWR (i think #4 currently, as high as #3 a couple of years ago).

NYU med school going tuition-free was a little bitter sweet. while i was proud that it was an innovative move to help obtain the most competitive applicants nation-wide, it also came a couple of months after i just completed paying off my medical school loans (not related, but i thought ironic). more relevant, it essentially eliminated whatever small advantage one had of applying to the med school as a legacy (there were several students in my class whose parents were med school alumni). thus, the BSMD strategy for my kids…

Also received TCNJ email!!!

4 Likes

This is ridiculous, TCNJ emailed us in Jan and said that they are not going to forward to NJMS. They sent email now saying Congratulations even though they did not send our application.

Were you forwarded from another feeder? I would reach out to them

This is not ridiculous but an invitation for you to join TCNJ UG. All feeders receive a list of NJMS BSMD accepted candidates.

my D got into both UCB & UCLA too. Got both Honors & Regents Scholarship to UCD.

3 Likes

If you are CA resident, why not take UCB/UCLA UG instead of NJMS BSMD.

1 Like

You were not forwarded by TCNJ to NJMS but you received acceptance to the BS/MD program from TCNJ?

Yes, Rutgers-Newark forwarded to NJMS.

1 Like

Do not be surprised. They are trying to get any accepted NJMS BSMD to join TCNJ.

OK, I thought each feeder will receive their own list and that’s why TCNJ mentioned in Jan email to reach out to them if we decide to join them after NJMS acceptance.

According to TCNJ, only 30 students were admitted this year. This is much fewer than last year, when 40 students were admitted.

1 Like

TCNJ did not call/send email until today where NJIT did call on Monday.

Total 30 from those forwarded by TCNJ.

Is UCB/UCLA UG better than some BS-MD ?